Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117148 times)

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #960 on: June 07, 2010, 07:51:04 pm »

How do I find the seed for a world I have already generated. I want to regenerated with the hopes that dwarves wont die out this time. O and im playing 0.31.05 if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:00:04 pm by Urist the Dwarven Pirate »
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 07, 2010, 08:55:06 pm »

How do I find the seed for a world I have already generated. I want to regenerated with the hopes that dwarves wont die out this time. O and im playing 0.31.05 if that makes any difference.

if you know what year the dwarves died out, you can change the end-date to before that time.
also - in the legends screen, there is an o(p)tion to export worldgen info and map.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 07, 2010, 09:01:23 pm »

if you know what year the dwarves died out, you can change the end-date to before that time.
also - in the legends screen, there is an o(p)tion to export worldgen info and map.

Darn. Every time i go to export the worldgen info DF crashes on me.
Thanks for the info though.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:26 pm »

Just checking, but - there is also an option to export other kinds of maps... those take FOREVER (and are crash-y). So just make sure you didn't accidentally try to export heightmaps or something.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 07, 2010, 09:11:09 pm »

Just checking, but - there is also an option to export other kinds of maps... those take FOREVER (and are crash-y). So just make sure you didn't accidentally try to export heightmaps or something.

Known (and new) bug. Was discovered within like 15 minutes of the .05 release (check the work-in-progress thread's first and/or second page). Exporting worldgen information crashes after both worldgen itself and when you try to do it in legends screen.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 08, 2010, 02:37:50 am »

I went to my butchery and I noticed I can't just tell the butcher to kill one of my animals and use that-it has to be dead already. How can I kill things so that they may be used?

Yes, I know it's blasphemous, but I'd prefer a practical solution over a dwarfy one. I'm not that good at the game yet.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 08, 2010, 03:11:33 am »

I went to my butchery and I noticed I can't just tell the butcher to kill one of my animals and use that-it has to be dead already. How can I kill things so that they may be used?

Yes, I know it's blasphemous, but I'd prefer a practical solution over a dwarfy one. I'm not that good at the game yet.
You can use living tame animals at the butchers, you have to press "z" select "animals" and then highlight the animal you want butchered and press "b" after that a butcher should take it and make food out of it.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 08, 2010, 03:52:42 am »

You can use living tame animals at the butchers, you have to press "z" select "animals" and then highlight the animal you want butchered and press "b" after that a butcher should take it and make food out of it.

Really? Thanks! I have a dwarf that wants tanned hides for his artifact, and I don't have any. You just saved me one coffin and a lot of sad dwarves.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:55 pm »

My last goblin siege was mounted, and a lot of their mounts ended up caged. I thought all would have to die in the arena, but they are all tameable from the kennels.

If I tame them will they actually be tame, or will they remain hostile?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 08, 2010, 08:05:59 pm »

My last goblin siege was mounted, and a lot of their mounts ended up caged. I thought all would have to die in the arena, but they are all tameable from the kennels.

Did they kill anyone?
[/quote]

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 08, 2010, 08:17:42 pm »

In 40d I believe creatures would only attack your dwarves while tame, if they had killed a dwarf before being tamed.

But then again I managed to tame a GCS that stayed friendly despite eating a few dwarves before I managed to capture it.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:04 am »

What would cause my dwarves to stop putting food/drink/seeds into food stockpiles?

Starting maybe a season ago, crops began building up in the fields.  If I brew anything, the seeds accumulate in the still.  Ditto for making any meals.  I buy food from caravans, and my dwarves leave it sitting in the trade depot.  They've also left random dropped bits of food around the fortress.

They still consume existing food from the stockpiles, so it's not a pathing or burrows issue.  I've checked that nothing is forbidden, even going through my entire stocks menu a panel at a time.  I've made sure all dwarves can harvest (but that's *definitely* not it, because it affects meat as well).  I've tried deleting the stockpiles, waiting a while, and creating them elsewhere, even directly in the meeting hall where all the dwarves hang out.  I've tried making three separate stockpiles for food, drink, and seeds, and one big stockpile.  I have lots of empty barrels and bags available.  The stockpiles have lots of empty room in them.  I've deconstructed all my farm workshops and then rebuilt them.  Nothing works.

I don't think the dwarves will starve, because (I assume) they can still pick and eat directly from the fields, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something blindingly obvious here.  Otherwise this is going to be an interesting game-play wrinkle in the history of Mansionmurdered the glacier fortress.  "We eat raw mushrooms from the caves and like our meat dripping with blood from the butcher's shop!" 

Edit: Duh! Fixed. I walked away, then had blindingly-obvious thought "maybe I misclicked in Dwarf Therapist and turned off food-hauling for everyone". Came back, fired up the game. Nope, that wasn't it. But then I checked the mass-orders "o" menu, and saw that I had set "Dwarves Ignore Food" - which was when I was desperately trying to stop my civilians heading out onto the glacier to pick up bits of half-dead Blizzardman.  Turned that back on, and my fortress was FILLED with dorfs scurrying to fill food stockpiles, left right and center :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:27:57 am by SpacemanSpiff »

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 09, 2010, 12:12:46 am »

Look for the "gamelog.txt" file in your Dwarf Fortress directory.  Every time you generate a world it dumps the parameters in here (along with every other game announcement message, so the file can get pretty big).  Here's what it wrote for my last world:

Generating world using parameter set Medium Savage Evil Region 100 Years
 Seed: 64818544
 History Seed: 911289808
 Name Seed: 3518845984
 Creature Seed: 411813824

Of course, if you've generated a bunch of worlds since then, you'll have to count carefully backwards to work out which was which :)

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 09, 2010, 02:28:30 am »

Currently using the latest version. I've been trying to cheat in the game (I know) such as by making my dwarves go faster and changing the color of certain stones, etc. Thing is, it's not changing anything. I remember in past versions I could go into the raw, change stuff around, get free flux, etc, even without making a new map so the changes can take place. What's the deal?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:36 am »

the raws for a specific save are in the save folder now.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 1178