Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117644 times)

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1350 on: June 25, 2010, 11:00:10 pm »

If it's otherwise unkillable, drown, burn or destroy it with water, magma, or a combination of both.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 25, 2010, 11:46:25 pm »

There's no token for combat invulnerability. Some megabeasts just don't have any bodyparts that cause death when removed. Siege weapons might have worked with the 40d system but now they cause normal damage, so you'd just be wasting adamantine making bolts. The only way to kill unkillable beasts is to use something like a cave-in, which outright deletes any objects under it.
Damm. I was looking for another, creative way to kill FB's. The only other idea i have would be to use water to flush them into the magma sea or the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Has anyone tried that and had success?
You might be able to flush them out, but if they dodge the obsidian created when hitting the magma sea, they can swim in magma. All of them. As for *CENSORED*, you could, but it would just trap it, not actually killing it, as the *CENSORED* would likely leave it alone as a similar class of creature(as opposed to, say, wild animals or goblin siegers).

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 25, 2010, 11:48:48 pm »

And I'm guessing dropping them 100 z-levels wouldn't kill them either?
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 25, 2010, 11:53:36 pm »

It depends. Some of them are just invincible because they're made of an unbreakable material, in which case it would work. Others, however, are invincible because they actually don't have any bodyparts that could cause death by removal, in which case nothing at all can kill them except obsidian and floors.The closest you could do apart from that would be to somehow get them into a fight with another invincible creature, so they'll pretty much go into stasis in their neverending fight.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 26, 2010, 12:00:10 am »

One last question...if I remember right, atom smashers don't work because FB's are heavier than the bridge right? or something like that. Would an atom smasher made of adamantium/slade work then?
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 26, 2010, 12:39:52 am »

Dropping bridges on large creatures destroys the bridge, regardless of the bridge's composition (Yes, even an adamantite bridge)

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 26, 2010, 03:00:23 am »

How do I designate a bloody massive dining room, 60x20, with entrances 12 tiles wide, without it overflowing into the next room? 

Essentially, I need something to block the flow from leaving the room.  I'm guessing just building some walls is the most effective way?

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 26, 2010, 03:03:37 am »

Designate walls/doors, and suspend them, then make your room.  That should work.

kingkasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 26, 2010, 08:29:59 am »

Is this the same for everybody:

1. Farmers plant seeds starting in the uppermost left corner and then down for all rows.
2. Farmers WILL NOT continue planting if one tile has ANY water in it (even when it is muddied)
3. Water does NOT always muddy tiles (they will not receive mud piles). When they don't receive mud further irrigation will not change it.

I have observed these three things after much testing; is this how it's supposed to work?

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 26, 2010, 09:45:24 am »

Ugh, I made a squad with miners and hunters. Now my two miners in that squad completely disregard mine designations and the third poor miner has to do everything on his own. They're not on duty, but all they do is stand in the room and train. How do I fix this?

EDIT: Fixed it by freeing the room.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:48:21 am by TheVeon »

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: June 26, 2010, 12:55:07 pm »

3. Water does NOT always muddy tiles (they will not receive mud piles). When they don't receive mud further irrigation will not change it.
Check if the tiles that don't get mud are smoothed or constructed. Your dwarves might be cleaning off the mud as it's formed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: June 26, 2010, 12:59:40 pm »

Is this the same for everybody:

1. Farmers plant seeds starting in the uppermost left corner and then down for all rows.
2. Farmers WILL NOT continue planting if one tile has ANY water in it (even when it is muddied)

I have observed these three things after much testing; is this how it's supposed to work?

1. This is a result of the pathing behavior that is used, it was like this in 40D

2. I think this is normal, not sure.

3. Definetly a bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2210

kingkasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 26, 2010, 01:36:02 pm »

Check if the tiles that don't get mud are smoothed or constructed. Your dwarves might be cleaning off the mud as it's formed.

I'm afraid not. It's all was all regular red sand, never built anything on them but the plots.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 26, 2010, 02:52:52 pm »

How do I designate a bloody massive dining room, 60x20, with entrances 12 tiles wide, without it overflowing into the next room? 

Essentially, I need something to block the flow from leaving the room.  I'm guessing just building some walls is the most effective way?

I've found an easy way is to simply set the doors of the room to external, designate teh room, then set the doors to internal. External doors block rooms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 26, 2010, 02:56:12 pm »

Is there any way to encourage trees to grow either inside or outside a fortress? Not out of some treehugging instinct but because it would be useful if my dwarves either a) didn't have to go outdoors for wood or b) have to trek halfway across the map repeatedly.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 1178