Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116680 times)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9975 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:17 am »

Channel above the pump, put the gears above the pump instead of on the side.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

fenrirfenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9976 on: March 24, 2011, 01:08:57 am »

So I don't seem to ever get any trade envoys, except for the dwarves. I've started several fortresses in several different worlds and watched the seasons tick by without an elf or human stepping foot onto the screen. When I'm looking through the starting locations it's got all four races shown on the neighbors screen, but in game the civilizations screen only shows the dwarf nation I'm from and sometimes the underground civilizations like slugmen and crap.

Am I just not waiting long enough to the other races to show up? Or is there some kind of bug where nobody (aside from the dwarves) likes my fortress and doesn't show up?

I remember the elves showing up in the first spring, but that hasn't happened since I started playing again.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:11:14 am by fenrirfenix »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9977 on: March 24, 2011, 06:49:41 am »

The elves should show up the first spring (a year from the start) and then the humans usually show up once the summer rolls around. I know the dwarven caravan don't show up if the parent civilization is dead. Maybe it's the same for the elves and humans (although I've never seen it happen myself)? Not sure how to check that with a game in progress though.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9978 on: March 24, 2011, 07:49:12 am »

I didn't even know that pump could get jammed. If I installed a floor grate on the bottom most pump will that avoid the problem?

Pumps cannot be jammed by creatures or objects.  They simply don't pick up anything but water.

Do gear assemblies transfer power to another gear assembly directly under them? Mine don't seem to be doing that.

Yes, they do, but only if there's no floor separating the two gear assemblies.  Usually this means building the lower one, then building the upper one on top of it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9979 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:12 am »

How do you get marksdwarves to pick up bolts? I have 4 sitting over the goblins  starting down at them with no bolts. Neither being on or off duty seems to get them to do so.

EDIT: I do have bolts and quivers.

(m) (f) to check whether bolts have been assigned to the squad in question.  Note that when the game assigns bolts, it doesn't care where they are.  Whatever's assigned is what they're supposed to use.  Your dwarves are so duty-bound that they will not pick up bolts that are lying on the ground at their feet with a "USE ME" sticker on them.  Instead, they will only grab the bolts that they have been assigned, even if those are 30 Z levels away.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9980 on: March 24, 2011, 09:04:55 am »

can i set my military to go all pow on caged invaders and kill them while they're still caged, or do i need to release them to kill em?

Strangely, you can tell your dwarves to strip a caged prisoner of all his clothing, weapons, and armor; you can attempt to tame a caged animal (species-dependent); you can even take away the seeds left over by taming an animal with fruit; but you cannot kill a caged creature directly.  You have to take it out of the cage first.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: March 24, 2011, 09:31:48 am »

Is it normal that world generation goes at 1 FPS/ 1 year per second

I remember it was faster some months ago
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:45 am »

that's faster than mine  :P I get 1 year every minute  :-X
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9983 on: March 24, 2011, 11:34:17 am »

Also if my Duke dies without any offspring can the title be passed to a brother/sister?
They're 'succession by heir', which means eldest surviving child. In theory you should get a new Duke or Duchess if your original had any kids, but I don't know.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9984 on: March 24, 2011, 12:44:44 pm »

Just here to say 'hi' to this thread on Page Number Of The Beast.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: March 24, 2011, 12:45:04 pm »

200?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9986 on: March 24, 2011, 01:53:34 pm »

How large are your worlds and how long are you running them?

A small world for 250 years is instantaneous for me, a large world for 1k years is good until about year 300 where it slows down to 0-1 FPS. I think it has to do with the caravan arc keeping track of more stuff, it'll probably get slower as more is added.

Try genning smaller worlds, shorter periods, or less civilizations.

It is a lot slower though, it used to take me 13 minutes to gen a large world now it takes well over 30. I had to downsize to a medium region :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9987 on: March 24, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »

i gen medium, loads of civs, 5 year history, lots of spots. It takes about 1 hour.

Well then again I'm on a pentium III 800 MGz/pentium 4 1.7 GGz processor, so yeah.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9988 on: March 24, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »

is there a way (with mods) to check WHAT metals are on embark areas, before actually embarking -.-;; i started a new fort and i cant seem to find any iron ores, just stupid copper >.>

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9989 on: March 24, 2011, 02:16:26 pm »

is there a way (with mods) to check WHAT metals are on embark areas, before actually embarking -.-;; i started a new fort and i cant seem to find any iron ores, just stupid copper >.>
nope.
except to use an older version.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 1178