Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123140 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2010, 11:09:26 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Moods#Skills_and_workshops

Yeah I already knew that, i was asking how to find out which of his labours that are active that requires a Workshop for his Possessed mood to continue.
Dwarf therapist told me though as it helpfully states Strange Mood Weaver.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2010, 11:10:59 am »

It's always the highest crafting skill, not linked to activated labour at all.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 01, 2010, 11:41:48 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Thread

According to this a single Thread on my stock screen is worth 15,000 threads right?

Well I'm trying to make some Silk cloth for my Possessed Dwarf, and there are over 300 Silk Threads waiting to be converted into Cloth however a short while after issuing the command I get the message:

Urist McClothier Cancels Make Silk Cloth: Need 15000 Unit Thread.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 01, 2010, 11:51:07 am »

The stocks screen shows all thread, even webs your weaver can't reach.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 01, 2010, 11:57:44 am »

I've checked that. Most of the cloth is stolen from the Depot. The stolen thread has been unforbidden and the Depot is right next to the Clothiers and the Loom.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 01, 2010, 12:13:05 pm »

I've checked that. Most of the cloth is stolen from the Depot. The stolen thread has been unforbidden and the Depot is right next to the Clothiers and the Loom.

You can't use things that don't belong to you, either.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 01, 2010, 02:50:39 pm »

I have a stack of 2 whip vines sitting in a wood stockpile, and there is a food stockpile just next door.. ? report bug?

Make sure the food stockpile has an open space?  A stone in the space will block anything new from being placed there.

Fensfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 01, 2010, 02:56:24 pm »

I know that 'Inside, Dark, Underground' protects dwarves from dying of exposure in extremely cold biomes like glaciers, but can the same be said of 'Inside, Light, Above Ground'?  That is, say, is an above-ground tower-fort on the ice viable?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 01, 2010, 03:25:47 pm »

water inside above ground still freezes in my winters, so, i bet no

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 01, 2010, 05:56:09 pm »

You can't use things that don't belong to you, either.

Afaik the old destroy Depot while merchants are here then unforbidding the items and reclaiming them makes them owned.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 01, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »

I had one of my starting dwarves (barely any combat skills) as my militia commander for the starting few waves of migrants in my fort. Then I received a leatherworker with tremendous skills, expert in armor use, fighter, dodger and pike user, i think. I decided that my old militia commander would become my sherriff ( think of it as a sideways promotion!) and I would put the leatherworker to work as my new militia captain - someone highly skilled enough to actually teach my troops something. But on the nobles screen, my old militia captain refuses to give up the post! he accepted sherrif easily enough, but every time i make 'sarge' my new military commander, the sherrifs name pops back in there?

Also, bridges - when raised, they dont count as a wall for as many tiles as they are long! i was hoping that i could build short, wide bridges and raise them as walls then destroy the switch.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 01, 2010, 07:36:43 pm »

I had one of my starting dwarves (barely any combat skills) as my militia commander for the starting few waves of migrants in my fort. Then I received a leatherworker with tremendous skills, expert in armor use, fighter, dodger and pike user, i think. I decided that my old militia commander would become my sherriff ( think of it as a sideways promotion!) and I would put the leatherworker to work as my new militia captain - someone highly skilled enough to actually teach my troops something. But on the nobles screen, my old militia captain refuses to give up the post! he accepted sherrif easily enough, but every time i make 'sarge' my new military commander, the sherrifs name pops back in there?
Might be related to how you promote the new commander. Are you using the noble screen to do it? Because I was thinking, that if the sheriff-dwarf is still commanding the first squad, the game might default back to him?
Try changing the the militia commander in the military window instead, that might solve the problem. I don't have any active fortress right now, so unfortunately I can't try it out myself.
Love, scriver~

WurmD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 01, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »

I have a stack of 2 whip vines sitting in a wood stockpile, and there is a food stockpile just next door.. ? report bug?

Make sure the food stockpile has an open space?  A stone in the space will block anything new from being placed there.

Yes, that was it. There was some hidden stones there

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 01, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »

You can't demote any commander with units under him; in effect, this means you have to completely strip the first squad you made of all units, then change the leader of that squad and then change the noble screen setting if you want to replace the militia commander.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 1178