Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116058 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9630 on: March 12, 2011, 04:49:46 pm »

Hives are under the "tools" stockpile setting. Not sure about honeycomb.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: March 12, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »

Obsidian isn't on the Stones list that I can get to from the fortress status (z) menu. I remember hearing that it had to be added manually. Can anyone confirm this and/or tell me how to add it?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: March 12, 2011, 07:12:54 pm »

What would be an effective way to catch, say, a dragon, and get a breeding pair?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9633 on: March 12, 2011, 07:14:57 pm »

The only way to catch a dragon is to make your fortress large enough and rich enough to attract a dragon, and then wait till one shows up.  This may take a while.  Once they do, you can use a cage trap to catch them.

Even so, you'll need the no exotics hack to tame the dragon, and even then I don't know that they'll actually breed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: March 12, 2011, 07:36:06 pm »

Obsidian isn't on the Stones list that I can get to from the fortress status (z) menu. I remember hearing that it had to be added manually. Can anyone confirm this and/or tell me how to add it?

Yeah, obsidian is bugged right now. If it comprises a layer stone, then it is allowed. If not, then not.

A workaround can be found here, the meat of which I've extracted for your benefit.

To allow obsidian to be listed, you have to remove its "max edge" tag from the raws. You can add it back after switching, and the game will remember its "cannot use" status. 157.82.24.21 08:01, 16 April 2010 (UTC)

Confirmed. I'm using mayday edition v0.31.08, and it worked like you described (thanks!). To clarify, the tag is [MAX_EDGE:20000] under [INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN] in the file data\save\regionX\raw\objects\inorganic_stone_layer.txt

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: March 12, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »

Thanks monk12, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Obsidian farming ahoy!
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: March 12, 2011, 08:39:09 pm »

Here's a question: Does anyone know exactly what causes the "complained of lack of well" thought?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: March 12, 2011, 09:42:58 pm »

I think it means that they drank non-well water but that's anecdotal.
Memento Mori

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: March 13, 2011, 12:22:11 am »

Spoilers ahoy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9639 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:36 am »

Or has it always been this way and I just kept getting lucky?

Pretty much this.

alec1988

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: March 13, 2011, 08:45:52 am »

some of my people are flashing blue for some reason. i checked there status and everything is normal. i have plenty of beer and there are alot of lakes so im not sure if they are thirsty or what. also i read on a guide that if u trade elfs wood they get mad and will come back and attack you. i have a draw bridge so when they come and i put it up, will the elfs leave eventually, or will i have to send my war dogs?

EDIT: also my bookkeeper seems to refuse all the chairs i give him for a office. any help?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:48:11 am by alec1988 »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: March 13, 2011, 08:52:38 am »

some of my people are flashing blue for some reason. i checked there status and everything is normal. i have plenty of beer and there are alot of lakes so im not sure if they are thirsty or what.

If they are thirsty, it will show up on the "wounds" screen.  (v) -> (w)

EDIT: also my bookkeeper seems to refuse all the chairs i give him for a office. any help?

You must build the chair as a piece of furniture, somewhere underground.  (b) -> (c)

Then declare it to be an office, and assign that office to the bookkeeper.  (q) -> (r) -> (a), select the bookkeeper
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: March 13, 2011, 10:25:40 am »

some of my people are flashing blue for some reason. i checked there status and everything is normal. i have plenty of beer and there are alot of lakes so im not sure if they are thirsty or what. also i read on a guide that if u trade elfs wood they get mad and will come back and attack you. i have a draw bridge so when they come and i put it up, will the elfs leave eventually, or will i have to send my war dogs?

They're flashing blue because they're master craftsdwarves. They probably had strange moods.

Once you've created a study from a chair and assigned it to a bookkeeper, he will occasionally turn up and account on it. But, you will have to adjust the bookkeeping settings. On the nobles screen, highlight the assigned bookkeeper and press s to adjust his settings. Increase the accuracy from the minimum (I recommend the maximum) and he will spend much of his time counting, on the seat you designated.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: March 13, 2011, 11:39:58 am »

I'm setting up my magma shops above the magma under my fort.
It is slow and annoying to have the message "designation canceled, warm stone found" EVERY SINGLE TILE that I reveal. Either that or I manually assign the digging to take place one square a a time. Is there a way to stop this tomfoolery?
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: March 13, 2011, 11:45:58 am »

I'm setting up my magma shops above the magma under my fort.
It is slow and annoying to have the message "designation canceled, warm stone found" EVERY SINGLE TILE that I reveal. Either that or I manually assign the digging to take place one square a a time. Is there a way to stop this tomfoolery?
go to DF folder>data>init>announcements and turn it off there (forgot exactly what tag it is, it's easy to figure out though)
it won't let it stop being cancelled though. that may be fixed in a next version.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 1178