Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117130 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #840 on: May 29, 2010, 06:16:10 am »

Do dwarves require the Item Hauling labour enabled to store their owned items?
Love, scriver~

RasendeTiur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 29, 2010, 07:26:19 am »

The Screw Pump seems to be awfully dangerous, I've allready had one dwarf being washed into a stream of water and drowned. Is there any way of hindering your dwarf of being hurled around in the water the pump brings up?

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 29, 2010, 08:44:57 am »

The Screw Pump seems to be awfully dangerous, I've allready had one dwarf being washed into a stream of water and drowned. Is there any way of hindering your dwarf of being hurled around in the water the pump brings up?

Will this do it?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pump_stack#Pump_Stack
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 29, 2010, 10:03:45 am »

Just started playing, having a lot of fun. A number of (hopefully straightforward) questions, in approximate order of how much they're annoying me:

* There doesn't seem to be much consistency in whether the game does or does not allow you to select the material you want to make items from. When building workshops, stairs, or doors I get a list of materials sorted by distance to choose from. When building beds, brewing alcohol or cooking food, no choice is presented. I particularly want to be able to choose what food is cooked. How does one do this? Most confusingly, I could have sworn that the first few beds I built *did* give me much a choice (pine logs, cedar logs... etc), but this is no longer the case. What am I missing?
* Irrigation seems to take forever. I'm using the "hole-in-the-floor designated as a pond" method (it seemed the simplest), pouring buckets down it to muddy the floor in the room beneath. It works, but I only ever seem to get one dwarf at a time on bucket duty, however I set tasks. Any ways to speed it up? Multiple holes?
* Do doors actually serve any purpose, other than keeping pets out of rooms? Do they affect noise, for example?
* Whenever I choose to embark, I get a "area contains an aquifier" message- this has happened around 6 times now. Am I just unlucky, or are they very common? It doesn't seem to have created any problems so far: I've dug down four levels of rock and no sign of any water. I have plenty of stone- mostly chert.
* What use are stone coffers? I built a bunch hoping to store food in them, but no one ever seems to put anything in them.
Many thanks in advance.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 29, 2010, 10:17:08 am »

Doors help make rooms, as well as if being forbidden/locked, dwarves will not go through them.  Also, I tend to irrigate via floodgate; its fast.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 29, 2010, 10:45:11 am »

Just started playing, having a lot of fun. A number of (hopefully straightforward) questions, in approximate order of how much they're annoying me:

* There doesn't seem to be much consistency in whether the game does or does not allow you to select the material you want to make items from. When building workshops, stairs, or doors I get a list of materials sorted by distance to choose from. When building beds, brewing alcohol or cooking food, no choice is presented. I particularly want to be able to choose what food is cooked. How does one do this? Most confusingly, I could have sworn that the first few beds I built *did* give me much a choice (pine logs, cedar logs... etc), but this is no longer the case. What am I missing?
* Irrigation seems to take forever. I'm using the "hole-in-the-floor designated as a pond" method (it seemed the simplest), pouring buckets down it to muddy the floor in the room beneath. It works, but I only ever seem to get one dwarf at a time on bucket duty, however I set tasks. Any ways to speed it up? Multiple holes?
* Do doors actually serve any purpose, other than keeping pets out of rooms? Do they affect noise, for example?
* Whenever I choose to embark, I get a "area contains an aquifier" message- this has happened around 6 times now. Am I just unlucky, or are they very common? It doesn't seem to have created any problems so far: I've dug down four levels of rock and no sign of any water. I have plenty of stone- mostly chert.
* What use are stone coffers? I built a bunch hoping to store food in them, but no one ever seems to put anything in them.
Many thanks in advance.
1. Most workshops do not allow a specific material to be used. If you do wish to use a specific resource, you have to set up a stockpile allowing only that material near the workshop, then use a burrow or a locked door to confine a dwarf to the area. (Not going into more detail, there's plenty of guides on how to do this.)

2. You could use a larger pit, but you'll do better to use an alternate method. The bucket method is slow.

3. Doors allow you to control the flow of traffic in your fort, as you can lock them to keep them from being pathed through. They also add to the value of a room if they're set to internal, keep wild animals and invaders (as long as they don't have BUILDING_DESTROYER) out.

4. In some worlds, aquifers are rare. In others, they are very common.

5. Coffers are stone chests. You build them in a bedroom and a dwarf uses them to store their non-clothing possessions. You want barrels to store food, and bins for item stockpiles.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 29, 2010, 10:46:58 am »

-You can use z - status and then "kitchen" on the top, to decide what you want to cook or brew (red is "yes, cook it!")

-irrigation works fine with a floodgate, embark on river sites for a steady source of water

-in DF2010 there are actually many Aquifers, good embark sites are harder to find. Usual those half on a mountain and half on a normal landscape are good. 

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 29, 2010, 11:42:22 am »

-You can use z - status and then "kitchen" on the top, to decide what you want to cook or brew (red is "yes, cook it!")

Thanks, this is very useful! Somehow managed to miss that.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 29, 2010, 02:39:05 pm »

I was just assaulted by a Cave Crocodile. I lost my fortress. Then I had an adventurer go in there and kill it.
Now I have reclaimed the fortress, collected the bodies, and made a place where I have put some coffins. I can't figure out how to put the old dwarfs into the coffins (I really want to out of respect for them and their efforts). Is there no way?
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 29, 2010, 02:43:43 pm »

Hi!

I was just assaulted by a Cave Crocodile. I lost my fortress. Then I had an adventurer go in there and kill it.
Now I have reclaimed the fortress, collected the bodies, and made a place where I have put some coffins. I can't figure out how to put the old dwarfs into the coffins (I really want to out of respect for them and their efforts). Is there no way?

I am sorry, but there is absolutely no way to do that.

The only thing you can do is faking a tomb by putting each corpse into a single, one-tile room surrounded by a bigger room to give the illusion of a big sargophagus. On the positive side, now that statues have imagery, you can actually place statues of the dwarf who is buried there into the outer chamber for a nice touch.

But no official recognition by the game as they are not units of your new embark.

Deathworks

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 29, 2010, 03:30:14 pm »

:(
Well, thanks, Deathworks. I'll do something about it I guess.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 29, 2010, 03:50:58 pm »

Just curios, is this an usual way, instead of reclaiming with a bunch of fighters directly, go there at first with an Adventurer? Are they that strong or what (I never played Adventurer mode)?

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 29, 2010, 04:17:12 pm »

Just curios, is this an usual way, instead of reclaiming with a bunch of fighters directly, go there at first with an Adventurer? Are they that strong or what (I never played Adventurer mode)?

I don't know if what I did was usual or not. I just thought about it and tried it. I think he was only strong enough because I put points into swordsmanship, dodging, ambushing, and one in swimming to be safe...

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 29, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »

What is the best way to dispose of caged hostile creatures without letting them loose in your fortress and having to chase them down and kill them?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 29, 2010, 10:24:13 pm »

One of my miners was injured in a cave in, and is now resting in the hospital. However, nobody seems to be feeding him. Currently he has both the hungry and dehyrdated tags, and I'm worried this will lead to his death. I have multiple dwarves with the feed patients/prisoners labor enabled, so I don;t understand why nobody has helped him yet. Does anyone know how to get him food and water?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 1178