Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123020 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #435 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:54 am »

Can i somehow create a burrow were the dorfs should never-even-if-there-is-the-last-booze-pile-and-them-are-dehydrated, e.g. completely NEVER go?
restricted zone does not work.
(The situation is, i've locked up elven traders with walls and waterchannel, and them all gone berserk. One survived, and my dorfs are trying to go near the channel, when there is one more path to their desired location - of course, after running near the channel them are feared with berserking muscox. It's not dying for a couple of seasons now, and it makes me *facepalm* of my own stupidity )
EDIT: Holy crap, even my military fears the muscox.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:29:14 am by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 19, 2010, 12:24:40 pm »

I have a simple question. I chose a fort location in the mountains, so I can't make a farm plot without first wetting the ground. I just made my first aqueduct and got water all over the place. It's just a layer of depth 1/7, but it's inside. How can I get rid of it? The ground is now muddy, so I don't need the water there anymore.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #437 on: April 19, 2010, 12:33:13 pm »

I have a simple question. I chose a fort location in the mountains, so I can't make a farm plot without first wetting the ground. I just made my first aqueduct and got water all over the place. It's just a layer of depth 1/7, but it's inside. How can I get rid of it? The ground is now muddy, so I don't need the water there anymore.
Wait.  1/7 water eventually evaporates.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 19, 2010, 12:48:20 pm »

Can i somehow create a burrow were the dorfs should never-even-if-there-is-the-last-booze-pile-and-them-are-dehydrated, e.g. completely NEVER go?
restricted zone does not work.
Best bet is to wall it off.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 19, 2010, 12:51:49 pm »

Or if you want them to be able to get back in later without having to demolish walls, wall it off and put a door in, then set the door to forbid (and probably pet-non-passable).

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 19, 2010, 02:06:04 pm »

Take off and nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 19, 2010, 02:36:07 pm »

If I have a live vermin, captured and tamed in an animal trap - how do I get my dwarves to adopt it, beyond setting it as Available in animal list?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 19, 2010, 02:55:58 pm »

You can't assign it to anyone, you just have to let them adopt if they want to.  Usually only dwarves that like that kind of vermin will do so.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:49 pm »

Is it deliberate that in 0.31, all subterranean ground tiles will have to be muddied before anything can be grown there, even "earth" (rather than rock) floors? The Dwarf Fortress Wiki claims it's a bug. If it is, I'd rather wait until a version is released where it's fixed.

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 19, 2010, 11:11:09 pm »

How can I create an "empty cages only" stockpile? I can't find it anywhere. Am I just missing it?

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 19, 2010, 11:19:13 pm »

One of my dwarves has just mooded and is now demanding (amongst other things) rock, rock blocks, and rock bars. WTF?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 19, 2010, 11:20:30 pm »

One of my dwarves has just mooded and is now demanding (amongst other things) rock, rock blocks, and rock bars. WTF?

Metal bars satisfy the need for rock bars. I think it's a glitch. It's happened to me.

Random_Guy7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 19, 2010, 11:28:07 pm »

How do I demolish built walls?

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 19, 2010, 11:30:59 pm »

How do I demolish built walls?

From the main menu: Designations [d], Remove Construction [n]

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 19, 2010, 11:41:19 pm »

How can I create an "empty cages only" stockpile? I can't find it anywhere. Am I just missing it?

Make an animal stockpile, and tell it not to accept any animals. I found this out when I had the opposite problem, I had a stockpile full of empty cages, and had to make another for ones that were filled with caught animals only.

Edit: PS, any ideas for my Depot access problem here?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:49:07 pm by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 1178