Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117389 times)

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1260 on: June 22, 2010, 09:58:31 am »

Military is giving me a little trouble recently. I've gotten sieged, and my dwarves happen to be training at the moment. I set them from "inactive" to "active/training" and even canceled training as designated at their barracks but they're not doing anything.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1261 on: June 22, 2010, 09:59:41 am »

Military is giving me a little trouble recently. I've gotten sieged, and my dwarves happen to be training at the moment. I set them from "inactive" to "active/training" and even canceled training as designated at their barracks but they're not doing anything.
Never set them to active/training.  This is bugged at the moment.  Leave then inactive and they'll randomly train on their own from time to time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 22, 2010, 11:34:46 am »

Never set them to active/training.  This is bugged at the moment.  Leave then inactive and they'll randomly train on their own from time to time.

I guess I wasn't clear. Since I've gotten siege, I need them to attack the siegers. Problem is they're not going into soldier mode.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1263 on: June 22, 2010, 11:37:14 am »

I guess I wasn't clear. Since I've gotten siege, I need them to attack the siegers. Problem is they're not going into soldier mode.
That's because you set them to train.  They can get stuck in training mode if you try to interrupt them while they're training and will never do anything useful again.  I don't know if there's any way to fix this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 22, 2010, 12:57:15 pm »

use the squad menu "s" select them then tell them to move some place.

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 22, 2010, 03:15:16 pm »

My military dwarfs just killed a grizzly bear that was harrassing my woodcutters. I ordered my butchery to "butcher a dead animal", but the order was cancelled almost right away, saying that there was no eligible animal.

Can you only butcher animals of your own that you have executed? How does an animal killed by a hunter end up at the butchery?

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 22, 2010, 03:19:13 pm »

My military dwarfs just killed a grizzly bear that was harrassing my woodcutters. I ordered my butchery to "butcher a dead animal", but the order was cancelled almost right away, saying that there was no eligible animal.

Can you only butcher animals of your own that you have executed? How does an animal killed by a hunter end up at the butchery?

Have you allowed your dwarves to collect bodies from outside?  They may be forbidden from bringing the kill in via the orders menu.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 22, 2010, 04:09:27 pm »

Have you allowed your dwarves to collect bodies from outside?  They may be forbidden from bringing the kill in via the orders menu.

If the body was already tasked to be brought to a stockpile then until it got there the butchery would cancel the job, since the corpse is currently occupied.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 22, 2010, 06:26:33 pm »

Another military-related question: Is marksdwarf training still broken? I have archery targets and ammo, but they're not training. I assume the marksdwarf stuff is still broken, though I may be overlooking something.
Question two: Will dwarves upgrade their armor and weapons? Ex: They're equipped with iron mail + weapons now, if I make bronze, will they go get bronze plate + weapons once the arsenal dwarf does his magic?

Edit: Made the post a litter clearer
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:39:34 pm by AxisKiller »

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 22, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »

iron chainmail > bronze plate imo

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 22, 2010, 09:51:45 pm »

Marksdwarves are still broken.

As for armour, it depends on what they are set to equip. But they should be able to wear both.

Going from the details on the wiki and a little experimentation in arena mode, this is the maximum possible armour a single dwarf can wear;

1 x breastplate
2 x mail shirts
7 x cloaks

2 x gauntlets
2 x mittens

1 x trousers
1 x greaves

2 x caps
1 x helm
5 x hood

2 x socks
2 x high boots

1 x shield
1 x weapon

Stuff on hands and feet are a single pair written as x2 because that is how you assign them in the arena. Not sure if you have to put two entries on the uniform/equip screen or not.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 23, 2010, 01:45:28 am »

Hey, speaking of military, is it true that manually pumping pipes increase stamina and thus prep them for the military? Where do you check this? Dwarf Therapist doesn't have a combat tab and viewing your unit doesn't say anything about that.

Bac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 23, 2010, 03:38:31 am »

I'm probably the one stupid here, but recently embarked on a flat frozen tree-less map so I didn't pick the wood cutting skill. Because of the hostile environment (terrifying) I do have 2 axe dwarves tho. Two Z-levels after the aquifer I had to go through I discovered a huge cave with some giant mushrooms to chop down. So I assign the wood cutting labor to my 2 axe wielders and resume the game ... Nothing happens. I order them to go kill some zombie to see if they still have the axes, they do. I cancel the order, they get back to their civ jobs but do nothing. I look at the job list, nothing about chopping trees. So I remove the assignation and do it again, no changes. I also tried to remove one from the squad, or to give the wood cutting labor to another dwarf. No success. The mushrooms are designed for cutting, black on a brown background, but not a dwarf cares. On a side note I have a farm running just next to the trees, so it's not an access problem. I really don't get what's happening, any idea?

Another question, the cave has one giant toad zombie in as the only inhabitants. Can some nasty thing spawn later? If I enclose an area, will that prevent them from spawning in?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 23, 2010, 03:43:53 am »

Are you sure the woodcutters can access the trees? Sometimes paths can turn out to be unexpectdly broken, especially if ramps are involved.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 23, 2010, 03:44:59 am »

I believe once dwarves go into the military they become bugged and will perform no civilian duties.  THey'll keep hold of those axes too, meaning even if you assign the woodcutting skill your new woodcutting dwarf can't get hold of anything to cut wood with.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 1178