Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117269 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #810 on: May 25, 2010, 04:17:09 am »

Turn down the number of barrels allowed in your stockpile, so once the barrels empty they aren't re-used again for plump helmets. The dwarves will hopefully take them to the furniture stockpile if you have one, so they will be available for use in brewing.

EDIT: Also it helps to have food and drink in different stockpiles for this reason.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:21:15 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 25, 2010, 02:46:06 pm »

As far as I know, this method for constructing a magma forge only works if you have access to the top of the volcano or magma pipe. Is there a safe method for setting one up deeper down, along the side?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 25, 2010, 04:29:45 pm »

I'm ending up with many single units of alcohol "floating" in my kitchen. I'm not sure what's producing them, because that type of alcohol (longland beer, I think) is forbidden to cook with, and has been for a while. If I deconstruct the kitchen, of course, they get destroyed as they have no barrel.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 25, 2010, 09:04:41 pm »

It's caused when you try and cook a dish with only liquid components (e.g. alcohol or syrup). While you say the alcohol thats appearing is forbidden, I'd guess that the puddles were there before you forbid it, you just didn't notice.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:24 pm »

It's caused when you try and cook a dish with only liquid components (e.g. alcohol or syrup). While you say the alcohol thats appearing is forbidden, I'd guess that the puddles were there before you forbid it, you just didn't notice.

I guess. It's odd, though, because I thought they were forbidden before I even built that kitchen.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 25, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »

I have been trying to get a balance of producing food and drink for my dwarves.  I have about 1000 food stores worth of plump helmets and 50 stores of drink.  This is because as soon as I create a barrel my dwarves swoop down and put the plump helmets in the barrel so I can't brew, how can I fix this?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 25, 2010, 09:21:04 pm »

You can do it by first only having two seperate food stockpiles; one for solid food, one for drink. Then reduce the maximum number of barrels for the food stockpile, and crank up the barrel numbers for the drink one.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 25, 2010, 11:59:32 pm »

I have only recieved about 3 waves of immigrants, topping out at 18 dwarves.  Also, only 2 caravans and neither are from dwarves.  Its been about two or three years.  Since I never embarked with an anvil, I'm somewhat screwed, aren't I?

Nafghan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:57 am »

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 26, 2010, 04:35:03 am »

I set the popcap to 80 before embarking. Now, 5 years into the fort, I want to bump it up to 100. I changed the popcap to 100, and a few seasons have gone by, but no more immigrants. I know each save has their own copies of raws and things, does each save also have it's own init files in the latest version (31.04)? The popcap is in d_init. Or is there something else I have to do to tweak the popcap for an already established fort?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 26, 2010, 05:23:30 am »

Hi!

I have only recieved about 3 waves of immigrants, topping out at 18 dwarves.  Also, only 2 caravans and neither are from dwarves.  Its been about two or three years.  Since I never embarked with an anvil, I'm somewhat screwed, aren't I?

Well, it is difficult to say, but if you do get human caravans, it is not completely hopeless. I advice you to start by deactivating invaders in the init file. You probably won't be able to get up decent defenses without an anvil, so you need to buy a little time there.

Now, humans do create and sell anvils, so even if you don't get dwarves, you can hope for the humans to bring an anvil. Since you don't have a barony, you won't get the human diplomat, it seems, so you can't request an anvil directly. However, the caravans seem to respond to your purchases: So, if the caravan brings metal bars, buy only metal bars from them. And if they bring iron bars, buy only iron bars from them. Hopefully, this will make them more likely to bring iron goods and thus eventually an iron anvil.

On the other hand, even if you don't have an anvil, you can still trade for picks from the humans. For extra woodcutting (I assume you started with at least one tool of each type), a wooden training axe will do. Also note that goblins are now the same size as dwarves, so you should be able to use their equipment - once you have made them part with it permanently. Without bronze or steel weapons, weapon traps are comparatively weak, so you will probably need very deep defenses, but it is not impossible, I think.

Halo: The d_init is universal as far as I know, so it is not such a file issue. So, either the pop cap is no longer flexible (has anyone tested that?), your fortress already has the pop cap number of citizens, or there is some other reason that makes dwarves reluctant to visit (lots of deaths, for instance).

Deathworks

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00:50 pm »

Thanks, I'll give it some more time I guess. Just took some causalities, so there's room for immigrants anyways!

Next question, is there some sort of trick to dumping dangerous creatures into pits? Following the wiki, I build the cage next to the hole, and ordered a giant mole rat dumped, as it seemed much less dangerous than say, all the trolls I have in cages. Next thing I know, I get an announcing that a peasant has been struck down. I looked up the combat report, and the mole rat bit the peasant's head clean off. Jesus. Just a really lucky mole rat? I noticed it had a name after killing the peasant, pretty sure it did not beforehand. I don't think it's killed anything else in my fort either.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 26, 2010, 11:16:59 pm »

After a few kills, things get named. Also, armorless dwarves are like jellybags. They will shatter at anything stronger then a wolf.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 27, 2010, 04:52:24 am »

Jellybags shatter?
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how do I designate a whole area of stuff to be claimed/dumped/forbidden?
« Reply #824 on: May 27, 2010, 04:59:14 am »

I can't remember it again...  :-\ how do I designate a whole area of stuff to be claimed/dumped/forbidden? (so I don't have to dump every stone individually...)
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 1178