Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115475 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9375 on: March 03, 2011, 02:18:59 pm »

Go to your Dwarf Fortress install directory.  Open the 'raw' folder, then the 'objects' folder within that.  Open the file 'entity_default.txt'

Scroll down a little bit until you see the lines:

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]

Change this to read:

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

Just below that you'll see the line:

[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN]

Change this to read:

[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]

That last one might not actually be required, but you might as well change it as well.

Save the file.  Do not save a backup or altered copy of the file in the same directory, this will cause many bad things to happen if you do.

Now create a new world.  This change can't be applied to an existing world, you need to make a new world from scratch for this change to apply.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

lotopius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: March 03, 2011, 02:42:13 pm »

How do I designate a channel zone so that several miners will dig out a chunk of rock with water at the bottom (breaching an aquifer via cave-in) withought caveing-in each other, and creating pits they cannot get out of?
It doesn't seem to work on a last in first out basis, and from what I understood it's more due to luck than anything else, but is there a trick to it? If not is Toady planning to implement something ike that?

Same thing with buildings; I want to designate a constructed floor for deconstruction, but each time, the dwarf trapped himself. I tried placing a building on that spot and suspending the construction to no avail, the dwarf merrily stands on the spot to deconstruct. Traffic designations do not work either. How do I get it to deconstruct from the right side?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: March 03, 2011, 02:43:27 pm »

How much do you guys (=more experienced dorf managers) tolerate idlers? I'm experiencing a population boom and I'm having a hard time making up jobs for the dwarves, much less planning for expansion that's not at all needed (I have plenty of room, lots of booze and almost too much food). I've also drafted myself a military that hasn't done anything except for gang-sodomizing foxes. Should I just ease up and let the dwarves slack off or make up jobs for everyone?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9378 on: March 03, 2011, 02:49:32 pm »

The left side, actually. If you are assigning them all at once then this would obviously negate the LIFO, and if you are building from only one anchor you usually have no other option than to designate them all at once or go one at a time.

The order of construction is last one designated gets built first (unless the order to build is already tasked), then the side the dwarf will construct from goes west, east, north, south, northwest, southwest, northeast, southeast. Suspending construction also helps.

As for channeling, it follows the west, east, north, etc but if you can't follow this order it's usually best assigning one line of channels at a time to prevent mishaps.

Don't think of idling dwarves as slackers, instead think of them as workers that are at your command. Put them in a militia (squads of two work best), put them as masons and have them make blocks/walls/megaconstructions, put them all as farmers and make enough food to last your fortress through an apocalypse, and anything else you can think of doing with them. At the least, but them all in a squad and send them at the next goblin wave if you think they're that useless. I usually have 20 idlers at top, they keep the items moving from workshop-stockpile.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:53:39 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: March 03, 2011, 03:12:33 pm »

How do I designate a channel zone so that several miners will dig out a chunk of rock with water at the bottom (breaching an aquifer via cave-in) withought caveing-in each other, and creating pits they cannot get out of?
It doesn't seem to work on a last in first out basis, and from what I understood it's more due to luck than anything else, but is there a trick to it? If not is Toady planning to implement something ike that?

Same thing with buildings; I want to designate a constructed floor for deconstruction, but each time, the dwarf trapped himself. I tried placing a building on that spot and suspending the construction to no avail, the dwarf merrily stands on the spot to deconstruct. Traffic designations do not work either. How do I get it to deconstruct from the right side?

Dwarves approach all jobs from the following direction in order: West, North, East, South, Northwest, Northeast, Southeast, Southwest. In order to get a dwarf to do something from the east (i.e. standing to the right of the object) you need to block the west and north (i.e. to the right and above the object).

When channeling I find it works best to designate every other tile, and when those are done go back and do the other half. Also never do more than one row/column at a time.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: March 03, 2011, 03:42:48 pm »

Will my dorfs get bad thoughts if I box up my dead in wooden coffins and cremate them in a giant magma furnace?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: March 03, 2011, 03:56:18 pm »

Will my dorfs get bad thoughts if I box up my dead in wooden coffins and cremate them in a giant magma furnace?
No, but you may get ghosts if you cremate the remains before they are entombed.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: March 03, 2011, 04:01:14 pm »

This is unusual. A leatherworker gets a strange mood, claims the Leather Works, and demands not leather, but rock and metal bars. We have both these in abundance and I'd be happy to use burrows to give them all to him just to see what he makes, but he won't touch them. There are no burrows blocking him, or any other thing blocking his path. The supplies he needs are in the very room he's in.

What am I missing?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: March 03, 2011, 04:05:39 pm »

Are you sure he doesn't want a specific type of metal?
Check his personality with [v]->[z]->[enter] or [ u ]->[v]

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: March 03, 2011, 04:10:23 pm »

Turns out he wanted leather too, he just didn't request it.

Probably assumed it was self-evident that he'd need leather. Arrogant little shit.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: March 03, 2011, 05:23:42 pm »

Hello again, how do i make my dorfs heal neural damage, i recall seeing it somewhere.
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: March 03, 2011, 05:30:31 pm »

I had the same idea, but if you bury dwarves in wooden coffins and then set them on fire with magma, it will destroy the corpse and the dwarf will no longer be buried, so he will rise as a ghost. As such the only way to get rid of the ghost in this instance is to engrave and then place a slab.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: March 03, 2011, 06:10:04 pm »

Looks like the dorfs at Fightworked are going to be Aztec-ing it up until I can get them enough goblinite to produce steel. (or find and dig into some cotton candy, though according to DF Reveal it'll be tricky getting that without opening the circus)

How do obsidian swords measure up as weapons, again? I know the heirarchy for metal weapons by heart...

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: March 03, 2011, 06:21:57 pm »

in .40d obsidian was equivalent to steel. I'm not sure that's still the case in 2010.

Tirunus

• Bay Watcher
  • Something witty here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: March 03, 2011, 07:43:08 pm »

For some reason I have stared to experiance MASSIVE lag after I started decorateing swords why is this?
My personal text is in itself a attempt to be witty, making fun of the fact that peoples personal text usually are trying to make a witty one liner. Possibly a reference to the game or just a generally humorous. You may also find that this signature is not used to regurgitate someone else's joke in a attempt to immortalize that they felt but instead have just joined a crowd of people who are to hung onto past feeling, but is used to better explain the personal text.
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 1178