Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122659 times)

amz181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2010, 12:41:53 pm »

Umm farm help.

Im trying to make an underground farm, but i needed mud, so i tunnelled into a lake and let it flow into where i wanted my farm. Now i have a flooded room, so how do i get rid of the water? Or is there an easier way to get muddy floor?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:31 pm »

well there's two ways.  one is to find a caravern with a pre-muddied floor and use it, or to remove the floor above the farm (make sure not to open it to outside) then set the area above it as a pond, and your dwarves will throw water on it, make sure to remove the pond anfter it's couvered in 1/7 water!
Nom nom nom

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2010, 01:37:31 pm »

I don't think Coke can be stockpiled.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:53 pm »

coke stockpiles under bars/blocks group.
Nom nom nom

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:15 pm »

It's been mid spring for ages in my fort and I'm not sure if it's an fps thing because my dorfs are running around pretty quickly.
Anyone else stuck in time?
Seriously, it's been 32nd felsite for about two days now.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:20 pm »

It's been mid spring for ages in my fort and I'm not sure if it's an fps thing because my dorfs are running around pretty quickly.
Anyone else stuck in time?
Seriously, it's been 32nd felsite for about two days now.

Has to be a bug - there's only 28 days per month. Can't help you further, though, sorry.

amz181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:30 pm »

well there's two ways.  one is to find a caravern with a pre-muddied floor and use it, or to remove the floor above the farm (make sure not to open it to outside) then set the area above it as a pond, and your dwarves will throw water on it, make sure to remove the pond anfter it's couvered in 1/7 water!

Thanks. If i... went ahead and accidently channeled some water into my cave, which is now flooding most of my fortress, what could i do? Is there any sort of sponge? Or a plug :P?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »

channel out around a section of nautural wall above the hole, and if done right, should cave-in and block the leak.
Nom nom nom

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2010, 02:45:01 pm »

Not to badger anyone, but I'm just a tad worried in case my question was lost at the end of that page. Forgive me if this is irritating in any way, but I shall ask again.

I find myself to be rather confused on the matter of the nobility, as the wiki states that all positions can be assigned by the player, but as I recall in 40d#, the king and whatnot would be the king of the civilisation in the legends. Could someone help me with this? Thank you.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2010, 03:19:39 pm »

huh someone edited the wiki incorrectly then, cause there's alot of positions that can be assigned, but dungeon master, count, king, baron, are all still immigrated and permanent. (unless magma is applied.)
Nom nom nom

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2010, 03:26:33 pm »

huh someone edited the wiki incorrectly then, cause there's alot of positions that can be assigned, but dungeon master, count, king, baron, are all still immigrated and permanent. (unless magma is applied.)

So what positions can be applied? I'm just trying to determine which civilisation I start with, and it helps if I know and like the pre-set nobles before I embark.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:49:33 pm by Owlbread »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »

I asked two questions yesterday and they were not answered.  :(

First one:
How do you butcher a dead animal?

I have a skeleton on the refuse pile, and a dwarf who'll go insane if he can't get bones soon, but whenever I tell my butcher to butcher a dead animal he claims there aren't any.

Second one:
I tried to channel a moat. Eventually I realized that to get a real moat I also needed to remove the ramps channeling makes, so most of my moat is now a ditch. But there are also about 20 squares of ramp filled with water.

I assume this is fine because the AI doesn't pathfind through water, and I'm only in trouble if an intruder falls into the moat, because he could climb out into my fortress. Am I right about that?

Nick

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »

I think the animal has to be a full corpse, skeletons aren't any good. Someone else may have more insight though, I've only butchered large live animals, so far.

I think you'll be safe against some things, but it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if some enemies existed that would path through water without blinking, so it's probably not ideal. Also, you're right that if they're knocked in they might come inward rather than go outward, which is another good reason to fix it.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2010, 03:41:22 pm »

Eh, does anyone know what it means when a square on the border at the top left hand side of the screen shows a red capital C? And does it in fact mean anything?

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2010, 03:42:37 pm »

Means you have [r]eports. Combat reports, in this case.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 1178