Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123379 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #690 on: May 12, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

Loo[k] -> [Enter] -> [V]:Description

Will show the description of everything, vermin are just "This is a two-legged rhino lizard" or similar though.

Yeah, that's not the description.  The two-legged rhino lizard's description, as written in the raws, is "A tiny reptile, running on two legs.  It has a horn on the end of its nose."

Did you check? I was only going from memory of the actual description since I don't have any vermin around, but those are the keys to get up any items description.  For some things, possibly vermin too, it will just show up on pressing enter from the [k] menu.

I did check, and I double-checked again just now.  Just says "This is a rhino lizard."

It's because the game treats vermin as objects, instead of creatures.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 12, 2010, 03:01:53 pm »

can you leave the beggining square that you start out in?

I can't seem to view the area outside of it and I was worried that I can't eventually go scouting for lava

The size of the site is fixed so you can't scout any further laterally.  You can adjust the size of the playing area on the embark screen by tiles, default is 4x4, but you can have 5x3, 6x2, 5x4, etc.  Bigger maps will strain your pc more and default is normally fine unless you want to get particular features of the landscape in your map.

However if you want magma you will always find it eventually by digging down, you don't have to worry about it not being on the surface. 

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 12, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »

Gargoyles bit a dwarf's hands and now she can't grip anything. Is there any job she can actually do, or shall I send her on an "adventure"?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 12, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »

Gargoyles bit a dwarf's hands and now she can't grip anything. Is there any job she can actually do, or shall I send her on an "adventure"?
Cavern exploration.

Will water transported in a nether-cap bucket freeze?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 13, 2010, 04:03:23 am »

Also: what's the safe tile distance for dwarf bedrooms to be undisturbed by noise now in 2010?

This still needs answering if it has changed.

Has anyone managed to do any tinkering with noise yet? My current fort runs in caverns, so noise is going to get them no matter what (it's a challenge map) but I'd like to know for maps I can actually mine in.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 13, 2010, 07:28:44 am »

Cavern exploration.

Thus far, the options are cavern exploration as you say, or "tomb ornament"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 13, 2010, 07:31:09 am »

If you reveal the whole cavern you'll get more warning in case of underground beasties.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 13, 2010, 04:23:02 pm »

How do you disarm caged gobbos in version 31? I tried the mass dump designation tool, and the grand opening of my arena was marred by the filthy gobbo shooting his crossbow when I released him :(

Curiously, when the gobbo was dead, I checked all his gear...and it was still marked for dumping. This makes me worry that it's impossible now.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 13, 2010, 04:26:10 pm »

Do a mass claim on it after mass dump, and your dwarves will then take everything.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 13, 2010, 04:42:12 pm »

I still want to know if water carried in nether-cap buckets freezes.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #700 on: May 14, 2010, 08:51:14 am »

I still want to know if water carried in nether-cap buckets freezes.

Try it and let us know.  I'd imagine it's the same whatever material it's made from.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 15, 2010, 05:46:43 pm »

What 3D visualisers still work now were on 2010? I know Stonesense recently got updated, but what about some of the more powerful visualisers like £Dwarf and Visual Fortress?

Stonesense just can't portray the kind of megaproject I have going.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 16, 2010, 03:44:54 pm »

didn't know where this should go but,
How do you put a poll in a forum thread?
Nom nom nom

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 16, 2010, 06:03:03 pm »

Inquisitive nature enabled, and commencing. Here we go. QUESTIONSTOOOOOOORM!

What's the deal with attributes in Adventurer Mode? Will I ever notice some minor difference in playing with a character with a high Social Awareness instead of one with a Below Average? And Musicality? Are they just placeholders? And what do the Observer skill really do? Do I increase it by oogling engravings? How does the attributes increase by training your skills? They only go up once for me, and then there's no change whatsoever after that.

Can someone please explain the concept of "souls" for me? (Not the IRL equivalent, the one in the game! :P)

What do [EXTRAVISION], [BENIGN], [INTELLIGENT], [HOMEOTHERM:xxx], [MANNERISM_LAUGH], [PREFSTRING], [BONECARN], [SPEECH:dwarf.txt] mean?

Thanks in advance!
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 16, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »

Inquisitive nature enabled, and commencing. Here we go. QUESTIONSTOOOOOOORM!

What's the deal with attributes in Adventurer Mode? Will I ever notice some minor difference in playing with a character with a high Social Awareness instead of one with a Below Average? And Musicality? Are they just placeholders? And what do the Observer skill really do? Do I increase it by oogling engravings? How does the attributes increase by training your skills? They only go up once for me, and then there's no change whatsoever after that.

Can someone please explain the concept of "souls" for me? (Not the IRL equivalent, the one in the game! :P)

What do [EXTRAVISION], [BENIGN], [INTELLIGENT], [HOMEOTHERM:xxx], [MANNERISM_LAUGH], [PREFSTRING], [BONECARN], [SPEECH:dwarf.txt] mean?

Thanks in advance!

Extravision means they can see without light, Intelligent means they are capable of learning (skill point gain) [sic],Homeotherm I believe is the body temperature that a creature can cope with, speech:dwarf.txt just refers to the languages the creature can speak thus communicate to (Megabeasts often have Elvish,Human,Dwarf.txt attached to them)

Correct me if I'm wrong whoever.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1178