Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116040 times)

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9615 on: March 12, 2011, 02:17:43 am »

Hey, I have a bunch of livestock that were too dumb to stay outside with all the grass, and came inside to the barren meeting hall. I sent them outside into a pasture, but three still died. What gives?
Died before they hit the "I've eaten enough to not die" threshold, probably.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: March 12, 2011, 02:18:09 am »

What animals were they?
If they were large animals, they may not have been able to eat fast enough to not starve to death.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: March 12, 2011, 02:18:51 am »

A Ram, an Ewe and a Water Buffalo.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: March 12, 2011, 06:48:14 am »

How does mineral placement work? As in, are certain minerals likely to be close to each other? I know that certain ores and minerals will only spawn on specific layers, but for example, if I hit bauxite, is there likely to be lignite nearby? (Completely random example, but you get what I mean, I hope)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: March 12, 2011, 12:16:09 pm »

A Ram, an Ewe and a Water Buffalo.

Water Buffalo and Musk Oxen eat a huge amount of grass (from my games, a pair of either will strip bare a 10x10 pasture in no time) which is why I usually slaughter these on arrival. Rabbits or swine are better for limited pasture space I think.

Later on when we have hay/slop/other methods to feed animals, the bigger livestock should be easier to keep alive.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: March 12, 2011, 12:23:22 pm »

Go to the Health screen and look and see if any of your animals are hungry or starving.  If they are, just butcher them.  Most of the larger ones can be bought off of caravans anyway.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:31 pm »

This questions probably already been answered, but when I search for it I come up empty. Are obsidian short swords back?
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: March 12, 2011, 01:40:58 pm »

Did they ever leave?
If you mean the bug where obsidian swords were called "wooden short swords", then yes, that bug was fixed. (Note thit this was apparently only a naming problem, the swords still had the effectiveness of obsidian.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: March 12, 2011, 01:42:50 pm »

Note that they still don't work that great against anything but skin.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: March 12, 2011, 03:19:37 pm »

Did they ever leave?
If you mean the bug where obsidian swords were called "wooden short swords", then yes, that bug was fixed. (Note thit this was apparently only a naming problem, the swords still had the effectiveness of obsidian.)

Note that they still don't work that great against anything but skin.

Sorry for my blatant stupidity. :P

I've just never took a whack at making obsidian short swords, and when I heard they were glitched, I decided not to even try. Good to know they aren't very good, otherwise I would feel silly pumping out all of my steel swords. Were they better back in the day? (As in, Boatmurdered days?)
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: March 12, 2011, 03:25:31 pm »

Back in the days of the flat percentage for weapon and armour effectiveness, they were hardcoded to 133 -- the same as steel.
This continued until 40d, so not that long ago.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: March 12, 2011, 03:44:04 pm »

I'm not convinced all stone swords are useless; have people experimented with, for example, native gold (assuming the ability to make native gold stone swords wasn't just a bug or something that stemmed me upgrading my fortress across multiple versions)?  At the very least,the slade sword I made via the mining exploit seemed just as effective as steel etc.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: March 12, 2011, 03:46:35 pm »

I'm not convinced all stone swords are useless; have people experimented with, for example, native gold (assuming the ability to make native gold stone swords wasn't just a bug or something that stemmed me upgrading my fortress across multiple versions)?  At the very least,the slade sword I made via the mining exploit seemed just as effective as steel etc.
what mining exploit?
also: yeah probably that :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: March 12, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

what mining exploit?
[/quote]Somewhere along the line it was possible to mine slade ore by digging stairs up, from underneath, at least if it was unexposed.  Possibly ramps, too, although I never tried that.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: March 12, 2011, 04:14:40 pm »

So I'm trying to start up a beekeeping industry. And I want to make a stockpile for honeycombs.

But I can't find them in the stockpile settings thingy. halp?

also, hives. ????
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:29:20 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 1178