Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123429 times)

Spider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #705 on: May 16, 2010, 06:09:33 pm »

is there an easy way of toning down the ambushes/sieges without turning them off completely? as it currently stands i don't even have the time to clear up the mess before the next wave arrives.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 16, 2010, 08:42:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

INETLLIGENT implies CAN_LEARN (which is the skill gain portion) and CAN_SPEAK (which should be fairly obvious), iirc, and maybe CAN_CIV, but I'm not sure on that last one. BENIGN has the defined creature appear in tame biomes, I think, along with some other stuff. PREFSTRING is [PREFSTING:Whatever], and is what other things think of when said other things think of the critter described; i.e. cats 'for their aloofness', etc. You can have multiple of them just fine. BONECARN means the creature will eat bones. They've got some chance to choke on them when doing so (possibly resulting in death?), apparently. Check the wiki. The majority of the 40d stuff that's still being used in 2010 is mostly unchanged.

Observer's got something to do with spotting sneaking creatures, to the best of my knowledge. Some of the other ones are just placeholders, at least in adventurer mode; social awareness and junk affects friendship gain and suchlike in fortress mode, but musicality's not doing much at the moment, so far as i know. For the soul stuff, I'd suggest asking over in the Mod forum or checking Toady's devlog entries. At the moment, it's mostly a placeholder, from what I understand, but there's plans for it in the future. S'far as I know, it's basically just the mental side of the critter at the moment.

For the seiges, you can try embarking further away from hostile civs, possibly. Going into the entity file and adjusting which seasons they attack in can also space things out. Deleting some of the [ACTIVE_SEASON:X] stuff should work... I think, anyway. Heh.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:45:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
  • Exit light!Enter night!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 16, 2010, 08:55:45 pm »

What button do i press to farm?[edit]how do i make my farmer plant a plant?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:04:31 pm by Urist mc.miner »
Quote from: Footkerchief on Today at 02:46:06 am
Quote from: Grakelin on May 12, 2010, 10:01:05 pm
In Soviet Russia, environment destroys you!

Germany learned this the hard way.

Nafghan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 16, 2010, 09:06:03 pm »

My Dwarves are not going outside to chop wood even though I have instructed them to do so. Maybe they haven't been outside in a long time but I don't know whats stopping them from going outside.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

qwints

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 16, 2010, 10:32:11 pm »

What button do i press to farm?[edit]how do i make my farmer plant a plant?

Look here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Farming.

Basically, you build a farm plot on above ground soil or below ground mud. (You need a dwarf with Farming (Fields) skill.)

Once the farm is built, you [q]uery it and choose which plants you want to grow in each season. You have to have the seed in inventory for the farmer to plant them (otherwise you'll see Urist McFamer cancels job plant plump helmet - no plump helmet spawn).

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:57 pm »

My Dwarves are not going outside to chop wood even though I have instructed them to do so. Maybe they haven't been outside in a long time but I don't know whats stopping them from going outside.

Are you sure it's not that you assigned their woodcutting skill with Dwarf Therapist?  There is a glitch, un-assign it in Therapist and re-assign it in the game itself.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 18, 2010, 05:24:24 am »

Does anyone know whether the "[creature] has stolen a [whatever]" comes up when the thief picks up the item, or when/if it leaves the map?
Love, scriver~

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 18, 2010, 06:02:59 am »

Hi!

I have not suffered any theft in the current version, but in all the previous ones, it was when the item left the map. Thus, the message came when it was too late to do anything about it.

Deathworks

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 18, 2010, 06:10:36 am »

As I thought, then.. Buzzards somehow managed to steal about half of my supply of plump helmets, though I have no idea how they managed to get to them  ;)
Anyway, thanks for the response.
Love, scriver~

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 18, 2010, 06:25:04 am »

As I thought, then.. Buzzards somehow managed to steal about half of my supply of plump helmets, though I have no idea how they managed to get to them  ;)
Anyway, thanks for the response.

Buzzaaaards! I too have had buzzard troubles.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 18, 2010, 07:00:55 am »

Hi!

At least you didn't have a rhesus macaque steal your only anvil(!) - that happened to me in 2D where anvils were really expensive.

Anyhow, in general, you should keep an eye on combat reports for any encounters between your fortress inhabitants and thieving animals - when a kobold thief gets uncovered, you will get a special announcement, but when rhesus macaques or raccoons come to raid your fortress, you do not get any warning until the theft has occurred.

Also, if you have a map where such animal thieves can appear, I recommend that you check the 'u'nit screen at least once a season to see whether something has come to collect.

Finally, weapon traps are your friends when dealing with animal thieves - the animals are unarmored, so kill rates are quite well, and even the flying ones more often then not get hit by them.

Deathworks

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 18, 2010, 07:46:34 am »

Does anyone know whether the "[creature] has stolen a [whatever]" comes up when the thief picks up the item, or when/if it leaves the map?
A successful theft of item or child will be announced once the thief leaves the map.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Thief#ixzz0oHiEnRzm

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 18, 2010, 10:14:52 am »

Do thieves take abandoned armour from invasions? I know they'll nab the socks off your dead dwarves, but I rarely spy them taking goblin gear, which is strange considering how valuable it often is.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 18, 2010, 03:03:53 pm »

(Wiki is empty, so asking here)

Is noise from workshops implemented in 2010? I'm trying to work out how far up/down I need my living quarters...

Also: what's the safe tile distance for dwarf bedrooms to be undisturbed by noise now in 2010?

The thought is certainly there, from workshops & mining

Even better question:

Is there noise for custom made workshops in 2010.

I've made (military) training dummies/obstacle courses, crematoriums, theaters, libraries, etc.

I can't help but think that libraries, of all places, should not make noise....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 18, 2010, 10:58:11 pm »

Do thieves take abandoned armour from invasions? I know they'll nab the socks off your dead dwarves, but I rarely spy them taking goblin gear, which is strange considering how valuable it often is.
From my observations, intelligent thieves will attempt to path to the most valuable item in your fortress. Usually some sort of craft or artifact. They'll ignore items with a lower value. However racoons and other animal type thieves aren't as discriminating and will pick up any piece of dropped clothing or the like to be found.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 1178