Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116668 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1065 on: June 14, 2010, 08:56:25 am »

Are these hidden fun stuff or forgotten beasts [all encountered on adventure mode]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:27:41 pm by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 14, 2010, 11:03:14 am »

Hello again everyone!

Because of this lousy sand, I need to irrigate regularity. This has in turned pushed me to learn how to use mechanisms and levers. Now, though, I have a problem. Is there any easier way to connect a lever and a door than going through the list, door-by-door? Because the target door just isn't showing up on the list, and it's a long list.

Thanks!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 14, 2010, 11:12:21 am »

Hello again everyone!

Because of this lousy sand, I need to irrigate regularity. This has in turned pushed me to learn how to use mechanisms and levers. Now, though, I have a problem. Is there any easier way to connect a lever and a door than going through the list, door-by-door? Because the target door just isn't showing up on the list, and it's a long list.

Thanks!
I don't think so. I'd say just use a floodgate. You aren't going to have too many of them, so it stays easy enough to find the one you are after in the list.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 14, 2010, 02:04:01 pm »

I assumed floodgates were like doors for channels. Since my farm is on the same level as the base of the water, and not below it, I just open the door for a few moments to flood my field, then close it again. Or can I use a floodgate in place of a door in this instance?

Thanks again.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 14, 2010, 02:29:26 pm »

A floodgate hooked to a lever is largely the same as a door connected to a lever, but there are differences. The wiki has more, but the main differences are;

- You can't open a floodgate without a lever or pressure plate. Before being connected they act as walls
- Doors have to be built next to walls, floodgates can be built anywhere. Passages wider than 2 spaces need floodgates.
- Floodgates have a 40 step delay before opening/closing when triggered. Doors are instant.

Because they need hooking up before they can be opened, it's worth taking care to not trap the dwarf who builds the floodgate. If the mechanics are busy it can take a while before they are let out. I usually build them before finishing digging the path. Basically;

____XOwwww

_ = mined out area
X = floodgate built here
O = wall to be mined
w = water to be released

Then hook up the floodgate, mine out (or channel out) the last square and start the flow.

There are also the numbers involved in a fort. I have 300+ doors (I like contained rooms and double doors...) and only 15 floodgates built into my ten year old fort.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 14, 2010, 02:32:16 pm »

And that's what I get for making assumptions!

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 14, 2010, 03:16:51 pm »

On a map with little/no surface water... How should I go about irrigating farmland? Dig down to a cavern, pray it isn't occupied by something dastardly, and make a pump stack?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 14, 2010, 03:37:15 pm »

I just noticed the new Little Questions Thread.  Didn't get much response in the old thread for, I guess, obvious reasons.

I'm using the no-music .06 release, but my mouse doesn't work for designating digging/foresting/etc.  In have the init file set to [MOUSE:YES] already.  Is this a known issue, or did something change that I haven't been able to track down?
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 14, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »

Hello again everyone!

Thanks!

Another option is to remove then rebuild the door.  The list is based on which is built first, so by rebuilding it, that should move it to the bottom of the list and make it easier to find.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 14, 2010, 04:22:29 pm »

Quick question:

I've got a pond grabber in my .06 fort's cavern and I have been trying to get my military to kill them since the rest of my dwarfs refuse to go near the spot it's laying at. Problem is it's one level below and my militia isn't using the crossbows I've been assigning them . Is there any way to kill it or can I find a way to lure it out and into a trap? I really just want the damn thing away from some gem clusters I'm trying to get.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 14, 2010, 05:31:13 pm »

I just noticed the new Little Questions Thread.  Didn't get much response in the old thread for, I guess, obvious reasons.

I'm using the no-music .06 release, but my mouse doesn't work for designating digging/foresting/etc.  In have the init file set to [MOUSE:YES] already.  Is this a known issue, or did something change that I haven't been able to track down?

Hmm...possible incompatibility with your system?
What OS are you using?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 14, 2010, 05:34:08 pm »

Does ice always unfreeze when winter ends, regardless of where the ice is. I ask this because I thought of a few things to do with ice, but I'm pretty sure it will all just melt away when winter ends. But is there some way to prevent that?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 14, 2010, 05:48:05 pm »

I think constructing it into something will make it never melt.

Making ice blocks MAY do the same.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 14, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »

Quick question:

I've got a pond grabber in my .06 fort's cavern and I have been trying to get my military to kill them since the rest of my dwarfs refuse to go near the spot it's laying at. Problem is it's one level below and my militia isn't using the crossbows I've been assigning them . Is there any way to kill it or can I find a way to lure it out and into a trap? I really just want the damn thing away from some gem clusters I'm trying to get.

Crossbows don't work in 31.xx. Sorry.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 14, 2010, 05:50:38 pm »

I bought some animals in cages from the dwarf caravan- how can I free the animals themselves?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1178