Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123250 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #600 on: May 04, 2010, 10:33:19 am »

Hey-o,

my Hunter is acting like he can't hunt, even though he's got all his skills, his ammo, and his weapon. but he sits around my great hall all day, unless I tell him do to anything else.

Help please?

You probably need a free quiver. Hunters need quivers now. Plus you need to assign the ammo, or some such rot, via the military screen (m->f, iirc. I'unno, I've mostly stopped bothering with anything beyond the first and the equipment page). What you really want to do, though, is to bugger hunting and put together some useless dwarves into a military squad, then have them run around killing animals for you. It's much bloody faster, since hunters stop for a bugger-all long time every time they run out of ammo... and bone only comes in 5 stack parts now, so you're either wasting metal or wood on the process.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 04, 2010, 02:47:28 pm »

Your merchants must die a lot to get those stats.
Nope. One Elf died in a goblin raid, but nobody else.

Merchants always get precisely $1.50 for every $1.00 I buy. Most of this does not show up in exports, tho, because it belonged to goblin raiders.

Gobbo-socks aren't as valuable today as they were on 40d, but when you have 100 of them...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:52:47 pm by nickbii »

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 04, 2010, 03:08:27 pm »

Does anyone know a good way to increase attributes in DF2010? Specifically agility?

Not sure this helps but I had 4 dwarves in my last fortress, legendary in both axedwarf and fighter.  Basically they sat and trained for maybe 4 years in full steel armor and fought off the odd ambush.  Each had 30 or so goblin kills (granted 2/3 of those came on unarmed goblins freed from cages in an arena).  All of their stats were the same when I checked after years of training.  "Extremely agile, flimsy and weak".  (I don't recall how they started out unfortunately but all 4 had almost exactly the same stats at the end.)

So somehow that ended up improving agility, but possibly atrophying the other phsyical stats.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:20 pm »

So somehow that ended up improving agility, but possibly atrophying the other phsyical stats.
I have same training program for axelords. Stats vary, but most of them are 'amazingly agile, indefatigable, mighty', so all their physical stats are high.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #604 on: May 04, 2010, 11:04:16 pm »

Two quick questions:

1)  If I wanted to build an inverted pyramid tower building, do I need to provide support like flying buttresses or can it stand on the few tiny squares that touch the ground?

2)  Are ballistas hindered by fortification like normal missile fire?
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 04, 2010, 11:18:41 pm »

1. S'long as one square, somewhere, is attached to solid ground, you could support any amount of constructions you please. So no, you don't need to provide support. Just make sure those 'few tiny squares' are either undug ground or constructed walls or something, not built supports.

2. Dunno. They can shoot through them, but I've never attempted to do so from a distance (i.e. the ballista was right beside the fortification), so I've no clue if accuracy would be impacted... or if they run off accuracy at all. 40d wiki seems to suggest they whack anything that gets in their way, so I guess they wouldn't have a problem with firing from a bit back. They don't seem to act significantly different from 40d, barring the whole bouncing off clothes thing, anyway.
Ask not!
Ask!

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 05, 2010, 01:03:53 am »

I made a new world and modded the dwarf speed to 70, however it happens to have no effect and they are all still slow. In an old world they are flying along yet for some reason on my new world adding [speed:70] to the creature file does nothing.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 05, 2010, 01:49:04 am »

Try SPEED:0 instead.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 05, 2010, 05:07:05 am »

Also, you need to fix the raws in the individual region's save folder (./data/save/regionX/raw/), otherwise it won't kick in until regen. It sounds like you modded the base raw files after you genned the world (at least from the way you worded it), which wouldn't really do anything for the fresh region. Anyway, anything below something like 700 is faster than anything currently in the raws, iirc; speed:70 is zoomin' compared to everything else in vanillaland, so you should be seeing something pretty noticeable even with that.
Ask not!
Ask!

kmob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 05, 2010, 10:21:50 am »

In regards to the combat reports - is there a message stating when someone (or something!) actually dies? I haven't been able to find one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 05, 2010, 10:24:32 am »

Beyond the various 'struck down' announcements, not that I've seen. You can generally tell when something kills them violently though; either the head or upper/lower body goes flying in an arc. Bleeding out and such isn't as delineated, so you're kinda' buggered with those.
Ask not!
Ask!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 05, 2010, 02:23:43 pm »

Hi!

First of all, Jimmy, I need to thank you for that nice little graphic telling people about commas and the like. Its truths do have a soothing effect on a tortured soul.

Now, to get down to the chase:

1. Is there any way to make announcements and combat reports (but most importantly announcements) stay available longer? I usually let my forest run for a while unattended as I have a slow, small fortress that does not need constant monitoring, and in case of emergency, it will stop at the beginning of each season anyway. However, sometimes I find the protocols to be unavailable inside the game.

2. Is there any way to modify the marriage announcements via the announcements.txt file? I couldn't find any entry that fits them, but I want the game to pause whenever I get a marriage (as I said, I am often not watching, and marriages are a main goal for me).

Deathworks

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 06, 2010, 05:45:09 am »

You're welcome Deathworks.

To answer your question, the announcement behavior is hardcoded. Sadly it's not possible to change the announcement log. If you're desperate of course, the game keeps a file called gamelog.txt in the main DF directory that records all the announcements, combat reports and other spam all in one file, so you could muck through that for marriages fairly simply.

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 06, 2010, 09:26:18 pm »

ok i have used the search feature and have not found a solution to me question/problem. currently running DF 2010, but no matter what I put in the ini file including defaults for windowed or full screen mode I get clipping at the right side of the DF screen. I thought I could live with it at first, but is starting to get really annoying.

am I missing something here?
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

morejolli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 06, 2010, 10:07:37 pm »

@AceOne

Has it been that way since installation or did it start only after you changed the ini. file?
Quote from: Gandalf
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 1178