Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123279 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #630 on: May 07, 2010, 02:14:11 pm »

That really sucks, I was hoping to enshrine the dwarfs that died during the first siege. :(

Oh well, thanks for your help. :)  This was a sweet world, too. No elves survived world gen.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:18:18 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 07, 2010, 03:07:26 pm »

I've killed two forgotten beasts with unusual corpses (one is coal, another is cat's eye). The material is of course very valuable, but I can't seem to do anything with them except let them sit in my refuse bin. Is there any way to butcher these corpses?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 07, 2010, 03:24:46 pm »

Hi!

That really sucks, I was hoping to enshrine the dwarfs that died during the first siege. :(

Oh well, thanks for your help. :)  This was a sweet world, too. No elves survived world gen.

Actually, if you are really obsessive, there is something similar to burial you can do, but that would be a mega project:

1. For each dwarf you wish to bury, you need a room that is at least 2 z-levels high and 5x5 tiles in horizontal measures. However, the lowest level of the room should look like this:
Code: [Select]
###.###
#.....#
#.###.#
#.#.#.#
#.###.#
#.....#
#######

legend:
# = wall
. = dug out

The example is the room with the entrance to the north.

1b. Smooth or engrave the room/walls as you see fit.

2. In one room. Construct a ramp, so your dwarves can get onto the walls in the middle of the room.

3. Create a garbage dump above the central empty space (and one adjacent tile from where to dump things).

4. Dump the corpse and any burial gifts for the dwarf you want to bury there.

5. Deactivate the garbage dump.

6. Build a floor on top of the empty space in the center and then destroy the ramp.

7. Repeat for 2 - 6 for each dwarf you wish to bury.

For bonus, mass produce statues. Sooner or later, you should get statues depicting the death of the dwarves. You can then place the appropriate statues in the surrounding 5x5 room.

Ah, since the dwarves do not claim the room and will decay, you should use the note function to remember who got buried where.

It is really a mega project, but you may enjoy that challenge. Ah, and I have never done something like that myself.

Deathworks

thepet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 07, 2010, 03:48:16 pm »

Quick question:

Should I be able to have a "Oaken Log Upward Slope" - constructed by me, covered in 7/7 magma?

My plan was to build it out of wood so that when I flooded the pit with magma, it'd be destroyed.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 07, 2010, 04:57:34 pm »

Actually, if you are really obsessive, there is something similar to burial you can do, but that would be a mega project:
[cut]

It's a good suggestion, but I need to start a new map anyway for the vermin removal reaction. Plus the "friendly" goblins drive off the dwarf caravan, and I still get goblin sieges instead of goblin caravans. I'm disabling sieges in init also until military actually works and my butt heals from the last raping I received from the overpowered siegers. :P :D  Two friendly goblins died so far, but they were taking on 10-15 ambushers solo, since the friendly ones are all spread out across the fort.

Another quick question while I am here: I disabled invaders in init, is there anything else I need to do to make the goblins trade with me? So that they will at least be useful if I can't fight them.

Edit: An easier way to do the custom grave thing would be to channel 1 tile holes, designate them as pits, and pit the desired corpse, then floor them up afterward. Requires unoccupied space below, of course.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:56:55 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 07, 2010, 05:17:32 pm »

Quick question:

Should I be able to have a "Oaken Log Upward Slope" - constructed by me, covered in 7/7 magma?

My plan was to build it out of wood so that when I flooded the pit with magma, it'd be destroyed.

As a ramp is a construction it probably will be indestructible.
I remember walls made of ice in 40d, which  wouldnīt even melt if exposed to dragon fire.
Donīt think it has changed in 2010

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #636 on: May 07, 2010, 05:53:09 pm »

If you hit a certain k ('m' IIRC) you can force the game to display trade good it's hiding because of mandates. The setting is called "Culling on mandates"

If that displays your glass items we'll know one of your three Mayors has banned glass exports.

That's probably it.  I probably saw the note about it in trade screen and hit it, thinking "I wonder what this does..."  Will give it a go next time.  No Justice, so no need to worry about my glassmakers getting jailed.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 08, 2010, 02:07:36 am »

Hi!

Another quick question while I am here: I disabled invaders in init, is there anything else I need to do to make the goblins trade with me? So that they will at least be useful if I can't fight them.

Unfortunately, the goblin traders were a very rare occurrence in an earlier version. I have not heard of any natural goblin traders in 40d or 31, so I guess you would need to modify the raws in your save (the file entity_default.txt in the objects is probably what you need to look at as it contains the information on the races). But what changes you would need to make, I don't know.

Deathworks

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 08, 2010, 02:16:04 am »

Hostile races won't trade with you, and Goblins are naturally hostile toward Dwarfs. There have been rare occurrences of friendly goblin civilizations, but there are certain tags in their entity file that make them naturally hostile. You would need to change those to have friendly goblins. How to do that is a question for the modding forum.

Disabling sieges won't make them friendly. It is more like a wall preventing unfriendly non-wildlife entities from entering.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 08, 2010, 02:35:29 am »

Hostile races won't trade with you, and Goblins are naturally hostile toward Dwarfs. There have been rare occurrences of friendly goblin civilizations, but there are certain tags in their entity file that make them naturally hostile. You would need to change those to have friendly goblins. How to do that is a question for the modding forum.

Disabling sieges won't make them friendly. It is more like a wall preventing unfriendly non-wildlife entities from entering.

I know this was true in 40d, but I dont think its true in 2010 anymore. The entities now have spheres attached to them, as an abstraction of the ethical/moral/cultural roots. If you give the gobbo and the dorf sphere in common or in positive relation they should come to peace easier and be less willing to go war without removing their more gobby tags.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 08, 2010, 02:37:55 am »

Hrmmm... good info, thanks!

Maybe that explains sightings of "Dark Dwarven Fortress" and so on in worldgen. Might also explain why Elves aren't trading (probably at war with my mother civ, though I have sieges off to avoid piddling combat and healthcare bugs).
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 08, 2010, 02:48:14 am »

Dark dwarven fortresses are usually created when one civ conquers another's site. You can also occasionally see dwarven forest retreats when they conquer elves, etc.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #642 on: May 09, 2010, 07:34:21 am »

So, what's this?  I've had these kidnap jobs up for a long time, can't quite remember when they showed up.  Anyone?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 09, 2010, 07:43:50 am »

I know this was true in 40d, but I dont think its true in 2010 anymore. The entities now have spheres attached to them, as an abstraction of the ethical/moral/cultural roots. If you give the gobbo and the dorf sphere in common or in positive relation they should come to peace easier and be less willing to go war without removing their more gobby tags.
Batshit :3. [BABYSNATCHER] makes them automatically hostile.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ThiefofTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 09, 2010, 09:19:06 am »

Go to announcements, (z)oom to location. It will look  like one or two ramps going down. That being said, it's possible to find a 'downward passage' by uncovering it on the lower cavern, where it is technically an upward passage, but you will still get the same message.
I've noticed that you sometimes need to send someone to investigate these downward/upwards passages. I do it by dropping a puppy into the cavern via pit/pond activity zones, specifying a 'meeting zone' which, after a pause, the puppy will move towards. Using this you can move an animal you otherwise have no control over around the underground. Don't do it when your dwarves have access to the underground level you are specifying, though.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 1178