Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123392 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 11, 2010, 11:54:15 am »

I am fairly certain that siege weapons can fire over open space just fine.  They can't fire at anything on Z-levels above or below them however.  I also recall that if a siege weapon shot comes to a stop above open space after reaching its maximum range or hitting a wall, it will fall and be recoverable rather than being destroyed as it would if it came to a rest on the same Z-level.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 11, 2010, 12:35:08 pm »

I have made a squad, but these dwarves become militia comander and recruits only when I give them order to move somewhere (it's called 'station'). When I cancel this order, they become civillians again. I have made a barracks/armory for them by building armor stand there. Then I opened [m]ilitary, [a]lerts --> Active/training, then in main window I opened {s}quads and pressed [t] to make schedule Active/training. Nothing happened. Then I ordered the squad to [m]ove somewhere and they became military. I cancelled the order and they became civillian. And never started training. What am I doing wrong?

Aahh I understood what was the problem. I just forgot to activate Training option in barracks room [q] window

+++

But there is another problem. Commander's status is "organise training" and recruits' status is "wait for training" they just stand and don't do anything, and the status does not change
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:48:58 pm by Shangurath »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 11, 2010, 04:39:44 pm »

But there is another problem. Commander's status is "organise training" and recruits' status is "wait for training" they just stand and don't do anything, and the status does not change
Welcome to DF 2010!

Eventually they might train, but this is pretty much what it's like for everyone. For a decent training program it's better to have live training with caged goblins that you've stripped naked.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 11, 2010, 05:13:49 pm »

I am fairly certain that siege weapons can fire over open space just fine.  They can't fire at anything on Z-levels above or below them however.  I also recall that if a siege weapon shot comes to a stop above open space after reaching its maximum range or hitting a wall, it will fall and be recoverable rather than being destroyed as it would if it came to a rest on the same Z-level.

I think so too, although I haven't tried with the new version. What I'm sure of is that siege operators would likely not be shot directly through the fortifications, since they're civilians and will run away if the gobbos come too close. Just make it so that they run away up or down a stair or ramp, and they should be fine.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 11, 2010, 05:21:40 pm »

Whenever you create an order in the military->schedule screen, modify the number of dwarves necessary for execution to less than the number you've got in your squad. By default it's set to 10, so you need to edit or delete and recreate training orders.
As far as I understand, unless you do it, your dwarves will wait for the required number of soldiers to be ready(as in not drinking, sleeping etc.) before they'll execute the order.

Still, even when you do the above, all that training goes exceedingly slow and somewhat erratically. For example: my legendary axedwarf militia commander, with good dodge, armour use and shield skill, started teaching wrestling, even though he wasn't even dabbling in it.

A good alternative is to set your sqads on "inactive", as they'll do their own weapons training(but only this one skill) at their leisure. This means that some will NOT train for whatever reason, but it generally works ok.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:11 pm »

Y'know how every creature has a description now?  For most creatures, you can view the description with [v][d].

Vermin, however, can't be selected with [v].  Is there any way to see their description in-game?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 11, 2010, 06:35:02 pm »

Does the Loo[k] command work?

If not, then I think you might only because to see their desc in adventure mode.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 11, 2010, 07:00:52 pm »

Y'know how every creature has a description now?  For most creatures, you can view the description with [v][d].

Vermin, however, can't be selected with [v].  Is there any way to see their description in-game?

Loo[k] -> [Enter] -> [V]:Description

Will show the description of everything, vermin are just "This is a two-legged rhino lizard" or similar though.

I have a question though:
When using the manager screen, [j] -> [m], to set orders is there anyway to specify where those orders will be carried out?
Such as when forging a full uniform of armour for a squad(10 of each part of armour + weapons etc)  it's a pita to individually order each item at the forges, but I want the orders to go to my magma forges, not regular ones at the surface.  Short destroying the non magma forges, which I don't want to do, I can't figure out how to set the jobs to one forge or area.

Burrows don't work well either becasue I just get spammed by my metalsmiths saying the workshop is inaccessible, I have to cancel the jobs in the wrong forge manually.

Any suggestions?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 11, 2010, 07:15:55 pm »

Burrows don't work well either becasue I just get spammed by my metalsmiths saying the workshop is inaccessible, I have to cancel the jobs in the wrong forge manually.

Any suggestions?

I can't see why you'd want to keep the conventional forges, but if you're saving them for some dire emergency, you could make them inaccessible to everyone via the workshop profile, untill you needed them.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 11, 2010, 07:33:32 pm »

Any suggestions?

I can't see why you'd want to keep the conventional forges, but if you're saving them for some dire emergency, you could make them inaccessible to everyone via the workshop profile, untill you needed them.

I've had problems of dwarfs in moods not wanting to use magma forges, and the old conventional forge is a very long way from the magma forges and that part of the fortress.  But I don't really need it, but the same problem would result in my armoursmiths walking from one side of the map to the other all the time in a multiple "mini fortress" design.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2010, 09:03:43 pm »

Will show the description of everything, vermin are just "This is a two-legged rhino lizard" or similar though.

Yeah, that's not the description.  The two-legged rhino lizard's description, as written in the raws, is "A tiny reptile, running on two legs.  It has a horn on the end of its nose."

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:02 pm »

Yeah, that's not the description.  The two-legged rhino lizard's description, as written in the raws, is "A tiny reptile, running on two legs.  It has a horn on the end of its nose."

Did you check? I was only going from memory of the actual description since I don't have any vermin around, but those are the keys to get up any items description.  For some things, possibly vermin too, it will just show up on pressing enter from the [k] menu.

blueeyedlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 11, 2010, 11:19:16 pm »

can you leave the beggining square that you start out in?

I can't seem to view the area outside of it and I was worried that I can't eventually go scouting for lava

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 12, 2010, 12:14:09 am »

Whenever you create an order in the military->schedule screen, modify the number of dwarves necessary for execution to less than the number you've got in your squad.

Yes I did this but it did not help

A good alternative is to set your sqads on "inactive", as they'll do their own weapons training(but only this one skill) at their leisure. This means that some will NOT train for whatever reason, but it generally works ok.
Well yes when my military is inactive, some dwarves (even those that are not in a squad) do 'individual combat drill'. But others (when inactive military) anyway have status "organise combat training" (this if even for a dwarf that is not commander or captain) or 'wait for training'. Damn it I thinks it's impossible to make dwarves train in DF2010
Thanks for advice

And another question. I have a room with 3 armor stand and 1 weapon rack. And I made this room barracks by [q] key for EVERY of these armor stands. Does this matter? When I make barracks only for one armor stand, the situation with training does not change

Gudamor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 12, 2010, 01:59:14 am »

can you leave the beggining square that you start out in?

I can't seem to view the area outside of it and I was worried that I can't eventually go scouting for lava

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but once you have 'embarked' on a site the size and shape of the site is fixed.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 1178