Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116995 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1125 on: June 16, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

:EDIT:

Never mind, three seasons in one has started their first combat drill!

Strange thing, is that even though they have all jobs turned to off, they would still leave the dining hall to harvest food from the farms!
There are a couple jobs any dwarf can do. One is harvest plants. Even kids'll do that one, so sometimes they grow up to be farmers instead of peasants.

You can turn that off in the (o)rders screen.

Nick

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 16, 2010, 03:09:48 pm »

Well, I finally had my first ambush that I didn't run away from.  Minor military casualties; while my copper serrated discs didn't do too much, they helped a good bit and my squad finished them off.  What marred the whole experience were the 10 or so dwarves (possibly unactivated squad 2?) who constantly were leaving the burrow to go outside, getting killed in the process, and the constant spam of messages from dwarves stuck in my storeroom turned makeshift bunker.  While I now know I can have 3D burrows to ease some of the pain, are the dwarves (none assigned to the burrow) always restricted to that burrow then, even during no seige/ambush?

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 16, 2010, 03:19:27 pm »

There are a couple jobs any dwarf can do. One is harvest plants. Even kids'll do that one, so sometimes they grow up to be farmers instead of peasants.

You can turn that off in the (o)rders screen.

Nick

Thanks for that!

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 16, 2010, 06:57:14 pm »

Is there a parameter to lower the depth of caverns and if so will lowering there depth increase the number of z levels I have to work with.  I always embark in places that only have about 30z levels underground and I was wondering if this was a way I could get more.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 16, 2010, 07:01:21 pm »

you can set how many z levels between each feature.
It's fairly obvious if you're looking for it. So first you can set the number of levels to the sky. then below ground before the first cavern. Then how many below that cavern to the next... and so on. I think you can add about 500 z levels plus the sky, if I recall correctly.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 16, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »

How does dwarfs actually make acquisitions? Most of my dwarves had their items perish - shoes, socks, robes etc - in short they are naked) I wanna them wear something and i am going to make some cloth. And how do i make them equip it?

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »

Do fish never exist in freezing biomes or is this fort just unlucky? I'm not surprised that the small, artificially melted section of brook has no fish in it, but I am rather surprised that the caves are completely lacking fish as well.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 16, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »

What workshop makes chains?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 16, 2010, 10:14:44 pm »

What workshop makes chains?

ropes count as chains - which are made from cloth or silk cloth at a clothiers.
forges or magma forges are used to make metal chains.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 16, 2010, 10:19:39 pm »

Alarvin: Eventually, dwarves will grab any clothes, which are made from cloth at the clothier's workshop or from leather at the leather shop, that you have in your stockpiles. You can also set them as part of the militiary unmiform, but that may still be bugged.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 17, 2010, 12:18:48 am »

My military keep on getting caught in random bursts of flame,wtf is happening?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:37:18 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 17, 2010, 10:56:53 am »

Can building destroyers destroy buildings that are not on the same z-level as themselves? That is, if I channel ramps surrounding a building (like a raised drawbridge), do I need to remove the ramps to make it safe?

sajman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 17, 2010, 12:11:24 pm »

My iccle dwarfs fell asleep, never woke up and died of thirst!!!! Silly buggers couldn't have been that tired, most of them just fell asleep where they were. And two fell asleep in their beds. I knew they were asleep due to the little z flashing above their heads! Ive only been playing this game for a couple of days and i know its still buggy! just wondering if this is a bug or if ive done something wrong. capnduck tutorials helped alot. i also downloaded an older version, but i wana play the latest one as i dont wana have to learn it all over again. It already took me a good few hours to figure out i had to get mud on the rocks, then another hour to conjure up a suitable way! Tried using dwarfmanager with the latest one aswell but that didnt seem to work.

If the only way of ur dwarfs not dying from thirst making a still and them being constantly drunk? does that count as water? or is there a way of making cups for water etc etc

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 17, 2010, 12:42:11 pm »

If the only way of ur dwarfs not dying from thirst making a still and them being constantly drunk? does that count as water? or is there a way of making cups for water etc etc

It's not the only way, but it is the easiest. Dwarves are actually less productive when sober, so they'll work faster when drinking booze instead of water anyway.

If you can't crank out booze fast enough, use 'i' to designate a zone over and around part of a pond or stream, then select it and press 'w' to let your dwarves know they should use it as a water source. If there are no natural water sources available, you need booze.

sajman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 17, 2010, 12:43:04 pm »

will they drink from murky pools?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1178