Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117435 times)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1230 on: June 21, 2010, 10:23:29 am »

Try the d->b command series. By default it is set to claim items.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Temujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 21, 2010, 10:55:44 am »

Hello, all.
Two questions:

How do I dig a pit and then get my poor miner out of the bottom.  Currently, I have a ramp at the bottom to allow my miner out, but to remove it, my miner has to go down into the pit.  I want to create a Bronze colossus arena, where it lives in the bottom and I drop goblins down to it via bridges. 

Secondly, is there a version of dwarf therapist that works with .08?   I'm really missing it right now.

Thanks all
Temujin

raledon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 21, 2010, 11:20:01 am »

How do I dig a pit and then get my poor miner out of the bottom.  Currently, I have a ramp at the bottom to allow my miner out, but to remove it, my miner has to go down into the pit.  I want to create a Bronze colossus arena, where it lives in the bottom and I drop goblins down to it via bridges. 

You can, if you want, build two pits. One will be the arena, connected to the second (which will have stairs). After you finish building, block the second pit from the arena (b C w), and build a floor on top of it. Try to make sure the dwarf build it from the right side, though...

A few more questions of my own- I have an animal caretaker/trainer, but when I try to train war/hunting dog or tame a caught vermin/large animal, it fails. The dogs are roaming my fort, and the animals are in cages. Also, how do I release/let my hunters kill the big caged untrained animals so I can butcher them?

Try the d->b command series. By default it is set to claim items.
Thanks, it let me tell my dwarves to claim bolts lieing around. Problem is, like the gear from before they refuse to collect it. Any suggestions?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 21, 2010, 12:17:20 pm »

Is there any way I can force my cooks to butcher an animal corpse as soon as possible? I killed a ton of Elk Birds, and I want those corpses butchered before they rot.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 21, 2010, 12:32:49 pm »

@Raledon make sure they have access to the site, and not doing anything else. Other than that, I've also noticed that some shirts tend to get ignored, even if claimed and you have empty room in your stockpiles. I usually dump these (d->b->d). To collect outdoor dumped items, you need to turn on refuse handling outdoors (o->r->o)
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 21, 2010, 12:40:49 pm »

How do i start Fortress as human? The article on wiki says me to add the tag to race in objects/entity.. will it work?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Human

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 21, 2010, 01:02:03 pm »

How do i start Fortress as human? The article on wiki says me to add the tag to race in objects/entity.. will it work?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Human

You would need to add the [CIV CONTROLLABLE] tag to the human entity. Then on the embark screen, press tab until you are viewing the civilizations screen and scroll through the civs until you find a human one. Then you're playing as humans.

I think. I haven't actually done this myself.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 21, 2010, 01:11:54 pm »

Ah i got how to start. It's funny) Might try to build a human wooden city.
It seems that human are alcohol-addict as well. I am curious, are human affected by strange mood?

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 21, 2010, 01:29:26 pm »

I already posted this in the announcements thread for .08 but this is probably the better place for it.

OK, so the "cooking with liquids" issues are fixed, right?
Well, somehow I ended up with strawberry wine on the floor of my food stockpile.
A hungry/thirsty dwarf went to drink it, and now he's stuck in some sort of endless loop with strawberry wine in his inventory, but not able to eat/drink it.
I managed to make the wine on the floor go away by forbidding it, but it's still in his inventory.
He's constantly spamming "...cancels eat food item lost or destroyed".
How do I break him out of this loop and make the wine go away?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[edit]
I finally got him to drop it!
I created a dump next to him... and set the liquid in his inventory to be dumped.
After 1 more spam of "item lost or destroyed", instead of dumping it in a dump, he actually just dropped it on the floor.
So at least he's free of the loop, but now I still have wine on my floor.
I forbid it right away, so hopefully no other dwarfs try to eat it.
Seems to be a bug that it can happen at all though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:40:18 pm by culwin »

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 21, 2010, 02:14:44 pm »

(which happens to be composed of wood MOST the time ._.)
Now to my own question: how do I tell my dwarves to bother picking random stuff that lies outside of my fortress? For some reason I got leather and cloth items thrown around and nobody bothers taking them to my fort.

Thanks for the reply along with the humor :P. To answer your question, you can either designate an area for dumping inside the fortress and then press "k>d" when you're on the designated items. That's weird cause they should pick it up irregardless of where it is. Have you designated specific stockpiles for the items you want to pick up? If not, that's the problem. I don't have the game open right now but I believe it's either O or I, there should be an option for enabling or disabling picking up stuff outside.

PS: To dump/collect items in mass numbers, you (D)esignate it with (B) then (D) make the rectangle and hUZZAH!

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 21, 2010, 02:52:14 pm »

My chief medical dwarf got a strange mood and claimed a leather shop. He's asking for wood, leather, rough gems, and cut gems. I have all of those, but he will only grab leather. None of the materials are forbidden, what else could be wrong?

raledon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 21, 2010, 03:20:31 pm »

Thanks for the reply along with the humor :P. To answer your question, you can either designate an area for dumping inside the fortress and then press "k>d" when you're on the designated items. That's weird cause they should pick it up irregardless of where it is. Have you designated specific stockpiles for the items you want to pick up? If not, that's the problem. I don't have the game open right now but I believe it's either O or I, there should be an option for enabling or disabling picking up stuff outside.

PS: To dump/collect items in mass numbers, you (D)esignate it with (B) then (D) make the rectangle and hUZZAH!

No problem :). I just tried these, and the dwarves hate it. Atleast it's not that important.. (got a whole pile for armor/ammo/weapons). Strange thing is, I just created a new pile for metal ores and bars, but they seem to ignore it... kinda strange.

My chief medical dwarf got a strange mood and claimed a leather shop. He's asking for wood, leather, rough gems, and cut gems. I have all of those, but he will only grab leather. None of the materials are forbidden, what else could be wrong?
Try to get some more of each. I had the same problem once, needed bones, butchered an animal, and it didn't help... after I butchered another he took his share and finished.

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 21, 2010, 04:11:35 pm »

What kind of thread does the hospital need? I bought some pig tail fiber and cave spider silk thread from a caravan, but my hospital still shows 0 thread, and nobody has hauled any there.

I also bought cloth from the same caravan (the first dwarven caravan to arrive), and it got to my hospital with no problem.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 21, 2010, 05:33:08 pm »

Hospitals need boxes built to store the stuff, if you haven't already, try building a wooden chest or stone coffer on the hospital zone. Also, try turning auto loom off in "o"rders, your loom might be stealing it all before the hospital can.

The elves showed up with some caged carp to seize. Are they still nasty enough for filling a moat in v31?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:23:20 pm by Keuran »

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 21, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »

Since he's grabbed leather, you now know he's looking for the next item on his list - or he wants MORE leather.  He could also want a specific type of gem, which is often something that he has a liking for, so check his preferences.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 1178