Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117224 times)

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #915 on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:00 pm »

I'm having some trouble with creating rope. I keep getting message like "cancels create rope. Needs 10,000 cloth", which seems like an excessive amount. I'm also getting similarly weird messages regarding weaving cloth with "needs 15,000 plant thread".
Any ideas?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49:05 pm »

Hi!

Don't worry, resources have a more detailed measurement scheme internally. Thus, instead of saying "1 piece of cloth", you will get a message about several thousand units of cloth. Basically, you should still just need one cloth item or one thread item respectively.

Deathworks

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 03, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »

I'm having an issue with my squads wherein I assign them all training swords, then later on I assign them iron short swords (I check the option to "Replace clothing" instead of "Over clothing") yet all of them are still holding onto their training swords. I did remove the training swords from the uniform. I even tried assigning them a blank uniform and then reassigning the iron uniform.

Does it even matter if they're all holding an iron short sword AND a wooden training sword in the same hand, with a shield in the other? Will they use the best sword in their inventory, or should I be worried about it?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 03, 2010, 05:39:41 pm »

So I understand that a variety of different animals are capable of reproducing. What I'm wondering is what determines if an animal will be able to reproduce. Do they have to be tame? Is there some value that determines which animals are capable of breeding? Would any animal potentially breed if you locked males and females of the species into a room?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 03, 2010, 06:46:51 pm »

IIRC only animals with PET tags breed. They do not need to be in the same room. If you have males and females on the same map, and the females are uncaged, they will magically become pregnant.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 03, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »

IIRC only animals with PET tags breed. They do not need to be in the same room. If you have males and females on the same map, and the females are uncaged, they will magically become pregnant.

I see. So any animal you add the PET tag to will be capable of breeding? Regardless of whether or not they are tame?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 04, 2010, 01:17:35 am »

I'm having some trouble with creating rope. I keep getting message like "cancels create rope. Needs 10,000 cloth", which seems like an excessive amount. I'm also getting similarly weird messages regarding weaving cloth with "needs 15,000 plant thread".
Any ideas?

The numbers are confusing, but bottom line is you don't have enough thread (for cloth) or cloth (for rope).

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 04, 2010, 03:49:25 am »

Can chained animals breed?

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 04, 2010, 03:51:45 am »

Can chained animals breed?
Yeah.
I had female wardogs chained up several years at a time for thief decloaking and they did have puppies in the meantime.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 05, 2010, 02:58:44 pm »

I have a stupid military question. I have squads, and an Arsenal Dwarf. My troops are equipped with axes, except for the one guy who insists on using a silver dagger. They have armor. They have no jobs. They are officially activated, set to train when 4 guys are ready, and they have a barracks.

In past games when I've done this the guys have least stood around in the barracks "preparing to watch demonstration" or something like that, but this squad had "no job."

So I am confused.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 05, 2010, 03:06:32 pm »

I feel a bit silly asking this, since I think I have missed something obvious, but is there anyway to remove walls you construct yourself? I can't really think of any way to remove them aside from mining, but that doesn't work on walls you build yourself.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 05, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »

I feel a bit silly asking this, since I think I have missed something obvious, but is there anyway to remove walls you construct yourself? I can't really think of any way to remove them aside from mining, but that doesn't work on walls you build yourself.

Hit d then n.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 05, 2010, 03:48:19 pm »

Hit d then n.

I can't believe I didn't notice that.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 05, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »

One of my masons died of hunger and thirst in my very first fort ever because I didn't see that specific command.

It's incredibly useful nowadays, though.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 05, 2010, 04:50:29 pm »

Is there any purpose to giving your bedrooms doors, other than aesthetics?
Everyone seems to use doors for a minimalist bedroom (even 1x1 rooms), but I just build mine as 1x3 rooms with no doors (just bed, cabinet, coffer).
Seems like it saves space and you don't have to waste time building all those doors.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 1178