Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123068 times)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #480 on: April 22, 2010, 09:46:58 pm »

The reason for "acid rain" is known and has been fixed. We're waiting on the release now!
And the cause was actually something about all the dwarves' "water covering"s being heated and boiled and melting their skin off when exposed to even slight heat.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 23, 2010, 02:24:32 am »

Is it normal to find dwarves whose choice profession has been unselected from their Labor options?  I'm finding A LOT that in my game.  Brewers that don't have brewing selected.  Mechanics who don't have Mechanic selected.  It's getting a bit annoying to have to hunt down their lazy butts and fix everything... especially without a more streamlined interface.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2010, 02:26:10 am »

that's 'normal' right now. immigrants will (sometimes) arrive with a bunch of skills, but the associated labors won't start enabled. probably a bug.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:45:14 am by AncientEnemy »

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2010, 03:50:38 am »

Is it normal to find dwarves whose choice profession has been unselected from their Labor options?  I'm finding A LOT that in my game.  Brewers that don't have brewing selected.  Mechanics who don't have Mechanic selected.  It's getting a bit annoying to have to hunt down their lazy butts and fix everything... especially without a more streamlined interface.

I can't play without DwarfTherapist.

I don't consider it a bug though. I don't like it when I have a legendary metalcrafter asleep and some crappy immigrant taking over his crafting job. So personally I see it as an improvement, but that's also because the DwarfTherapist GUI is such a great improvement.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2010, 03:57:22 am »

It  seems to me like it has something to do with the skill level of the jobs.
Dwarves with novice (or sometimes adequate) skills in their jobs
have the profession as job title, but  their respective jobs disabled.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2010, 04:36:30 am »

To me it looks like it's pretty random. I've had migrants with skills quite high run in with them disabled, even though they did have the title. Also it seems that sometimes they have a jobtitle without having much skill in a certain job at all :)

Anyway, I tend to check out new waves with DT the moment they are in and pretty much disable all labors.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2010, 08:22:43 am »

Maybe toady is trying to force us to use forms of attack OTHER than massive fortifications, traps, and marksdwarves lining fortified kill zones...
Then he's failing, since the military is a nightmare right now, so traps and fortifications are needed more than ever.

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 23, 2010, 09:46:35 am »

To me it looks like it's pretty random. I've had migrants with skills quite high run in with them disabled, even though they did have the title. Also it seems that sometimes they have a jobtitle without having much skill in a certain job at all :)

Anyway, I tend to check out new waves with DT the moment they are in and pretty much disable all labors.

I haven't studied this too extensively, but it looks like a dwarf will usually not have the labor enabled if some other dwarf already has the labor enabled. So if you already have a level 5 leatherworker, and a level 13 leatherworker comes, he won't have the labor enabled. Buf if a level 1 leatherworker comes to a fort without anyone else assigned to leather working, he will. Just an observation I've found usually holds true.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 23, 2010, 09:51:34 am »

Untrue.  I've had migrants come with skills enabled I have enabled on other dwarves. 
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2010, 09:58:36 am »

Untrue.  I've had migrants come with skills enabled I have enabled on other dwarves.

Like I said - it's only usually true. And mostly for crafting and farming professions. Tho often, dwarves with 1 rank in farming professions won't have them enabled no matter what the labor assignments in your fort is. Carpentry seems to usually be enabled, animal professions usually seem not to be.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2010, 10:03:39 am »

I've had, Leatherworkers, Armor and Weapon crafters and Glassmakers all come enabled with one in the fort.  I think what happens is that a Dwarf gets an underlying template, let's for sake of example pick: siege engineer.  He gets a skill of 3 in siege engineer and has it enabled.  Then the game applies random stats to him, and somehow he miraculously gets a 13 in Armorsmithing.  His enabled skill would be Siege Engineer but his job title would be Armorsmith, because that is his highest skill.  Just seems to follow some kind of formula like that to mine eyes.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

MarkOfZero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2010, 01:30:08 pm »

Does anyone know a way to get magma from way down in magma sea level (sometimes ~100 z levels below my fort) and transport it up to my industry area?
Basically anyone figure out a way to transport all that lava from way down below to way up top? As far as I know the only way is to build hundreds of magma safe pumps - but that would take literally years.

Also, with the inclusion of all these z levels is there a way to move through them quickly? That is, just a shift make the cursor move 10 spaces in any direction, is there a way to move, say, 10 z-levels down?

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 23, 2010, 04:04:17 pm »

Does anyone know a way to get magma from way down in magma sea level (sometimes ~100 z levels below my fort) and transport it up to my industry area?
Basically anyone figure out a way to transport all that lava from way down below to way up top? As far as I know the only way is to build hundreds of magma safe pumps - but that would take literally years.

Yes, a pump stack is the way to do it. You could also move your fort Down There, or generate a new world with less z-levels (50 works for me!).

Also, with the inclusion of all these z levels is there a way to move through them quickly? That is, just a shift make the cursor move 10 spaces in any direction, is there a way to move, say, 10 z-levels down?

Not that I'm aware of. Hotkeys will probably help you - hit 'h' when you're not already in a menu, or read about them on the wiki.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 23, 2010, 06:00:46 pm »

I've been playing for a few months now, but I've finally found enough stuff I can't figure out on my own/from the wiki. I was gonna make my own thread, but these are just a bunch of random misc questions, might as well use this one.

1. I know 31.03 has the military training bugs, but everyone talks about getting the military to do individual training. How do I get this to occur, specifically getting marksdwarves to train on their own? I have assigned them bolts for training, and I have built archery targets. They will either stand around waiting for a training session if set to train, or go become civvies if set to inactive?

2. The wiki has listed (red linked) on their nobles page various nobles that I have no idea what they do. Militia Commander and Militia Captains I understand. What are Captains, Lieutenants, General, Outpost Liasons and Diplomats? Are they just upgraded versions of current nobles, the same way a Duke/King is just an upgraded Baron?

3. My first attempt at capturing wild animals for meat resulted in 3 Hoary Marmots in cages. Are you required to tame a caged animal just so you can slaughter it for meat? That seems counter-intuitive. I assigned the military to kill it, but they just stood by the cage and glared angrily at it. I did try to tame them as well, but when I went to the kennel and selected tame a large animal, it looked like a list came up, except that list was empty, and the marmots were not listed. Alternatively, if I tried the same thing on tame a small animal, the giant rat was listed. which leads me to the next question...

4. Is there any way to specify which kind of vermin you want captured when you tell your dwarves to go capture a live animal? As much as I love all these bloody giant rats, some of the dwarves feel differently. Furthermore, is there anyway to get rid of captured vermin you don't want, and free up the cage? I don't want to tame it or make it a pet, I want to add it to my every increasing refuse pile outside.

5. Do fish "travel" through water pumps? IE, if I pump water from a river/lake into my fortress, can that water then be fished in? I realize that fish are vermin and they "spawn" in their biome, but is my artifical pond then considered part of their biome? I know that magma creatures will not spawn in magma taken away from the magma tube, will fish then not spawn in water taken away from the river? This is mostly a for the future question, since I know right now all the fish have been boiled away in the death oceans bugs.

6. Finally, if you need shells are you just SOL? Am I correct in assuming the only way to get shells is to process raw fish and the only way to process raw fish is to fish them out yourself? There's no way to import some and the fish you bring on embark won't work?

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 23, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »

What's the difference between regions and islands when generating a world?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 1178