Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123097 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #510 on: April 25, 2010, 05:00:45 pm »

Nick, you could simply make a new burrow spanning everywhere and remove the part where the goblins can go to.
That's pretty much what I did. I have three burrows -- the Depot, the entrance hall to my fort, and "Home." The problem is that "home" keeps growing, and constantly adding to it is a bit of a pain.

I could make a fourth burrow for Goblin-go areas, and then create an alert setting that allows dwarves to go everywhere but that burrow. That would be logically equivalent to a no-go burrow, but I'd still have the problem of expanding burrows as I add rooms.

And now another little question:
My cavern includes an un-named Olmman civilization. They're hostile. CVan I interact with them without killing them?

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 25, 2010, 07:05:20 pm »

I collapsed a tile of bituminous coal floor on top of bituminous coal wall, and got a sizable cloud of cavein dust that was, essentially, powdered coal.
Here's the question. Is it possible to arrange a unfortunate accident involving coal dust and high temperatures?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:06:52 pm by spikedball »

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 25, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 25, 2010, 07:53:56 pm »

I collapsed a tile of bituminous coal floor on top of bituminous coal wall, and got a sizable cloud of cavein dust that was, essentially, powdered coal.
Here's the question. Is it possible to arrange a unfortunate accident involving coal dust and high temperatures?
I'm pretty sure dust, of any type, is completely inert. How exactly do you intend to get it hot enough to ignite anyways, the only way to achieve high temperatures without !!dwarves!! is magma, and if you have magma than you shouldn't be bothering with coal shenanigans  :-\
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 25, 2010, 10:46:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure dust, of any type, is completely inert. How exactly do you intend to get it hot enough to ignite anyways, the only way to achieve high temperatures without !!dwarves!! is magma, and if you have magma than you shouldn't be bothering with coal shenanigans  :-\

Toady has said in Dwarf Talk that explosions of any kind are not implemented at all in the current version.  He may consider them for future releases if they feel right for the game.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 25, 2010, 11:00:04 pm »

currently the closest thing you can get to an explosion is igniting liquor, which will vaporize. although i'm not entirely sure if the vapor will even burn creatures or not.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 25, 2010, 11:37:37 pm »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 25, 2010, 11:46:28 pm »

And now another little question:
My cavern includes an un-named Olmman civilization. They're hostile. Can I interact with them without killing them?

I have a plan to make them friendly. Some guy says that if an animal-man kills a mega-beast for you he become friendly. I don't have any of those, but I just captured a gobbo baby-snatcher. I'll strip him naked, and pit him into the cavern. If a) that guy was right, b) they attack the gobbo, and c) olmman blowguns can kill naked gobbos, I'll be very happy.

Nick

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:42 am »

It doesn't work. I had a forgotten beast hop out of the fog of war right next to a hostile cavefishman tribe. It had no venoms, so it very quickly ended up as a smear of "Gusap's Steam". The fishies were still hostile though.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

spikesp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 26, 2010, 01:19:50 am »

super HFS question

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 26, 2010, 01:39:31 am »

Actually no, to both. The
is relatively rare (I've yet to see one, over a good couple dozen forts), and it's possible with a sufficiently small map not to find that* which cuts through the magma sea -- I've lacked it precisely once, so far, with a 2x2 map.

Iirc, there are supposed to be a certain number of them per some number of embark tiles. You're supposedly bloody likely to hit both with a full sized (16x16?) square.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 26, 2010, 11:19:32 pm »

The wiki has the sum of our current knowledge on such matters. I assume someone took the trouble to confirm it all, but there's no documentation.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 28, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »

Is it just me or can you no longer fish in brooks? Any time I make an activity zone over mine, regardless of point of zone start of brook end of, before or after waterfall... theres no fishing option. Surely its not fishless?!
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 28, 2010, 05:28:06 pm »

The relative lack of fish is well known, already, and slated for a fixin' with .04. From what I understand, temperature shenanigans are cooking fish populations to death, or something along those lines. So it's entirely possibly there's no fish in the brook. Of course, it could be something else entirely, heh.

Have you tried just setting your dwarves to fish without designating fishing zones and seeing if they try the brook?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 28, 2010, 08:04:22 pm »

currently the closest thing you can get to an explosion is igniting liquor, which will vaporize. although i'm not entirely sure if the vapor will even burn creatures or not.
They actually do, I read the combat report of a goblin, who got caught in a boiling cloud of wine, and he got struck down from it.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1178