Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119022 times)

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8730 on: February 15, 2011, 05:55:23 pm »

is there a way to specify dwarves to move something to another location...I made a pile room and it was on a stone floor (wasn't thinking) now I can't see the lines because of all the stone is there a way to move out the stone without having to build a huge stone pile and waiting till they get it all or am I SoL?

make a zone (i) and set it as a garbage dump (you can make it just 1 square in size).
Then use (k) to look at the all the stone you want to move and use (d) to set each stone to be dumped on the garbage dump.

If you made the garbage dump zone 1x1 square wide, the dwarves will dump all the rock onto this square. You can fit an unlimited amount of stuff on this one square.
Afterwards you can reclaim the dumped stone by using (k) and (d) to get it back

Noctriate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: February 15, 2011, 06:49:43 pm »

Are prepared organs "better" than regular meat? I'm just curious if I should be embarking with [Prepared Goat Brain] rather than [Goat Meat].

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: February 15, 2011, 06:59:07 pm »

Donīt think so.
I assume the only thing affecting happiness
might be individual tastes and, of course, the quality of the meal.
(not totally sure about the price of the ingredients however,
but I think they might only affect the price for which you can sell the meal/s at the trade depot)

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: February 15, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »

So Urist McMoodster has become peculiarly secretive.  She is a weaver, armorsmith, and gem setter, as well as having a bunch of touchy-feely skills and military skills.  I have a loom, a metalsmith's forge, and a jeweler's workshop, as well as a craftdwarf's workshop, and she don't care for none o' em.  She just stands there moodying.

So on a hunch I build her a clothier's shop.  That's the ticket!  Except for one thing -- she doesn't have any clothesmaking experience!  Why would this work for her?  I thought that moods only targetted skills that the dwarf had experience in.  Any ideas?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: February 15, 2011, 07:39:25 pm »

That's normal. I think a moody tanner claims a leatherworker's workshop in an analogous manner to how a weaver claims a clothier. They'll get weaving (or tanning, in that other case) experience out of the mood despite using the "wrong" workshop.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: February 15, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »

First, create a refuse stockpile near a butcher's shop.  Corpses seem to be only butchered if they're in a refuse stockpile near a butcher's shop.

Next, turn on gathering of refuse from outside.  Press 'o' to access the orders screen, and 'r' for refuse, then 'o' to enable gathering of refuse from outside.

That will get dwarves to pile corpses in a refuse stockpile.  Corpses will still only be butchered if they're non-rotten, non-sentient, and large enough to yield at least one unit of material.  Goblins won't be butchered because they're sentient.  Buzzard corpses, especially mutilated buzzard corpses, often aren't large enough to be butcherable.
Arrgggh. So that what I did wrong... the orders weren't set to collect outside refuse. Thanks!

masonmason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: February 15, 2011, 08:39:28 pm »

I need to find  the aquifer on my map but I cant find it it was supposed to be near the to p is there a for sure way to find it like dig strait to it?

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: February 15, 2011, 09:03:57 pm »

That's normal. I think a moody tanner claims a leatherworker's workshop in an analogous manner to how a weaver claims a clothier. They'll get weaving (or tanning, in that other case) experience out of the mood despite using the "wrong" workshop.

Okay, thanks!  That makes sense.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: February 15, 2011, 11:14:53 pm »

I need to find  the aquifer on my map but I cant find it it was supposed to be near the to p is there a for sure way to find it like dig strait to it?
Your best bet it probably to dig multiple downstairs through all the soil/stone layers than can hold a aquifer, they are seldom very deep. If you don't want valuable legendary miners exposed to goblin ambushes or werewolves or whatever, digging horizontal line through them should also work.  Mostly you have two biomes on your map and the aquifer is only in one, so try digging into whatever biome you fort isn't i if that's the case.

EDIT: And I didn't see this question was also posted in its own thread. Sorry. :P
Memento Mori

masonmason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: February 15, 2011, 11:21:57 pm »

My fault not yours :) anyway I have another question. I am fairly desperate to raise the overall  happiness level of my dwarfs because for some reason they are just generaly unhappy where as in my previous fortress they have been content in general. So what can I do as a fast fix for their unhappiness.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: February 15, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »

Unfortunately in my experience an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as far as happiness goes. There isn't an instant fix, but if you make a legendary dining room (not hard, just smooth a decent sized room and put in a bunch of tables) and have different kinds of booze and food you should be ok unless something traumatic happens (like a lot of deaths). Things that I like to do make them happier is to give them their own bed (furnished room is better but hardly necessary), try to level up a good cook to produce high quality meals and if you have a good carpenter or mason or metalsmith put some high quality furniture in public places. Dwarves get happy thought from seeing good quality items.  Artifact furniture is great for that too, if you have any. Some people make fancy stuff like mist generators but that's mostly for show, you don't really need them. Those are things I do, I'm sure other people have other ideas. :)

Also, if you look at the dwarfs information page (select them, z, enter IIRC) you can see what gave them happy or unhappy thoughts recently which might give you an idea of what the problem is in this fort. :)
Memento Mori

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: February 16, 2011, 01:37:57 am »

Ladies and gentlemen,

What is the significance of the (paraphrasing) UNDEAD_CANDIDATE tag for a race (or was it civilization)? Can dwarves/'undead-able' races actually become undead (aside from ghosts) during fortress or adventure mode game play?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:56 am »

I think that means that zombie/skeleton versions of that creature may spawn in evil areas.
I could be wrong.

FallenCleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: February 16, 2011, 05:16:02 am »

Do wagons really happen to come with elves in current version? If wiki is right this is possible, but should i expect one or they occur as frequent as dungeon master, or are completely bugged?

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: February 16, 2011, 05:18:52 am »

is there a way to specify dwarves to move something to another location...I made a pile room and it was on a stone floor (wasn't thinking) now I can't see the lines because of all the stone is there a way to move out the stone without having to build a huge stone pile and waiting till they get it all or am I SoL?

make a zone (i) and set it as a garbage dump (you can make it just 1 square in size).
Then use (k) to look at the all the stone you want to move and use (d) to set each stone to be dumped on the garbage dump.

If you made the garbage dump zone 1x1 square wide, the dwarves will dump all the rock onto this square. You can fit an unlimited amount of stuff on this one square.
Afterwards you can reclaim the dumped stone by using (k) and (d) to get it back

Even better is to go (d)-(b)-(d), and draw a box to designate stones to be dumped once you have your garbage zone set up. It's faster. (d)-(b)-(c) is mass reclaim. ;)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1178