Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122601 times)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2010, 03:30:06 pm »

When making up a uniform, do you need to assign boots and gauntlets twice?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2010, 04:16:37 pm »

When making up a uniform, do you need to assign boots and gauntlets twice?
I don't think so. I've only got it set once and all my archers have got their stuff on.

Also, can somebody tell me if I leave my guys "off duty" with no other duties turned on, and with quivers, bolts, and crossbows. Will they train with them?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2010, 04:41:31 pm »

How do you butcher a dead animal?

I have a skeleton on the refuse pile, and a dwarf who'll go insane if he can't get bones soon, but whenever I tell my butcher to butcher a dead animal he claims there aren't any.

Nick

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2010, 05:18:26 pm »

question for somebody with a suicide wish:

EDIT: whoops, my bad jarathor, fixed it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and fellow that was asking about the caves: They've got the same symbol on the map as your basic mined rock, the little solid circle-thingy. You can actually set them to display via world-gen options, at least for fortress mode.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2010, 05:45:08 pm »

Has anyone managed to get dwarves to make charcoal at a wood furnace? I have two dwarves with furnace operating labor but they aren't doing anything about it. I can't find a specific wood burning labor to turn on.

On a related note, I can't do anything at my smelter. I have both lignite and bituminous coal accessible on my map but I still can't get any jobs from my smelter.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2010, 05:48:04 pm »

It also took my dwarves some time until one finally made some charcoal. Just set up a buch of dwarfs with the "Furnace Operating" labor enabled and wait till someone produces one bar, once you've got your first fuel you can start making coke out of lignite and bituminous coal.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2010, 05:57:40 pm »

You have to enable Woodburning for dwarves to make charcoal. It's hiding with the farming labors.

It took me 20 minutes, and several trips to the wiki to figure that out.

Nick

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2010, 06:04:30 pm »

Has anyone managed to get dwarves to make charcoal at a wood furnace? I have two dwarves with furnace operating labor but they aren't doing anything about it. I can't find a specific wood burning labor to turn on.

On a related note, I can't do anything at my smelter. I have both lignite and bituminous coal accessible on my map but I still can't get any jobs from my smelter.
aye it's in the wiki, and you need a starter peice of charcoal to start making coke.
Nom nom nom

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »

To make charcoal all you need is a wood furnace, a log, and a dwarf with wood burning (not furnace operating) enabled. I know this because I actually did it.

To make coke you may need starter charcoal, but it is simply not necessary for charcoal.

Nick

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2010, 06:32:26 pm »

What does the little green symbol next to weapons and armour mean in the military equipment page? (Press m then e) I'm not sure if it means can't get the equipment, getting the equipment, or is using the equipment...

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2010, 06:35:41 pm »

I think it means they're using it already. Not 100% though, my dwarves were using things fine, then I started to play around with it, some listened, some didn't, some did some but not all of what I said. It's kind of hard to tell what stuff means when that's happening.

yeznik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »

I'm also wondering how you're supposed to butcher animals now. I've got scores of fresh corpses and no way to grind their meaty goodness into a form suitable for dwarven consumption.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:40 pm »

To make charcoal all you need is a wood furnace, a log, and a dwarf with wood burning (not furnace operating) enabled. I know this because I actually did it.
Problem is that I can't locate wood burning to turn on in the new version. Unless I just overlooked it.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2010, 07:38:50 pm »

Problem is that I can't locate wood burning to turn on in the new version. Unless I just overlooked it.
Wood burning is a farming task now.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:23 pm »

Maybe toady is trying to force us to use forms of attack OTHER than massive fortifications, traps, and marksdwarves lining fortified kill zones...
He won't achieve this by making the millitary training, command & control system be more complicated - in themselves - than most games are in entirety.

ie, currently, it's more complicated just to equip, train, & command a squad of 10 dwarfs - let alone build, feed & manage a fort - than it is to play say Civ 3.

If running an army is too complicated, people will use magma flooding, controlled access via atom smashers, etc, ever MORE not LESS.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 1178