Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122914 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #345 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:22 pm »

Were the skeletons you butchered from animals that had already been designated to be butchered?

My problem is that a cat died, rotted away to a skeleton, and is not taking up space in my stockpiles. Butcher a dead animal doesn't work, I get a message that there's nothing to butcher.

Nick
Pet cat?
He's got a name, but my coffins are set to accept pets and he didn't get buried, so whoever owned him is long dead.

Nick

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 13, 2010, 01:01:48 am »

Is mining still a mood-able skill, resulting in legendary miners?

Also, are dwarves with legendary social skills still exempt from the economy?

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #347 on: April 13, 2010, 03:36:30 am »

Also, are dwarves with legendary social skills still exempt from the economy?
the first q: last version, miners became legendary stone-crafters I thought

second q: dunno haven't been anywhere near the $ part of the game.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 13, 2010, 04:19:16 am »

I don't understand the new military, is there a guide I can use to help me?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 13, 2010, 04:52:23 am »

I don't understand the new military, is there a guide I can use to help me?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military
Maybe?

Saladan0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2010, 05:24:15 am »

Got a military question. As hard as it is to train new recruits ive been having some major problms with one issue.

It seems that my military guys wont go eat or drink until they absolutely have to before death.

Now this wouldnt be a problem however the happiness of the military plummets and everyone starts a mini military tantrum spiral. I cant keep a military long enough for proper training without them going beserk and killing each other. (This actually happened)

Im trying as early as I can to start a military as my last fort of 75 was absolutly decimated by an ambush of 7. (Hell, I even drafted my whole fort and they only managed to take down three)

So because I start so early I dont have access to water skins and backpacks.

Is there a way to make it so they dont wait to the last possible moment to eat or drink?

One more, Ive been messing around with the military schedule, and I cant find an option to go off duty. It seems like Having a dwarf have standard off time would do wonders for his happiness, yet I haven't found a way to do so.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2010, 05:40:04 am »

Change the orders.  Currently your min size is at 10.  So unless they have 10 people training, EVERYONE trains.  Lower that to 2-3 less than your amount in your squad and you should be golden.  Allows 2-3 people to be out eating, sleeping, and drinking at one time.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2010, 11:06:11 am »

Before the upgrade, Space was the default "Back to previous screen" button. Now it's Escape, which given how often we go up/down menus, sucks.

To put it back to Space, I used the keymap command.
My interface.txt now has:
[LEAVESCREEN:SPACE]
[LEAVESCREEN_ALL:SHIFT+SPACE]

(replaces whatever it used to say)

Problem:
In the "Manager" screen, when I try to type (eg) wooden door, as I press SPACE the menu level backs out.
What do I need to change here please?
I want to use space to go back through menus (ie, "instead of escape"), BUT I want to be able to use SPACE as a SPACE BAR when I type a string.
Edit: I already looked at every entry in interface.txt that mentions "manage"

I'd also like to know if there is a workaround for this. Escape is really an awkward key to hit for exiting menus... I'm too used to space now. Yet I'd really like to be able to type in the entire name of an item for a production order which has more than one word to it.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2010, 11:22:09 am »

I've trawled through a bunch of threads but not found anything on this...

Is there any way, when building a lock gate or wall to ensure that the dwarf who builds it ends up on the right side of it?  Bored of building them then having to remove them (or put levers on them all) just because of idiocy  ;D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2010, 11:40:04 am »

I've trawled through a bunch of threads but not found anything on this...

Is there any way, when building a lock gate or wall to ensure that the dwarf who builds it ends up on the right side of it?  Bored of building them then having to remove them (or put levers on them all) just because of idiocy  ;D
Designate a wall to be built where you don't want the dwarf to stand, then suspend its construction.  Dwarves won't stand where something is designated to be constructed when building.  Once your wall or floodgate is installed, cancel the construction of the suspended wall.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2010, 11:47:33 am »

So simple  ;D

Thanks

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2010, 12:08:32 pm »

Had a miner go fell last night, he made an uber bauxite and iron mug and ended up with 17 in stonecrafting.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2010, 04:43:57 pm »

Before the upgrade, Space was the default "Back to previous screen" button. Now it's Escape, which given how often we go up/down menus, sucks.

To put it back to Space, I used the keymap command.
My interface.txt now has:
[LEAVESCREEN:SPACE]
[LEAVESCREEN_ALL:SHIFT+SPACE]

(replaces whatever it used to say)

Problem:
In the "Manager" screen, when I try to type (eg) wooden door, as I press SPACE the menu level backs out.
What do I need to change here please?
I want to use space to go back through menus (ie, "instead of escape"), BUT I want to be able to use SPACE as a SPACE BAR when I type a string.
Edit: I already looked at every entry in interface.txt that mentions "manage"

I'd also like to know if there is a workaround for this. Escape is really an awkward key to hit for exiting menus... I'm too used to space now. Yet I'd really like to be able to type in the entire name of an item for a production order which has more than one word to it.
Change to Alt+Space.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2010, 04:59:17 pm »

Is there any way to turn off "warm stone detected" digging cancelation. i remember their used to be and when Im trying to make a room above the magma sea its a real pain in the ass.

I seem to remember it being an option in the last version but cant find anything in init. now.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 13, 2010, 09:04:14 pm »

What materials are magma safe in 2010?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 1178