Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117089 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #855 on: May 29, 2010, 10:35:21 pm »

is everyone busy?
or it could be bugged.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 29, 2010, 10:52:12 pm »

i have a bunch of little questions. Some background - i have three squads of 6-10 dorfs each. they are all set to use some combination of metal/steel armors including breastplates and chainmail, and their choice of weapon (unless i've gone in there and told the axedwarves to use axes and the swordsdorfs to use swords to capitalise on their skills). The arsenal dorf does his job and they continually go and grab new armor. my questions,
1. when they go to pick up armor, is each dwarf upgrading his armor as the armorsmiths churn out better armor? once a dwarf is armored, he does replace it if something better comes along?
2. if i want to melt down all the no-quality and non-iron/steel armor (get rid of bronze and copper armors, etc), what is the best way to do that? i want them to drop the armor if its not iron/steel or of 'x' quality and replace it with something else. what happens if i
a) designate it for melting
b) designate it to be forbidden
c) designate it to be dumped?
Will each of the three cause them to drop the armor and replace it with something else, or do i need to use combinations of the two? Will furnace operators grab dumped items for melting if its flagged?
3. i have 20 captured goblins. in the old version i think you could go down their items list and mark them for melting or dumping. how do you accomplish this in df2010? now that goblins wear same size as dwarfs, i want their metal armors and weapons at least for melting and putting into traps.

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 30, 2010, 12:20:07 am »

One of my miners was injured in a cave in, and is now resting in the hospital. However, nobody seems to be feeding him. Currently he has both the hungry and dehyrdated tags, and I'm worried this will lead to his death. I have multiple dwarves with the feed patients/prisoners labor enabled, so I don;t understand why nobody has helped him yet. Does anyone know how to get him food and water?

Feeding the injured is a pretty low priority task, so set one dwarf to only have that labor enabled and nothing else. You need a bucket and a source of water to give a dwarf water. Finally, if you have all that, deconstruct the bed he's on and that will sometimes reset these sorts of bugs.

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 30, 2010, 01:47:27 am »

Do caged pets mature to adulthood in the cage?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 30, 2010, 02:26:31 am »

Yep, and if pregnant, they'll give birth. However thay cannot GET pregnant, nor impregnate others while caged.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 30, 2010, 02:48:08 am »

Hi!

Yep, and if pregnant, they'll give birth. However thay cannot GET pregnant, nor impregnate others while caged.

That is not completely true: If you have a free female and a caged male, the free female can be impregnated by the caged male. I have observed this in fortresses where years after selling off all male cats/kittens, female cats still gave birth to kittens. And the only male cats around had been the caged cats the merchants brought along which I didn't buy and thus never released.

Deathworks

Fizzikx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 30, 2010, 01:16:52 pm »

This may have already been asked but here goes. In Dwarf Fortress 2010, is there a way to release a Gobin after it is in a cage? If so please describe in detail  how to do so.

I want to give my army a practice dummy for archery and also a dummy for beating on in the arena. I have two of these stinking creatures in an animal stockpile.

So far I have tried the following:
building a chain and assigning the goblin to it, dosent seem to work
Building a floodgate/arena, building the cage (w/ goblin in it) inside of said arena, telling my men to kill it, and then sealing them in. (no go)
Attempting to unassign the cage, also does nothing.

As far as the archery dummy i've placed the cage near an archery target within the range of the archery field and my marksdwarves appear to igore it as well.

Thoughts???

Thanks for any help in advance, much apreciated!
-Fiz
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:24:58 pm by Fizzikx »

IonKitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 30, 2010, 01:59:36 pm »

Uh, hi, I have a military question, oh no!
Even though my dwarves have weapons available to them, they won't equip anything ever.
How2fix?
Img is example of what I'm talking about.
It's been this way for a few seasons.
Just assigned an arsenal dwarf; will that fix it?
EDIT:Fixed it with an arsenal dwarf
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:08:08 pm by IonKitten »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #863 on: May 30, 2010, 04:23:29 pm »

This may have already been asked but here goes. In Dwarf Fortress 2010, is there a way to release a Gobin after it is in a cage?
Build the cage.  Build a lever.  Link the lever to the cage.   Tell a dwarf to pull the lever.

There are other ways, but this one seems to be the most reliable in my experience.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 30, 2010, 08:39:41 pm »

How do I get my legendary miner to stop resting? He's recovered from his injuries, but he won't get up. I tried deconstructing his bed, but my other dwarves just recover him again and move him to another bed.

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 30, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »

How do I get my legendary miner to stop resting? He's recovered from his injuries, but he won't get up. I tried deconstructing his bed, but my other dwarves just recover him again and move him to another bed.

What's wrong with him? Do you have a chief medical dwarf; you can see his health status when you view him.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 31, 2010, 04:31:32 am »

Another question: I can't seem to work out how to get dwarves to remove a previously-designated staircase. I've tried "remove constructions" and "remove designation" from the d menu, but nothing seems to happen. Any advice?
On a slight tangent, this thread seems to suffer from questions being asked faster than they can be answered.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 31, 2010, 05:12:42 am »

Another question: I can't seem to work out how to get dwarves to remove a previously-designated staircase. I've tried "remove constructions" and "remove designation" from the d menu, but nothing seems to happen. Any advice?
On a slight tangent, this thread seems to suffer from questions being asked faster than they can be answered.
Designate - Remove Up Stairs/Ramps (z)

And in case of down stairs, just build a floor over it.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 31, 2010, 05:26:01 am »

And in case of down stairs, just build a floor over it.
Ah! Helpful- somehow never thought of that. Yes, it was down stairs I was trying to get rid of.

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 31, 2010, 06:07:51 am »

What is the terminology for the biggest fattest size a cow or bull can attain?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 1178