Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123253 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #585 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:28 pm »

Guess that most people aren't as generous with their merchants as me then. I have 95,000 imported, 236,000 exported with a pop of 50.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 03, 2010, 09:33:44 pm »

Guess that most people aren't as generous with their merchants as me then. I have 95,000 imported, 236,000 exported with a pop of 50.

I usually also have a surplus in exports.
At the time my trader is  experienced enough to really get good prices for the things the fortress sells I have enough dwarves producing high quality stonecrafts, so that I´m glad to give the traders much more than the minimum they would demand.
(and traders who leave happy will come back  with more stuff next year ... at least if this  rule has remained unchanged from  40d)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 03, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »

Guess that most people aren't as generous with their merchants as meI (or "I am") then. I have 95,000 imported, 236,000 exported with a pop of 50.

The skill involved in trading is providing what the trader really wants, and getting more than you give. A really skilled player with a skilled broker will take everything they want or need from the merchant while giving them a pittance, and still leave the merchant ecstatic.

Thus the mark of skill is how much higher your imported wealth is than your exported. The problems with that measurement are that any imported items are removed from imported wealth once they're naturalized or consumed, and anything left behind by invaders counts as imported wealth.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 03, 2010, 10:08:08 pm »

Where do i place wells???? because it dosen't seem to want to be placed. [yes i have the right amount of things to make a well]
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 03, 2010, 11:00:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For me I see trade as a way to permanently dispose of unwanted junk and improve my FPS, meanwhile gaining goods I can use for supplying my fort. Thanks to three caravans a year I've never had to plant a single seed. All my food is imported, and I've gained a large surplus.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 03, 2010, 11:15:35 pm »

That's an awesome comic. It's still funny even after you implied a connection between myself and the NAZI party.
The sigs topic:

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 03, 2010, 11:33:46 pm »

Guess that most people aren't as generous with their merchants as meI (or "I am") then. I have 95,000 imported, 236,000 exported with a pop of 50.

The skill involved in trading is providing what the trader really wants, and getting more than you give. A really skilled player with a skilled broker will take everything they want or need from the merchant while giving them a pittance, and still leave the merchant ecstatic.

Thus the mark of skill is how much higher your imported wealth is than your exported. The problems with that measurement are that any imported items are removed from imported wealth once they're naturalized or consumed, and anything left behind by invaders counts as imported wealth.

Personally I try to offload as much junk as I can onto the traders to try to increase my framerate and declutter a bit.  It's nothing to do with strategy, just trying to get from 20 fps to 30 fps :P

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 03, 2010, 11:41:56 pm »

That's an awesome comic. It's still funny even after you implied a connection between myself and the NAZI party.
No harm intended. Also, here's one for your side.
Spoiler: NSFW (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:32:55 am by Jimmy »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 04, 2010, 12:31:20 am »

First, I need a disclaimer: That cartoon is not actually a representation of my opinion, or "side."
To review: I am not associated with the NAZI party, grammar Nazis, nor any permutation thereof, and I am not represented by the spiteful, filthy-worded yet enormously entertaining ***hole who decided to describe everything any educated person feels at some point when reading online forum posts, blogs, and comments.

So, Jimmy, where whence can I call upon these amazing little snippets of internet wit when I need them?
And, again, kudos.
Spoiler: Staying out of trouble (click to show/hide)
The sigs topic:

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 04, 2010, 12:35:58 am »

I have a big collection of image links. Mostly I just remember stuff I've seen and use it when I spot an opportunity. I'm not a 4chan /b/tard or anything.

As for FPS streamlining, I still have full 100 FPS on a fort that's over 6 years old. Downside is that I've not breached the underground, so I expect that'll hit it soon.

Talmanaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 04, 2010, 12:50:15 am »

Hey-o,

my Hunter is acting like he can't hunt, even though he's got all his skills, his ammo, and his weapon. but he sits around my great hall all day, unless I tell him do to anything else.

Help please?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 04, 2010, 01:04:09 am »

Yup, hunting's broken. Similar issue to the military bugs with ranged combat, you'll need to wait for Toady to update the game to have hunting work reliably. Workaround is to give your military kill orders on the creature you want dead, then haul it over to your butcher's manually.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 04, 2010, 07:24:32 am »

If i put an order 'forbid your death items', will it put the dorfs both with their items in the tombs, or my burial team will first take off all of their staff?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #598 on: May 04, 2010, 08:19:59 am »

Where do i place wells???? because it dosen't seem to want to be placed. [yes i have the right amount of things to make a well]
Wells must be placed on open space, not on a floor or ground, but over channeled or midair adjacent to floor.  They must have open space containing water beneath them, possibly with multiple Z-levels of open space between the well and the water.  If you have a river, you can simply build the well over a river space at the edge of the river.  Same with a pond.  If you have a brook, you must channel out a tile of the brook before you can build the well there.  Otherwise you have to dig out an area, arrange for it to be filled with water, then build the well over it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 04, 2010, 09:07:36 am »

Does anyone know a good way to increase attributes in DF2010? Specifically agility?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 1178