Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117314 times)

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1215 on: June 20, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

I've been wanting to make circular towers and other constructions for a while now.  Problem is DF only has squares.  So does any one know of a way to generate the pattern I would need to create a circle out of squares?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:52:54 am by Urist the Dwarven Pirate »
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 20, 2010, 04:15:19 pm »

Where does the file from export image/info from world generation go in the DF folders?

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 20, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »

How can i get my military to equip my artifact steel spear?

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 20, 2010, 05:57:28 pm »

Ok, I'm tired of trying to dam my brook the traditional way. It's killing my FPS and I would be willing to modify the RAW files or use a mod. Anyone have any suggestions?

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 20, 2010, 10:01:46 pm »

How can i get my military to equip my artifact steel spear?

You have to assign someone a specific weapon. Artifacts will be on the top of the list. Be advised: Once a dwarf picks up an artifact, they were never put it down. Make sure you give it to the dwarf you want.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 20, 2010, 11:49:37 pm »

Disregard please =x
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:41:15 am by xDarkz »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 21, 2010, 02:41:34 am »

I've been wanting to make circular towers and other constructions for a while now.  Problem is DF only has squares.  So does any one know of a way to generate the pattern I would need to create a circle out of squares?
-Open up MS paint
-Zoom in lots
-Select the circle tool
-Hold down shift and grage the circle size you want
-Each pixel=a square in DF

Also, I heard rumours that there is no upper limit on embarks in DF 2010. Is this true? I looked at the worldgen settings, and I tried a couple test embarks, but there was still a maximum z-level. I heard mentioned that this moves up whenever you build upwards, but can someone confirm this before I commit myself to a megaproject?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 21, 2010, 03:04:09 am »

No, what you start with is what you get. That said, in the advanced parameters, it's possible to set the z-levels above ground to something like 100, which is an insane height, especially if you embark on a mountain.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 21, 2010, 04:08:32 am »

I know how density/shear determines a blunt/edged weapons usefulness, but what is the deciding factor on armor? My mayor just made a mail shirt out of nickle silver, his favorite metal (little does the bastard realize now I don't have any nickle silver to decorate his room with). I'm wondering if I should replace a steel mail shirt on one of my captains with it. I'd just try it for the hell of it, but I know that if he puts it on, he will never let go of the precious again.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 21, 2010, 04:10:26 am »

Hey guys...I was wondering if it's possible to relocate water or maybe even magma up multiple Z-levels...And if possible, how so?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 21, 2010, 05:59:21 am »

Hey guys...I was wondering if it's possible to relocate water or maybe even magma up multiple Z-levels...And if possible, how so?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pump_stack#Pump_Stack
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 21, 2010, 07:12:03 am »

Thanks StawberryBunny :], Pump Stacking -- I'll try that!

In any case, I'm here to pose a subjective question...
Should a newbie embark on a site with a Volcano?
I know the basics of Dwarf Fortress but as demonstrated above, I've still only scratched the surface.
Does starting at such a high altitude pose any hazardous effects? Not to mention what I read to be FIRE IMPS? O_O Visually (Imaginative of course, if that makes sense), it's kind of hard to conceptualize when you're still trying to familiarize yourself with the game. Additionally, one mess up and WHOOPS there goes my entire fortress (which happens to be composed of wood MOST the time ._.)

Should I settle on this map and stay away from the magma until convenient and necessary? It could serve for both experimental and conventional purposes (I mean, if I ever needed magma, I'd have to dig 100 or so Z-levels down + Present structure of "extreme" mountain if I'm correct.) There's something about wanting to retract a bridge when a column of enemies are rushing toward you. Speaking of enemies in pits of molten magma and otherwise...How do you throw someone into a pit? o_o

Again, what do you guys think? Embark on another site and wait until I'm sufficiently experienced before wasting my time with a fortress that will eventually be filled with magma... or give it a shot? Any input would be lovely :].
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:16:05 am by xDarkz »

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 21, 2010, 07:13:26 am »

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 21, 2010, 07:14:28 am »

I could've sworn I clicked the modify button. Gah. This has newbiness written all over it. Sorry for the double post.

Edit: Make that triple now ._.

raledon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 21, 2010, 08:58:32 am »

(which happens to be composed of wood MOST the time ._.)

What kind of a dwarf are you, you wood shagging elf (the worst (rright ???) name a dwarf can be called!)?!?! You are a dwarf son of a dwarf to the dwarven family of dwarves! Use stones!

OK I got that out of my systems. Now to answer your question- I personally believe that volcano is good if you got either sand or a lot of metals there (otherwise it's just a waste...). If you are afraid of what might jump out of it and want to be sure you won't disturb it till a time you deem you are ready, build a floor and construct a wall a few blocks around it (b C f/w), that should seal it and make sure you won't disturb it accidentally with the dig command. Nothing should be able to come out of it (according to the guides) till you open it.

Now to my own question: how do I tell my dwarves to bother picking random stuff that lies outside of my fortress? For some reason I got leather and cloth items thrown around and nobody bothers taking them to my fort.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 1178