Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115279 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8595 on: February 12, 2011, 05:11:00 pm »

How do I forbid my cooks from making tallow roasts? I want to make potash, and I don't quite like my cookdorfs using all the tallow for roasts.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: February 12, 2011, 05:13:18 pm »

Z menu. Also, you don't need tallow for potash.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: February 12, 2011, 05:13:57 pm »

And how would I dump those things there...?
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: February 12, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

Z menu. Also, you don't need tallow for potash.

Whoops, I meant soap.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: February 12, 2011, 07:30:42 pm »

And how would I dump those things there...?
Make a zone [ i ] next to where you want them to be dropped, and make it a pit/pond.
Then, press [P] and select what you want pitted.
Be aware than thieves and wild animals will attempt to escape, so build their cages right next to the edge.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: February 12, 2011, 08:39:31 pm »

how come there is no magma forge or magma smithse in the build lists? does this mean there is no magma on the map? im hoping for the bottom magma sea at the very least :'(

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: February 12, 2011, 08:46:24 pm »

You only see magma furnaces and workshops once you actually see your magma source.

I'm not sure if magma seas are guaranteed on all embark spots (assuming you don't disable them in the worldgen parameters), but I've never embarked without them. If you want to be sure, just download DFhack and use reveal.exe. Just make sure you unreveal (as the utility itself recommends) before you resume playing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:48:37 pm by assimilateur »

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: February 12, 2011, 08:58:15 pm »

You only see magma furnaces and workshops once you actually see your magma source.

I'm not sure if magma seas are guaranteed on all embark spots (assuming you don't disable them in the worldgen parameters), but I've never embarked without them. If you want to be sure, just download DFhack and use reveal.exe. Just make sure you unreveal (as the utility itself recommends) before you resume playing.
Unless the bottom layer and magma layer are both disabled (during advanced world gen), then magma can and will always be found at the bottom of the map.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: February 12, 2011, 09:15:26 pm »

Unless the bottom layer and magma layer are both disabled (during advanced world gen), then magma can and will always be found at the bottom of the map.

That's more or less what I thought and observed during a limited number of worldgens, but I had no definite confirmation.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: February 12, 2011, 09:38:32 pm »

i have a prison(has never been used cuz my dwarves are happy and obedient for the past 10 years).  however some dwarves seem to think a prison is a meeting spot even though there is no meeting spot there, and i have tried removing zones there even though there isn't one several times even making a meeting area designated there, and making it inactive.

how do i make them not chill there and go to my meeting area instead?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: February 12, 2011, 09:50:00 pm »

Some dwarves will wait around in specific spots when idle. Try making the prison restricted traffic, it could help.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: February 12, 2011, 09:59:23 pm »

remove the room designation, and re-designate it into a jail when you need it.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: February 13, 2011, 12:44:35 am »

The wiki says
"Note that all versions of DF2010 have a bug in which dwarves interrupted in the middle of a meal will abandon their food, and food abandoned in this manner can never be interacted with (picked up, stored, or dumped) by any dwarf ever again, including the dwarf who abandoned it. If the food is abandoned underground, it will eventually begin generating miasma. This is an especially frequent occurrence with soldiers, who will often be interrupted while consuming their rations when a training class begins."

Is this correct? I have never experienced this bug and can't find any reference to it in the patch notes or anywhere else in the forums.
Should i make my dining room magma-proof (already halfway there, mostly nickel and platinum furniture inside) and then set up a cleaning system to burn off any random abandoned food, or does dfhack clean this kind of thing?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: February 13, 2011, 12:51:15 am »

I'm still getting used to Adventure Mode. My latest hero, a human, started out in a tiny hamlet and as soon as she took one step, there was a collapse and a huge area caved in. It killed all the townsfolk, including the shopkeeps.

I wanted to grab all the stuff in the shops (esp. the money), but I figured that would automatically anger their entire civilization (even though nobody alive is around to witness). I don't see what the big deal is, considering that my character did not kill them and I had no companions yet. It's not like the dead can use the stuff

Question 1: Will my character get blamed for the deaths by collapse?
Question 2: Assuming I piss off a civilization in Adventure Mode, will their attitude towards my character always be negative? Or will it slowly normalize over time?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: February 13, 2011, 01:06:04 am »

Is this correct? I have never experienced this bug and can't find any reference to it in the patch notes or anywhere else in the forums.
Should i make my dining room magma-proof (already halfway there, mostly nickel and platinum furniture inside) and then set up a cleaning system to burn off any random abandoned food, or does dfhack clean this kind of thing?

I've seen some roasts that were oddly out of place and were marked as owned by someone, so that sounds like the bug you've described. I think the bug that made items rot indefinitely has been solved, so those rotting meals will eventually disappear. Accordingly, I wouldn't bother with making your dining room(s) cleanable via magma.

Question 1: Will my character get blamed for the deaths by collapse?
Question 2: Assuming I piss off a civilization in Adventure Mode, will their attitude towards my character always be negative? Or will it slowly normalize over time?

1. I've never been in a comparable situation, but I assume not. As regards looting, items owned by someone are distinctly tagged (I think it was $$ <item name> $$; if not, you should be able to figure it out anyway), thus I assume that anything not so tagged would be safely homesteadable.
2. Judging by how over the top the current hostility system is (stealing one item earns you the enmity of an entire civilization), I don't think that's ever going to pass. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 1178