Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117346 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #945 on: June 05, 2010, 11:23:17 pm »

You can use the mason's shop to make stone blocks.

He doesn't want stone blocks. According to my stocks, I have 62 of them yet he hasn't touched one. This is why I'm confused. If that is what he wants, I don't understand why he hasn't taken on already. If it's not, then I don't know what he needs.

It always seems to be metal bars, for me. I figured it out, when I checked the "bar" stockpile menu, and found all types of stone listed.

I have metal bars too though. I have almost everything I can think of that a dwarf would possibly need. I guess this guy is doomed to go insane.

But I can't really dwell on that, since this just arrived at my fortress;

The game announced it as a Weasel Brute Diplomat from Mong Bil. Yet Mong Bil is the human nation. So what the hell is this thing? Is it their diplomat? Can I talk to it? Can I kill it? Should I keep it out of my fortress? I'm worried that I might ruin my relationship with the humans or get my dwarves killed if I make the wrong choice.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 05, 2010, 11:40:45 pm »

You can use the mason's shop to make stone blocks.

He doesn't want stone blocks. According to my stocks, I have 62 of them yet he hasn't touched one. This is why I'm confused. If that is what he wants, I don't understand why he hasn't taken on already. If it's not, then I don't know what he needs.

He probably wants a metal bar, but which kind isn't clear...
Maybe try making a different type than what you have?  Definitely buggy... see discussion...
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010_Talk:Strange_mood

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 06, 2010, 12:56:17 am »

I have metal bars too though. I have almost everything I can think of that a dwarf would possibly need. I guess this guy is doomed to go insane.

But I can't really dwell on that, since this just arrived at my fortress;

The game announced it as a Weasel Brute Diplomat from Mong Bil. Yet Mong Bil is the human nation. So what the hell is this thing? Is it their diplomat? Can I talk to it? Can I kill it? Should I keep it out of my fortress? I'm worried that I might ruin my relationship with the humans or get my dwarves killed if I make the wrong choice.
I just had a similar message. I checked the Civ screen, and the hummies had two people listed: a General, and a lawgiver. The lawgiver happened to be a Forgotten Monster.

I never got to talk to mine (he found ambushing goblins for me, and died), but I assume it works the same as a human human ambassador would.

Unfortunately for me, since the lawgiver died on a diplomatic mission to my fort, I'm probably gonna start getting humie sieges.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 06, 2010, 12:59:03 am »

And now a little question:

My Baron has no legs, and refuses to stop resting in the hospital which means he can't meet the liason in his office.
I tried making his current hospital room his office, but he still insists on resting.

So I have two questions:

1) Will this Baron ever meet the liason?

2) If no, what will I miss? I don't really care about import/export agreements, but it would be kinda nice to be a Count.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 06, 2010, 05:40:30 am »

So I have two questions:

2) If no, what will I miss? I don't really care about import/export agreements, but it would be kinda nice to be a Count.

1) Probably not unless you destroy his bed or re-injure him with a cave-in or such.

2) As long as you can still provide lots of trade income to the convoy then you shouldn't have a problem getting the to the Count.  At least that is my understanding of how it used to be.  The new version has some strange quirks about the requirements to get nobles.

Fizzikx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: June 06, 2010, 02:03:15 pm »

OK so this problem seems to persist in both 40d16 as well as my 2010 game. At any rate, I have traded for various animals (cougars, dogs, jaguars) and I am able to build the cage and then link a lever to it to release the tamed creatures, but for whatever reason when I try to "train war animal" it will only use the dogs, and never jaguars or cougars (both tame).

In the z menu it even lists them as (eg) Stray jaguar (tame) [unavailable]. If I make them available by hitting Enter, they get adopted as pets.

Help!?
Thanks much in adv!

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: June 06, 2010, 02:16:49 pm »

If I'm on an island surrounded by ocean, will I ever get migrants?
If so, how do they arrive?
What if not all of the ocean is visible from my map (land goes up to my south border)?

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: June 06, 2010, 05:54:16 pm »

OK so this problem seems to persist in both 40d16 as well as my 2010 game. At any rate, I have traded for various animals (cougars, dogs, jaguars) and I am able to build the cage and then link a lever to it to release the tamed creatures, but for whatever reason when I try to "train war animal" it will only use the dogs, and never jaguars or cougars (both tame).

Do you have a Dungeonmaster in your fort?

Fizzikx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: June 06, 2010, 07:49:43 pm »

Do you have a Dungeonmaster in your fort?

Not yet, is that required? I've gotten up to 60 dorfs.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 06, 2010, 08:58:33 pm »

Only the Dungeonmaster can train exotic animals.

That and being a blacksmith is the reason he was the only useful noble in 40d, and still is the most useful one.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: June 07, 2010, 04:41:35 am »

Only the Dungeonmaster can train exotic animals.

That and being a blacksmith is the reason he was the only useful noble in 40d, and still is the most useful one.

I don't think many things are considered exotic these days. I have no DM (31.05) and I've been able to train all the giant cats, eagles, and bears the elves have brought me no problem. Do you have a ton of dogs? It seems to considered dogs the top priority, and will train all your dogs before moving on to different creatures. Also, various war animals were only added into the game in 31, 40d was only dogs.

Now my question: If I killed the clown leader of the local sieging goblin civilization, is that the end to sieges forever? I killed him well over a year ago, and I haven't seen so much as a single gobbo since.

Variant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 07, 2010, 05:29:49 am »

I've started a "no equipment" survivalist fort in a Cold biome, so the stream probably won't thaw until halfway through the second month. My question is: if I dig a pool underground and pit chunks of ice into it, will the ice melt into a useable water supply?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 07, 2010, 05:47:06 am »

If I'm on an island surrounded by ocean, will I ever get migrants?
If so, how do they arrive?
What if not all of the ocean is visible from my map (land goes up to my south border)?
If you are completely surrounded on your visible map by ocean then you will not get migrants, traders or invaders since they have no access to you.
If you are surrounded by ocean on the world map but not on the visible game field/map and dont have any other fortresses on it then you will get migrants (I think) but no traders or invaders since they have no access to you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:48:53 am by bluephoenix »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 07, 2010, 03:22:56 pm »

So I have two questions:

1) Probably not unless you destroy his bed or re-injure him with a cave-in or such.

2) As long as you can still provide lots of trade income to the convoy then you shouldn't have a problem getting the to the Count.  At least that is my understanding of how it used to be.  The new version has some strange quirks about the requirements to get nobles.
I was bit surprised when he got a mood. I was even more surprised when he took over a craftsdwarf's shop 100+ Z-Levels below the hospital, created legendary a garnierite amulet, and dragged himself back to the hospital.

My second question was not about getting the requirements to become a Count. That'll be easy. But to become a Baron you have to have a meeting with the liason, who asks you who should be the next Baron.

I assumed the same thing happens when you get the next level, which would make it impossible to become a Count unless you can have meetings.

Nick

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 07, 2010, 07:23:22 pm »

Is there any purpose to giving your bedrooms doors, other than aesthetics?
it keeps it from letting the room sizing spill out into the hallway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 1178