Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117091 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #885 on: June 01, 2010, 12:38:59 pm »

Is there a way in 31.04 to do the "all dwarves stay indoors" order? The o->i menu that the wiki claims was in 40d isn't there.
Oh wow I'd like to know the answer to this as well, I was raided and literally every dwarf (save three) ran out in single file and got stabbed to death. Restricted traffic, forbidden objects, and job cancellations didn't help much for some reason. There was so much clutter outside that I couldn't tell what people were going after.
For future reference, the easiest thing to do in this cases is forbid everything outside. Hit d-b-f. Any object in the area you select will automatically be forbidden. You can do entire z-levels at once if you start from one corner and move to the other.

All jobs to get anything outside will automatically be cancelled, and the little dudes will go back inside as soon as they get a new job. Unforbidding is equally easy -- d-b-c

Nick

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 01, 2010, 05:12:46 pm »

I breached a cavern level from above.  Whoopee.  I've since removed the stairs (what I could) and floored over the openings.  Yeah, I was stupid.    Anyways, will the floors keep the flying critters out?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #887 on: June 01, 2010, 05:24:10 pm »

I breached a cavern level from above.  Whoopee.  I've since removed the stairs (what I could) and floored over the openings.  Yeah, I was stupid.    Anyways, will the floors keep the flying critters out?
Yep.  Constructions (including floors) are indestructible to everything but cave-ins and dwarven children.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 01, 2010, 05:28:32 pm »

Awesome, thanks.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 01, 2010, 08:48:48 pm »

You should also know this; due to the way pahfinding is handled, flying creatures will not attempt to path to any point a walking creature could not reach (This is because the pathfinding system paints all connected regions as a single zone, and creatures can only path within their zone, irrespective of their flying abilities).

You can test this quite simply;
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 01, 2010, 09:16:51 pm »

Is it possible for creatures to survive being thrown into a wall by a drawbridge? Because I have a plan for a future defense which involves catapulting enemies into a wall directly behind a pit, which they will fall into and be devoured by a tame lion.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 01, 2010, 10:59:47 pm »

#1: Drawbridges fling creatures in completely random directions, all except for the two which make sense: In the direction of the drawbridge's motion, and up.

#2: Armed critters will wound and thus eventually kill your tamed lion(s). There is currently no healthcare for critters.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:03 pm »

Damn. What about retracting? The pit could open up into a trap filled hallway, and the lion could be mostly for show I guess.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 02, 2010, 01:50:58 am »

Why can't I train a war dog (war animal)?
I've got all kinds of dogs (and other animals).
They are tame, of course, and most of them are not pets.
But all I've ever gotten from the kennel is-

Animal Trainer cancels Train War Animal: No creature

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 02, 2010, 04:31:58 am »

Are those animals you want to train caged? That prevents them from being used for training. Release them, then try again.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 02, 2010, 04:49:16 am »

How long do successful ambushers stay on the map?

Four of them managed to go through my 18-man militia like a hot knife through butter. All in all they managed to kill 26 of my 40 dwarves, and I was only able to save the other 14 by locking them in their rooms. Now the survivors are dying of thirst, and I can't let them out until the Goblins go away.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 02, 2010, 04:51:26 am »

Are those animals you want to train caged? That prevents them from being used for training. Release them, then try again.

No, they are running around all over.
Do they have to be adults?  I have lots of puppies but some adults too.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 02, 2010, 05:40:30 am »

#2: Armed critters will wound and thus eventually kill your tamed lion(s). There is currently no healthcare for critters.

Are there any effective tamed creatures? The elves sold me a giant desert scorpion. While Citizen Snips is amazingly entertaining in the arena against disarmed gobbos, I've been wondering about setting him up at the front gate, or possibly guarding the underground cave entrance. Things in the caves are mostly unarmed creatures too, that might not be too bad.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:06 am »

Hi!

Are there any effective tamed creatures? The elves sold me a giant desert scorpion. While Citizen Snips is amazingly entertaining in the arena against disarmed gobbos, I've been wondering about setting him up at the front gate, or possibly guarding the underground cave entrance. Things in the caves are mostly unarmed creatures too, that might not be too bad.

I have not tested them on armed foes, but giant felines are quite nice - unless you have wild elephants on your map as the giant tigers will litter the map with dead elephants then.

I would think that the giant felines would do well against unarmed foes, but the normal animals are really weak (I had some bears, buzzards, and vultures involved with fighting a mortal forgotten beast, and it finished off a few of them before one the rest and one or two soldies killed it. Especially birds seem to be very weak.

Deathworks

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 02, 2010, 07:36:21 am »

Why can't I train a war dog (war animal)?
I've got all kinds of dogs (and other animals).
They are tame, of course, and most of them are not pets.
But all I've ever gotten from the kennel is-

Animal Trainer cancels Train War Animal: No creature
Do the dogs have names? If so, that means they're pets, and I don't think pets can be made into war dogs. They have to have the name Stray Dog 1, 2, etc.

I had a lion guard the entrance to the caverns once. It kept the crundles from interrupting me 24/7. I believe putting him at the front gate would be a good idea too, as he would keep thieves away from your fort.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 1178