Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118635 times)

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1560 on: July 03, 2010, 06:14:51 am »

How do I link a lever to a door?

step by step.
[edit]NEVER MIND, JUST FOUND

also, do doors block water?

[edit] does vertical block turtles and other animals from passing?
I'm about to flood a place just aside a water-pools with turtles
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:20:40 am by win32anon »

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: July 03, 2010, 06:31:26 am »

Pretty sure turtles can spawn in any water that's connected directly (that is, nothing blocking the path) to outdoor water. Your fisherdwarves will scoop them up if they do get in. Vertical Bars probably block anything in the water except the liquid itself.

Question:
Can I direct my dwarfs to clean up muddy floors?

Bonus Question:
Can I make the dwarfs stuff all these bags into a chest or something? Seriously I have tons of empty useless bags from buying sand.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:34:51 am by Passive Fist »

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:33 am »

I think I heard that dwarves automatically clean up muddy floors, but only if they are finished floors.  Not sure though.

Anyway, quick question:
Do fluids trigger pressure plates?  If so, what depth does the fluid need to achieve before the plate triggers?  Also, I'd assume that normal rules for magma-proof-ness would apply to pressure plates?

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: July 03, 2010, 10:21:47 am »

is there a way to designate a stockpile for only objects to be melted?

I want this, but I doubt it's in the game now. It would be a great utility to help siege cleanup and increase efficiency when melting down other less valuable armor/weapons/furniture/other without micro managing stockpiles.

Where do we make formal feature suggestions?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: July 03, 2010, 10:28:13 am »

Anyway, quick question:
Do fluids trigger pressure plates?  If so, what depth does the fluid need to achieve before the plate triggers?  Also, I'd assume that normal rules for magma-proof-ness would apply to pressure plates?

Depends on whether or not you set the pressure plate to trigger on contact with water, and what water level you set as the trigger level.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: July 03, 2010, 01:39:18 pm »

I have a question.
Sometimes, my military guys get "was upset about being relieved from duty" bad thought, which results in unhappy state. As i understand, this thought is triggered only when i expell him from squad, isn't it? Or everytime i cancel some order, the military dwarf (dedicated warrior lol) may get this?
Cause last time when he got it (my maceman) he was stationing with squad to search some hobo parties. Then i canceled station and he gets this thought. Can't understand it   :-\

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1566 on: July 03, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »

Pretty sure turtles can spawn in any water that's connected directly (that is, nothing blocking the path) to outdoor water. Your fisherdwarves will scoop them up if they do get in. Vertical Bars probably block anything in the water except the liquid itself.
Turtles will actually randomly appear in nearly any body of water on the map, regardless of it being connected to any outdoor water source.  Turtles are vermin, and vermin teleport around randomly to any spot that's an appropriate biome for them.  Until your map runs out of turtles, which happens pretty easily.

Can I direct my dwarfs to clean up muddy floors?
Dwarves with the 'cleaning' labor enables will automatically clean smoothed or constructed indoor floors.  They won't clean rough floors, soil or sand, or outdoor floors.

Can I make the dwarfs stuff all these bags into a chest or something? Seriously I have tons of empty useless bags from buying sand.
Empty bags go in a Furniture stockpile.  They don't get stored in chests or bins unfortunately.

When you build a Pressure Plate, you select what triggers it (magma, water, citizens or any creature) and the level of magma or water it triggers for, or the size of the creature.  And if you want a pressure plate to survive magma you need to make it using mechanisms made from magma-safe materials.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: July 03, 2010, 01:54:02 pm »

I was wondering why I stopped getting shells in my refuse pile. So the turtles actually stop spawning? That's awful. I need those shells basically continually due to moody dwarves.

Schpwuette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: July 03, 2010, 03:38:25 pm »

I've seen the initialism HFS used plenty of times, and learned to equate it with hell, but I still don't know what it actually stands for. Could someone enlighten me?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 03, 2010, 03:40:11 pm »

It stands for Hidden Fun Stuff.

I embarked on a frozen wasteland. The only sources of water are frozen. How do I irrigate?

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: July 03, 2010, 04:40:08 pm »

For some reason, i haven't see any intruders or anything hostile except monkeys and birds, how would i get wars started?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 03, 2010, 05:01:34 pm »

For some reason, i haven't see any intruders or anything hostile except monkeys and birds, how would i get wars started?
It's possible your fort is inaccessible to goblins and kobolds. I just genned a word with dozens of dwarf civs and nobody else, so I'll never get sieged. I'll get Forgotten beasts, and megabeasts, but that's it.

It's also possible you're too poor to be worth they're notice, or you've been unlucky in rolling for sieges. In that case getting extremely rich (by, f. e., engraving the entire fort) could be useful. Note that this will also get you plenty of immigrants, so if your problem is you've only got 19 guys this tactic will fix it.

The third possibility is you've turned sieges off in the raws and have forgotten to turn it back on.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: July 03, 2010, 05:05:36 pm »

I've removed Aquifer tags, i wouldn't think that would effect it.

EDIT
I just caught two goblin baby snatchers. Soon i'll see something good.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:13:48 pm by Comrade »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: July 03, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »

If you capture humanoids (goblins, humans, kobolds, elves) in cages, will they die of starvation? Also, if I let them loose once they've been captured, would they then starve to death or eat if food is accessible?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1574 on: July 03, 2010, 05:35:32 pm »

I just had a Titan spawn, made out of fire by the way. So now my world is covered in ash. Anyway, he spawned while I was being sieged by goblins and two of them casually walked up to him and hacked him to bits. I'm now officially more scared of goblins than Titans. How common is this?

Random titans/forgotten beasts made of funny materials like vomit, amber, steam, fire can be invulnerable to combat (a bug, should be fixed for .31.09) or a total cakewalk.
Try the Genesis mod with firebreathing orc shamans and firebreathing dwarf castes.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 1178