Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116723 times)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9960 on: March 23, 2011, 09:24:44 pm »

-snip-

The topmost one should obviously have some sort of controllable door (if you want to use it for flooding, that is), and maybe it's helpful for the other ones to be easily accesible, too. Something like a fish jamming the pump...do fish get pumped, too?

-snip-

I didn't even know that pump could get jammed. If I installed a floor grate on the bottom most pump will that avoid the problem?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9961 on: March 23, 2011, 09:32:16 pm »

Yes to the floor gate.

No, the doors/floodgates are entirely dependent on the lever. If the lever is on the door is open, if it's off the door is closed. If the door is closed and the lever is open and you link them up and pull the lever, the door will remain closed and vice versa.

The door is placed I think because of the process of digging; if you use a wall then your dwarves will more than likely be stuck by dug out channels. That area that would be a wall but is a door is dug out so your dwarf can reach the access stairs after digging the channel, and the door is placed so water can't get by when you start pumping and because it's easier to install/uninstall compared to building a wall.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:33:49 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: March 23, 2011, 09:34:58 pm »

Heya, sorry. I hope this isn't bad etiquette, but I posted a question a page or so ago, and I don't think anyone saw it, so I'll just ask again. Sorry if someone was planning on getting around to it!

I've got one squad set up on all year training with 3 dwarves in it, but the captain refuses to train, even though the other two are training (albeit infrequently)

I've set them to the correct schedule and set each individual month of their training regimen to two dwarves minimum (although I tried 3 minimum and it didn't make a difference, the captain is still not taking part)

I've definitely not missed a training session, because the Captain's combat skills are all rusty, and the Captain definitely has an axe and a shield, which are what I've set the squad to train with...

Is there something I'm missing?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: March 23, 2011, 09:36:22 pm »

Heya, sorry. I hope this isn't bad etiquette, but I posted a question a page or so ago, and I don't think anyone saw it, so I'll just ask again. Sorry if someone was planning on getting around to it!

I've got one squad set up on all year training with 3 dwarves in it, but the captain refuses to train, even though the other two are training (albeit infrequently)

I've set them to the correct schedule and set each individual month of their training regimen to two dwarves minimum (although I tried 3 minimum and it didn't make a difference, the captain is still not taking part)

I've definitely not missed a training session, because the Captain's combat skills are all rusty, and the Captain definitely has an axe and a shield, which are what I've set the squad to train with...

Check his civilian jobs, and take a look at his personality. Also, what is he doing in the jobs screen during all the time he isn't training?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9964 on: March 23, 2011, 09:46:44 pm »

Not sure if you missed it or it didn't help you:

Quote from: Tolkafox
You don't have to mess with the squad minimum, and technically don't have to mess with schedules at all unless you want them to patrol an area or want them doing civilian work.
From my understanding, setting the minimum to 4 in a 5 man group is essentially saying that 4 of them have to train while the other will choose his civilian duties/eating/drinking/sleeping over military training. They will still eat/sleep/drink even if the minimum is 5 in a 5 man group, they just won't do civilian jobs.

Emphasis that if you don't the minimum members count at 10 (or generally lower than the members in the squad) they'll tend to favor civilian jobs over military ones.

Also, I got on here to ask my bloody question but forgot about it :/
In the orders screen, why does the auto kitchen never change? If I hit 'k' once will it disallow render fat jobs, and if I hit it twice will it allow render fat jobs?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:49:53 pm by tolkafox »

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: March 23, 2011, 09:52:44 pm »

Sorry, I did miss that. I'm not sure how! >_<

Anyway, I just reset the squads completely, and tried listing a sqaud minimum of 3 for training (i.e. the number of dwarves in the squad) and it seems to have worked. Thanks for the help, and sorry again that I missed the response!

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: March 23, 2011, 09:54:06 pm »

How are the nobility ranks inherited? For example if my Duke dies does the eldest child inherit the title or does it go by eldest surviving son or daughter. Also if my Duke dies without any offspring can the title be passed to a brother/sister?

ghiacciato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: March 23, 2011, 09:55:31 pm »

I didn't even know that pump could get jammed. If I installed a floor grate on the bottom most pump will that avoid the problem?

I don't know if pumps can get jammed, I just thought what might happen...hence my question if creatures in the water get pumped, and if so, if that can harm the pump somehow?

No, the doors/floodgates are entirely dependent on the lever. If the lever is on the door is open, if it's off the door is closed. If the door is closed and the lever is open and you link them up and pull the lever, the door will remain closed and vice versa.

Come on, people built calculators in DF, and you're telling me that something as simple as that isn't possible? :P

Seriously, is there no NOT or negating device to make something like that possible?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: March 23, 2011, 10:00:18 pm »

Do gear assemblies transfer power to another gear assembly directly under them? Mine don't seem to be doing that.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9969 on: March 23, 2011, 10:04:33 pm »

Do gear assemblies transfer power to another gear assembly directly under them? Mine don't seem to be doing that.

I'm sure they need an axle in between. No they don't, is there enough power to operate them and are they connected directly above/below each other with a channel inbetween?

You can build an airlock with a bridge and a floodgate/door, but that's about it. Bridge is open when the lever is on, and the floodgate/door is closed when the lever is on.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:06:17 pm by tolkafox »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: March 23, 2011, 10:47:44 pm »

It's channeled, I think, yes. There's nothing in the shaft, just a gear on top of another gear. I'll give the extra power a try...
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9971 on: March 23, 2011, 11:13:26 pm »

If you -q- over the power source it should tell you how much power is produced and how much power is required.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: March 23, 2011, 11:18:13 pm »

Seriously, is there no NOT or negating device to make something like that possible?

There is, if you have an infinite water source and a bit of engineer in you. Simply have a pressure plate that activates on 0-1 water between a floodgate  and a one-tile raising bridge .Fill the hallway on the floodgate end with water (drawing from an infinite source like a river or aquifer), and have a sufficient space for water to drain on the other side. Like so:

==========
======+++=
≈≈≈X^+++=
======+++=
==========

= wall
+ floor
X floodgate
bridge
^ pressure plate
water

Link the lever (in this case, your reservoir lever) to the green stuff and the thing you want to invert the signal for to the pressure plate.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:32 pm »

How do you get marksdwarves to pick up bolts? I have 4 sitting over the goblins  starting down at them with no bolts. Neither being on or off duty seems to get them to do so.

EDIT: I do have bolts and quivers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:31:00 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9974 on: March 23, 2011, 11:33:08 pm »

Damn. You have to put gear assemblies on either side of a dwarven water reactor, but water spills out from there and there's no room for walls. Is there a way to keep them from leaking?

Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 1178