Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123353 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #645 on: May 09, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »

Hostile races won't trade with you, and Goblins are naturally hostile toward Dwarfs. There have been rare occurrences of friendly goblin civilizations, but there are certain tags in their entity file that make them naturally hostile. You would need to change those to have friendly goblins. How to do that is a question for the modding forum.

Disabling sieges won't make them friendly. It is more like a wall preventing unfriendly non-wildlife entities from entering.

I know this was true in 40d, but I dont think its true in 2010 anymore. The entities now have spheres attached to them, as an abstraction of the ethical/moral/cultural roots. If you give the gobbo and the dorf sphere in common or in positive relation they should come to peace easier and be less willing to go war without removing their more gobby tags.
Batshit :3. [BABYSNATCHER] makes them automatically hostile.

Have you experiment with this, Deon? I do recall Toady speaking on how congruent spheres will make civilization entity more friendly with each other. I gather that the babysnatching will make the targeted civs pissed at the gobbo, but they should be able to get over it. Once 2010 is released mac, and I can find the complete sphere list on the huge 2010 Dev thread, I'll test it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 09, 2010, 07:16:10 pm »

Is it possible to breach a vertical magma pipe wall without losing a dwarf?
When there is no way to channel down to breach the wall is it possible?

In this example.
Code: [Select]
||||||MMM
||||||MMM
||||||MMM
||||||MMM

Is it possible to get this without a sacrificial dwarf:

||||||MMM
||||||MMM
MMMMMMMMM
||||||MMM

Seems impossible, without simply hoping the dwarf reacts fast enough from the magma falling on top of him, it's more often the case that dwarf does a good impression of the
opening cinematic.
Funny, but also annoying if you don't have any dwarfs you can sacrifice.

So yeah any tricky methods to manage this?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 09, 2010, 07:29:31 pm »

Not reliably, however in 40d I could smooth and use fortifications to allow magma to move through a wall with a fairly high success rate for survival. My advice would be to disable temperature, smooth the wall, designate a fortification and save before it completes. The engraver should run away as soon as the magma starts pouring through and most times he can outrun the flow. If he doesn't, reload and try again.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 09, 2010, 07:48:47 pm »

Yeah I think engraving would have the highest survival rate.  Since it's got a narrower gap to go through it should take longer for the magma to come through, although DF liquid physics  :-\

I will try that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 09, 2010, 08:52:01 pm »

Using a fortification and coming in at an angle has been pretty consistent with not cooking my dwarves.

Basically, you find a magma tile that's something like so
##
#M
then fortification-ize the top left wall. Obviously 'top left' will change, depending on the situation, but it works pretty well for a small lava repository. Dunno how it reacts to longer flows, though. It'll fill up a 2 shift-diagonal designation space, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 10, 2010, 04:20:56 am »

Using a fortification and coming in at an angle has been pretty consistent with not cooking my dwarves.

Basically, you find a magma tile that's something like so
##
#M
then fortification-ize the top left wall. Obviously 'top left' will change, depending on the situation, but it works pretty well for a small lava repository. Dunno how it reacts to longer flows, though. It'll fill up a 2 shift-diagonal designation space, anyway.
Just to expand on this, if possible build an exit staircase VERY close by. Ensure the staircase leads into an airlock room, as liquids expand: Down, Out and then Up.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 10, 2010, 09:27:54 am »

Is it possible to breach a vertical magma pipe wall without losing a dwarf?
When there is no way to channel down to breach the wall is it possible?

I successfully breached a magma sea without casualties by digging diagonally like this:
WWWWWMM
____XMM
____WMM
S___WMM
WWWWWMM

When my miner had dug out the "X" marked spot, he was able to retreat safely up the stairs "S" without being burnt, and the tunnel was filling up with magma.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:48 am »

Good suggestions all, the wider tunnel with the way out perpendicular to the direction of flow, and diagonal fortification breach methods sound very promising.

Thanks for the tips.

neverknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 10, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »

I made a new world by accident I think.. but I still could play with my old save/world..
Is there a way to get the old world back?

Is reclaiming a fortress the only way to embark on the same spot I had a fortress before?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 10, 2010, 02:25:22 pm »

I don't understand the question. Generating a new world doesn't wipe out your current world. It's still in the save-file, and can be selected from the "continue playing" list. At the moment I've got nine worlds genned, and active saves from worlds 2, 3, 4, 8, and 9.

If you abandoned the fort you want to play you may have to reclaim it. You may be able to start a new fort on  the same site, assuming you can locate it. I abandoned a fort once and when I started a new fort on that world it showed up on the map as an existing dwarf fort.

Nick

neverknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 10, 2010, 02:35:20 pm »

Im sorry if my question are weird :( Im just confused..
but now its clear :)

But is there a way to make a clean embark on the same site again..?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 10, 2010, 03:36:48 pm »

You should be able to re-gen the same world; you'd need the generation seed used by the world in question. I've completely forgotten where to find the thing's seed though, if you didn't preserve it on initial generation. Run a few searches on the forum, it should pull something up. Something about legends mode, I think?

Anyway, creating an identical world is pretty much the only way you're going to get a clean embark on the same site, s'far as I know. Abandon/reclaim will kill everyone on the site, but not clear out constructions and mining and such.

Now, mind you, if you genned a new world, the old one should still be there and fine, you can still go to continue and fire it up. You've just got another world you can play parallel, and you can keep creating new regions until you run out of disk space.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ragnar blackmane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 10, 2010, 03:54:22 pm »

Hi. First time here, so im not sure if this is the right place.

When Preparing for an adventure, for some reason no button allows me to give the dwarfs any skills. Does anyone know why this is? Or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks.

neverknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 10, 2010, 04:06:35 pm »

usually it should be + / -
you could try using the numblock too

-----

thanks for answering my question before!

ragnar blackmane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 10, 2010, 04:16:33 pm »

Not working
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 1178