Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117151 times)

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #900 on: June 02, 2010, 09:20:33 am »

Can wooden pipe sections be used in pumps for transporting magma?

Heatwizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 02, 2010, 09:37:58 am »

I'm having difficulty assigning any of my dwarfs to chop down wood. I can't find a menu that allows me to assign jobs, and none of them will do it without me telling them to, the bastards.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 02, 2010, 09:44:17 am »

How long do successful ambushers stay on the map?

Four of them managed to go through my 18-man militia like a hot knife through butter. All in all they managed to kill 26 of my 40 dwarves, and I was only able to save the other 14 by locking them in their rooms. Now the survivors are dying of thirst, and I can't let them out until the Goblins go away.

Hostile forces can stay on the map for several seasons at a time.
You may have to start a new fort.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 02, 2010, 09:48:29 am »

I'm having difficulty assigning any of my dwarfs to chop down wood. I can't find a menu that allows me to assign jobs, and none of them will do it without me telling them to, the bastards.

It's under 'woodworking' in the labor menu ((v)iew a dwarf -> (p)references -> (l)abor as I recall).
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Heatwizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 02, 2010, 09:52:00 am »

It's under 'woodworking' in the labor menu ((v)iew a dwarf -> (p)references -> (l)abor as I recall).
Success, thank you. That menu was greyed out, so I didn't even try to open it. \: I'm not very smart.

BlackWingReg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:45 am »

Can wooden pipe sections be used in pumps for transporting magma?

Only for a limited time. In DF2010, any pump that contains wooden parts will eventually get hot enough to break apart. For a non-powered pump, I don't believe the metal pipe section or screw need to be magma safe materials, but wood specifically will NOT hold together long.

It's believed this is caused by magma's ambient heat raising the temperature of the other parts to a high enough heat to destroy the wood.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 02, 2010, 04:49:31 pm »

Currently I dump gobbos into holding cells for my arena, mostly to save cages and mechanisms (by releasing them with a door). I kinda like the idea of there being a reasonable chance of damaging the gobbos when they get dropped in. I don't want to kill or maim them seriously, that would take the fun out of later, but the occasional sprained ankle or broken leg would be...amusing. How far down do I have to drop them for that? Currently they fall 2 zlvls and no one has taken any damage at all.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 02, 2010, 05:36:06 pm »

How long do successful ambushers stay on the map?

Four of them managed to go through my 18-man militia like a hot knife through butter. All in all they managed to kill 26 of my 40 dwarves, and I was only able to save the other 14 by locking them in their rooms. Now the survivors are dying of thirst, and I can't let them out until the Goblins go away.

Hostile forces can stay on the map for several seasons at a time.
You may have to start a new fort.
EVerybody died within a half-hour o me posting the question. Which was a bit of a surprise, I thought the little felers would last more then a month locked in their rooms, but hey.

I'm enjoying my first Reclaim at the moment. It's kinda cool to show up and have furnished rooms waiting for your guys.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 02, 2010, 06:30:51 pm »

Just be careful with a reclaim. All the dwarves know each other so it's even easier to start a tantrum spiral.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 02, 2010, 07:48:32 pm »

Is there an easy way to make sure my dwarves aren't accidentally put into other squads?

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 02, 2010, 07:59:42 pm »

Pay close attention to what buttons you're pushing, that's about it as far as I know.

And that should be a given on a game like this anyways, where the "Dwarves get food" button is right next to the "Blow up the fort" button.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:22 pm »

Yeah, I suppose.  It appears as if previously "squaded" dwarves still appear on the list to be assigned to squads, which bothers me.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 02, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »

A couple questions:

I read another thread about 2010 military workarounds, and the poster mentioned never using uniforms to equip their dwarves. I've been manually assigning each of my dwarves weapons and armor, AND changing the material. But obviously it's super exhausting..

So is there any real reason to avoid using uniforms?

Also when I use burrows to get my civs inside during emergency situations, well.. most of them happily run to the burrow, but there's always two or three suicidals that freeze for no apparent reason wherever they were standing. Usually outside. In fact, always outside. One even fell asleep.

What's up with this?

Spindrift

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 02, 2010, 08:48:39 pm »

Yeah, I suppose.  It appears as if previously "squaded" dwarves still appear on the list to be assigned to squads, which bothers me.

My solution to this is to use nicknames to identify which squad a given dwarf is supposed to be in- everybody meant for the first squad gets the nickname 1-Guard, everybody meant for the second squad gets the nickname 2-Guard, etc. That way I know who to pick out and who to avoid when filling a squad from the military menu.

Just a dumb workaround instead of a proper fix, but it works for me.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: June 02, 2010, 09:15:24 pm »

My solution to this is to use nicknames to identify which squad a given dwarf is supposed to be in- everybody meant for the first squad gets the nickname 1-Guard, everybody meant for the second squad gets the nickname 2-Guard, etc. That way I know who to pick out and who to avoid when filling a squad from the military menu.

Just a dumb workaround instead of a proper fix, but it works for me.

I should look into that, thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 1178