Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117049 times)

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #870 on: May 31, 2010, 06:39:31 am »

What is the terminology for the biggest fattest size a cow or bull can attain?

American?

Sorry, sorry, I hate that stereotype myself...

Is there any way to remove all traces of a former fortress from a world without wiping the world itself?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:12:42 am by coinich »

DeathDomino

• Bay Watcher
  • Just add Magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 31, 2010, 09:45:03 am »

How can I tame exotic animals without a dungeon master? (I think he's bugged)
Hickory dickory dock, The elf ran up the clock.
The clock struck one
And the elf was drowned in magma.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 31, 2010, 11:24:07 am »

I have a miserable Dwarf who won't kill himself even though I set up a water pit just for him. He just wanders around all day, and he is wasting fps. For some odd reason. he won't die of hunger (It has been several seasons). How do I get him to that pond?
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 31, 2010, 01:07:12 pm »

I have a miserable Dwarf who won't kill himself even though I set up a water pit just for him. He just wanders around all day, and he is wasting fps. For some odd reason. he won't die of hunger (It has been several seasons). How do I get him to that pond?
He is Melancholy, I take it, not just miserable? Miserable dwarves can get over it. Anyway, Mad, and Melancholic dwarves don't actively try to kill themselves, they just don't avoid dangerous areas, (try it in Adventure mode) and presumebly move randomly. You could try assigning him to a burrow, and then unleashing some horror on him (I don't yet know if they can be assigned to burrows when insane)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 31, 2010, 02:38:36 pm »

Sorry if this has already been asked/solved/addressed, I'm sure it has but I can't find it for the life of me.

I was able to get my squad into training by using the workaround, and the arsenal dwarf got them equipped, but when I switched their uniforms to copper from wooden.. well, they went and equipped the new items (copper axes and shields) but they never dropped the OLD stuff.

So all of them had two axes and two shields equipped, and seemed to be using neither. Maybe they were using them but when I checked the skill screen, I couldn't find the axedwarf skill anymore.

Sort of confused. Again, sorry, but if anybody has an answer I'd be grateful. What's going on here? What do I need to do?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #875 on: May 31, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »

How can I tame exotic animals without a dungeon master? (I think he's bugged)
Edit the animal raw files to make them [PET] instead of [PET_EXOTIC].
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 31, 2010, 04:49:17 pm »

I've got a lot of goblin skeletons and pieces lying around. I'd rather be able to do something with them than atom smash them. Since it appears carving their bones is no longer an option, anyone have any ideas?

zane314

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 31, 2010, 11:09:18 pm »

Is there a way in 31.04 to do the "all dwarves stay indoors" order? The o->i menu that the wiki claims was in 40d isn't there.

Misfed

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:28 am »

I have an issue. Some time into my brand new beautiful fortress, my smelters have decided they are no longer accepting any new orders. The old orders that I have on repeat stay on the list and they keep pushing them out, but when I try to add new things I get the message about no tasks being available despite there being plenty of both raw material and fuel. Also, my tanners are refusing to tan anything. They have no other labors active, I butcher things yet they stand around staring into emptiness. Is there something I am missing here?

e: Magma smelters seem to work just fine.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:23:43 am by Misfed »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 01, 2010, 01:19:53 am »

Is there a way in 31.04 to do the "all dwarves stay indoors" order? The o->i menu that the wiki claims was in 40d isn't there.
Oh wow I'd like to know the answer to this as well, I was raided and literally every dwarf (save three) ran out in single file and got stabbed to death. Restricted traffic, forbidden objects, and job cancellations didn't help much for some reason. There was so much clutter outside that I couldn't tell what people were going after.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 01, 2010, 01:49:32 am »

So I just came back after a couple months and realize my old thread is the main one being used now, miraculously.

My little question is how did this happen?

(And also to ask what's more dwarfy, having the Captain of the Guard cuddle with his pet GCS on the way to battle, or using cats as projectile weapons?)

Oh also
Oh wow I'd like to know the answer to this as well, I was raided and literally every dwarf (save three) ran out in single file and got stabbed to death. Restricted traffic, forbidden objects, and job cancellations didn't help much for some reason. There was so much clutter outside that I couldn't tell what people were going after.
The old stay indoors command was removed and replaced with burrows. You have to set burrow areas yourself. It takes more effort than the old system but it's much, much better in practice.

I have an issue. Some time into my brand new beautiful fortress, my smelters have decided they are no longer accepting any new orders. The old orders that I have on repeat stay on the list and they keep pushing them out, but when I try to add new things I get the message about no tasks being available despite there being plenty of both raw material and fuel. Also, my tanners are refusing to tan anything. They have no other labors active, I butcher things yet they stand around staring into emptiness. Is there something I am missing here?

Never heard of anything like this. Sounds like a bug.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 01, 2010, 02:46:51 am »

The old stay indoors command was removed and replaced with burrows. You have to set burrow areas yourself. It takes more effort than the old system but it's much, much better in practice.

This. Define one or multiple indoor burrows, make a new alert for being under attack (m-a) and define these burrows to that alert. Civvies are now assigned to those burrows while you set this alert active (also m-a screen, the active alert for civvies is seen by the green [CIV] tag).

Are the Smelters inside a burrow without fuel or raw ingredients access? There's a bug with smelter type buildings and burrows at the moment in that they don't accept any orders even if the burrow has no furnace operating dorfs assigned and your problem might be a variant of that.

Misfed

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 01, 2010, 04:01:21 am »

Are the Smelters inside a burrow without fuel or raw ingredients access? There's a bug with smelter type buildings and burrows at the moment in that they don't accept any orders even if the burrow has no furnace operating dorfs assigned and your problem might be a variant of that.

Yep, that was the case and now it works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 01, 2010, 08:02:43 am »

Ahh thanks for the help with the burrows! That'll be great in my next fortress.

Fizzikx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 01, 2010, 11:13:06 am »

This may have already been asked but here goes. In Dwarf Fortress 2010, is there a way to release a Gobin after it is in a cage?
Build the cage.  Build a lever.  Link the lever to the cage.   Tell a dwarf to pull the lever.

There are other ways, but this one seems to be the most reliable in my experience.

Thanks a mil! I'll give this a shot =)
PS Why didnt I think of that first?? hrmm Time to update the Wiki :P
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 1178