Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117589 times)

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1320 on: June 25, 2010, 01:09:54 am »

Still no ideas how to fix my problem I posted a couple days ago?
Having trouble getting one of my soldiers to pick up a certain weapon.  I assigned him armor/leggings and such just fine, but when I try to make him wield the iron battle axe I just produced, it isn't on the list of "specific weapon"s.  It's not forbidden, nor used by another dwarf.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 25, 2010, 01:15:52 am »

You should try and make another one. See if it's doing the same thing. Have you checked if your arsenal dwarf is busy or not?

-- I have a question in regards to region and embark size.
I'm having horrible FPS (20), so I decided to abandon and re-establish my fortress.
Should I choose a smaller embark site or a smaller region?
Which would benefit rate of FPS the MOST?
Would generating a smaller region and UPing my embark site work?

(Note that with about ten dwarves it drops down to 20!) x+X
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 01:18:18 am by xDarkz »

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 25, 2010, 01:32:50 am »

I've made several axes now, and an iron shield.  None of them appear in the  specific equipment choices.  I can't get an arsenal dwarf yet, I'm only at 16 population.

As for your low fps, a smaller embark region should help.  Are you currently using something > 4x4 atm?

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 25, 2010, 02:44:51 am »

I've made several axes now, and an iron shield.  None of them appear in the  specific equipment choices.  I can't get an arsenal dwarf yet, I'm only at 16 population.

As for your low fps, a smaller embark region should help.  Are you currently using something > 4x4 atm?

Hm..that's strange..It should work. "M" "E" "W" "Specific Item" o_o Are you following that sequence or something like that?

-- Noo, I'm only using 4x4, but it lags and stalls to a complete halt when every single dwarf/pet pathfinding...o_o...

Does anyone know the defaults to the typical "Create New World Option"? Is it a large island/region, a medium, or what? I'm trying to compare my FPS on several maps...I'd just rather not try and build up a fort to higher numbers only to figure out that it lags or completely stands still.

What are the disadvantages of having a smaller region in "Create New World with Parameters" Less Civilizations would prevent alot if any trading right? What else...

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:58:37 am by xDarkz »

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 25, 2010, 03:03:29 am »

Hm..that's strange..It should work. "M" "E" "W" "Specific Item" o_o Are you following that sequence or something like that?
Yeah that's what I'm doing.  They don't show up for some reason, however all the mail/plate I've made do show up.

What are the disadvantages of having a smaller region in "Create New World with Parameters" Less Civilizations would prevent alot if any trading right? What else...
I usually play on medium regions, and I rarely encounter lag.  As long as you have 2-3 or more nearby civilizations you should have plenty of trade caravans, and fairly often (assuming they aren't all hostile).

I'm not sure what the default "Create world now" uses.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 25, 2010, 03:20:38 am »

I had the same issue ... um... I'm trying to remember how I figured it out.
I think it has something to do with the dwarf you're assigning to not having the axeman skill?
Try assigning it to someone with axe skill...
Or maybe you still have to have an arsenal dwarf to use any weapon you want?
Honestly I stopped messing with the military for now until some of the issues are fixed.

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 25, 2010, 07:58:33 am »

Could someone help me with assigning levers? I get this huge list, and its impossible to pick out the right door when I have like 50 chalk doors. And when I select them theres no guarantee the camera focuses on them so I'm left very confused as to what is what.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 25, 2010, 08:00:41 am »

The attach lever thing is a little buggy atm.  Sometimes it won't zoom to the item in the list which you're currently looking at, which does make it hard to distinguish.  I can't say anything other than trial and error, unless you remember which order you installed them in.  The last item on the list of things to attach is the most recent one, and you cannot attach a lever to the same object twice, so it should rule out some of them.

(The zoom seems to be directed at the previous item on the list.  Say you have:
1 - Chalk Hatch
2 - Chalk Hatch <--
3 - Chalk Hatch

It will be showing you the area which contains #1, and not #2.  And if you go back to #1 after being at #2, it will then show you the location of #2, even though you have #1 selected)
Hope some of that is understandable and helpful...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:03:33 am by Executer »

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 25, 2010, 08:23:17 am »

The attach lever thing is a little buggy atm.  Sometimes it won't zoom to the item in the list which you're currently looking at, which does make it hard to distinguish.  I can't say anything other than trial and error, unless you remember which order you installed them in.  The last item on the list of things to attach is the most recent one, and you cannot attach a lever to the same object twice, so it should rule out some of them.

(The zoom seems to be directed at the previous item on the list.  Say you have:
1 - Chalk Hatch
2 - Chalk Hatch <--
3 - Chalk Hatch

It will be showing you the area which contains #1, and not #2.  And if you go back to #1 after being at #2, it will then show you the location of #2, even though you have #1 selected)
Hope some of that is understandable and helpful...
The fact that you told me that the most recent item was at the bottom of the list was very helpful. I suspected such but didn't want to waste time trying it. Thanks.

EDIT: Just noticed that if you select an item in the list then use the mouse to left click anywhere on the screen, the camera will jump to the right item and put an X on it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:41:09 am by TheVeon »

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 25, 2010, 08:46:24 am »

Nice, I didn't know that.  It normally puts the X on the right item, just that you often can't see it because the zoom is messed.

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 25, 2010, 10:11:12 am »

Will ogres attack gobbos?

I was going to create a fight ring with all my prisoners.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:41:03 am by TheVeon »

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 25, 2010, 10:35:28 am »

I had this very same problem recently.  I think the most reliable way to fix these things is just removing the barracks assignment ([f]ree the bed/armour stand/weapon rack), and disband the squad, and then make a new uniform or whatever.

Personally, I find that using a full armour set and then adding whichever weapon you want your dwarf to wield is the best way to solve any potential problems, although of course I have encountered a few problems, revolving around 'Metal' material types.  Using a specific metal in the uniform makes things less prone to go wrong.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 25, 2010, 02:05:53 pm »

Your embark size will affect your FPS, but region size never has, and should not do so now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 25, 2010, 04:49:39 pm »

You'll still trade fine, as long as the civilizations survive.  Small regions seem to have a higher chance of civilization extinction, but you can quickly check for that by doing a play-now embark, making sure all the races you want are listed, and then killing the game with e.g. task manager so it doesn't update the world.

Small regions also tend to have more restricted biomes, just because there's less land area for climate to vary over.  For example, a default medium region setup will almost always have both glaciers and tropical forests.  A small region setup might have one or the other, but it's rare to get both.  Again, you can work around this by repeatedly generating small regions till you find one that works for you - just takes more time in the setup phase.

It's also harder to find waterfalls in small regions.  In medium regions you often find them where streams join rivers, but in small regions there's typically not enough room to get sufficient watershed area to form rivers in the first place.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 25, 2010, 04:52:04 pm »

EDIT: Just noticed that if you select an item in the list then use the mouse to left click anywhere on the screen, the camera will jump to the right item and put an X on it.

I use F10 (reset zoom) to do the same thing from the keyboard.  Scroll through the list, hit F10 every time, and it will jump to the right item. 
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 1178