Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118194 times)

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1470 on: June 29, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »

You can dig through warm rock.  Just make sure you know what's on the other side first.

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: June 29, 2010, 08:04:21 pm »

Hey for some reason my farms can't see my seeds. It just says "no seeds available from this location" anyone have any idea why?
You need to irrigate your farm. Make sure there is a tile of at least 1/7 water on every square, otherwise the entire thing won't be usable.
Alright I found the problem, you cant farm straight up on soil tiles. (should probably have specified)
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: June 29, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »

How far can I expect to hit an underground cavern? I've dug down quite a bit but I've yet to hit it.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: June 29, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »

For some reason, tame large animal isn't working for me. I have an animal that doesn't require a dungeon master, but it won't let me tame it. Also, any time I try to put my cursor on an animal while using the tame animal command and then scroll past a building, it acts as though I'm using the Q key and then lists the commands for that building.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: June 29, 2010, 08:44:15 pm »

Can caged creatures break free from their cages in 2010?

For instance, having a dragon get lose after getting caught in a cage trap?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: June 29, 2010, 09:44:02 pm »

For some reason, tame large animal isn't working for me. I have an animal that doesn't require a dungeon master, but it won't let me tame it. Also, any time I try to put my cursor on an animal while using the tame animal command and then scroll past a building, it acts as though I'm using the Q key and then lists the commands for that building.

Tame large animal requires:
1) you have a large tameable animal in a cage
2) going to the Kennel, using "q" and pressing "m" for Tame Large Animal

If you don't have any eligible animals, the next screen will be blank. Otherwise, you'll get a list of animals to tame, select one, and the animal trainer will go over to the cage carrying some food to use for taming.

At no point do you need to move your cursor over the animal... if you have a cursor you can move then you are at the normal interface screen, not at the Kennel taming screen.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: June 29, 2010, 10:07:37 pm »

Tame large animal requires:
1) you have a large tameable animal in a cage
2) going to the Kennel, using "q" and pressing "m" for Tame Large Animal

If you don't have any eligible animals, the next screen will be blank. Otherwise, you'll get a list of animals to tame, select one, and the animal trainer will go over to the cage carrying some food to use for taming.

At no point do you need to move your cursor over the animal... if you have a cursor you can move then you are at the normal interface screen, not at the Kennel taming screen.

oooohhh.... I thought the animal had to be out of the cage.... Dang, I feel stupid... And now I have a hippo loose in my fortress... >_>

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: June 30, 2010, 04:50:08 am »

I just had a Titan spawn, made out of fire by the way. So now my world is covered in ash. Anyway, he spawned while I was being sieged by goblins and two of them casually walked up to him and hacked him to bits. I'm now officially more scared of goblins than Titans. How common is this?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: June 30, 2010, 06:08:46 am »

Is it possible to farm on smooth floors? I have this room that's already smoothed but I want to make it into a farm.

Also, is it normal to still get migrants when I have the pop cap set to 100? I just got a wave of 7 guys even though I was already over the cap.

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: June 30, 2010, 06:17:28 am »

Is it possible to farm on smooth floors? I have this room that's already smoothed but I want to make it into a farm.
I think so you just have to irrigate it which makes the floor rough again
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1480 on: June 30, 2010, 07:47:01 am »

I think so you just have to irrigate it which makes the floor rough again
Irrigating smoothed floors results in muddy smooth floors.  You can farm on muddy smooth floors, but if any of your dwarves have spare time and the 'cleaning' labor enabled, they will come by and clean up the mud.  Which will make the farm stop working.  So you can farm on muddied smooth floors, but it's not a good idea as it won't last long.  Farm on muddied rough floors instead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: June 30, 2010, 08:32:30 am »

Ahhh, but burrows fix that; put the farm in a burrow that can only be accessed by dwarves with the cleaning labour disabled, and you're set.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: June 30, 2010, 09:36:51 am »

How far can I expect to hit an underground cavern? I've dug down quite a bit but I've yet to hit it.

That depends on the map.  I have one fort where cavern one starts on the 8th z level (magma sea on the 22nd), and one that cavern one started on the 26th level.

Also, perhaps I've gotten lucky but I've 'missed' caverns more than a couple times.   I dig down a 3x3 stairs usually until I hit something, and then find out I've dug past a cavern more than once when I decide to branch off the main stairwell to build something and suddenly break into a cavern.

Dig down and send off small exploratory paths every 3 levels or so past z level 10 and it'd be very hard to miss.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: June 30, 2010, 12:10:21 pm »

So I genned a world and found a spot that seemed likely to have a decent amount of obsidian. I was wrong. It had MASSIVE amounts of obsidian. However, I can't find it in my stocks->stone list. Figuring it was a bug, I looked it up like any good player. I found a "fix" of sorts (remove the [MAXEDGE:10000] tag in the raws) although it doesn't seem to be working... Do I need to re-gen? Do I need to fully remove the tag, since I just deleted the "[" and "]"? ([MAXEDGE:10000] -> MAXEDGE:10000)

I wanna make some cool obsidian stuff but until I get some skilled masons I'd rather leave it be. :/
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

kingkasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: June 30, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »

I looked through the wiki, but the information is not consistent on all the facets of the military. I just want to know if my soldiers will go about civilian tasks if I have their alert set to 'inactive'. They still do individual combat practice, but this seems to take precedence over all else. The specific problem I'm having is my animal dissector is doing his combat training but I need him for building a kennel. I try to assign others to hunting and animal training, but they wont build the kennel either.

Basically, I need to know if this is a problem with my military setup or something to do with the kennel.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 1178