Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115457 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #6075 on: December 15, 2010, 09:40:50 pm »

Is it a universal truth among dwarves, that hatches cannot be destroyed from below?
I don't know of any way for it to be done, so I'm going to say yes.

I should asked this more explicitly above, but... does that mean that even a Fell Beast isn't coming up a hatched-off stairway?
Nope.
But make sure you lock and pet-impass it.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: December 15, 2010, 11:13:13 pm »

I got 2 questions:

1.  My woodcutters seem to be on strike.  How do i fix this?  They have axe and theres no active burrows but they wont cut wood.  Ive tried removing the designation and redesignating, but all that results in is them idling for like 10 minutes, then getting up cutting down like 3 trees and then idling again with no intentions of starting up again.  Why wont they cut wood?  My metal industry has pretty much shut down because of this and theres imigrants sleeping on the floor.  And were running out places to put the booz.....

2.  The merchnts wont leave.  Theyve traded, Ive given them things, theyve packed up, their capable of leaving (im not stoping them this time), theyve "departed" but theyve beenin my trade depot for 3 weeks just sitting there.  Whats taking them so long?  My mayor is still "meeting" with the liason, but most of the time the traders are long gone/dead by the time they even start their meeting so i dont think thats the issue.  Ideas?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: December 15, 2010, 11:26:10 pm »

I got 2 questions:

1.  My woodcutters seem to be on strike.  How do i fix this?  They have axe and theres no active burrows but they wont cut wood.  Ive tried removing the designation and redesignating, but all that results in is them idling for like 10 minutes, then getting up cutting down like 3 trees and then idling again with no intentions of starting up again.  Why wont they cut wood?  My metal industry has pretty much shut down because of this and theres imigrants sleeping on the floor.  And were running out places to put the booz.....

2.  The merchnts wont leave.  Theyve traded, Ive given them things, theyve packed up, their capable of leaving (im not stoping them this time), theyve "departed" but theyve beenin my trade depot for 3 weeks just sitting there.  Whats taking them so long?  My mayor is still "meeting" with the liason, but most of the time the traders are long gone/dead by the time they even start their meeting so i dont think thats the issue.  Ideas?
1. Are the woodcutters in the military? Try taking the labor off them, and giving it to someone else.

2. No idea. Sorry.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: December 15, 2010, 11:29:04 pm »

1. Are the woodcutters in the military? Try taking the labor off them, and giving it to someone else.

2. No idea. Sorry.

1.  Nope.  And, ive tried giving the labor to someone else (my carpenters and bowyers) but they do the EXACT same thing.

2.  Ok that was really weird.  The merchants just left....sort of.  They decided to leave all the caged pets behind even though i didnt pay for them.  Furthermore all the pets are now marked as "Friendly" instead of "Tame" meaning i cant release them.  Also, they left one of their soldiers behind?!  Theres now a speardwarf marked as "Friendly" sitting in the middle of nowhere refusing to move.  Well...i did need an early thread detection system...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:01:44 am by Ifeno »
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: December 16, 2010, 12:27:30 am »

I've experienced things similar to 2. frequently. Merchants set up shop, then after I receive the message that they've embarked, they hang about for a couple of seasons, refusing to leave or sell anything. If you're concerned about their welfare and your relationship, you should probably wall them into your fortress with a little exit they can leave through when they're ready.

Or kill them.

An unrelated question- can dwarves use wells for  bucket-irrigation?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:34:25 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: December 16, 2010, 12:50:33 am »

Yes, if the well has water under it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: December 16, 2010, 01:05:33 am »

An unrelated question- can dwarves use wells for  bucket-irrigation?
Yes. which is why you can't tell them to fill a well using buckets.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: December 16, 2010, 01:58:22 am »

Yes, if the well has water under it.

Pffft. There always has to be a catch.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: December 16, 2010, 03:13:56 am »

What are these ≥ and these ≤ ?  They seem to appear where arrows or bolts hit the ground but they don't show up in K menus...?

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: December 16, 2010, 06:15:01 am »

Finally having my overworked mason can take a break or not...
I just got the second wave of migrants into my fortress, which is odd since I have yet to recieve any caravan evne though my trade depot is easily accessible

I've using dwarf therapist, some of my dwarves keep fishing. I checked ingame, and fishing is turned off. There are no fish to catch near me. WTH?
Okay and if I have a floor planned out to create, and then I make a new person a mason will they join in with the floor? Or do I have to re-designate it for them to start building?

On another note, all those who attempted ot help me earlier I still can't build a craftdwarfs workshop..
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:43 am »

What are these ≥ and these ≤ ?  They seem to appear where arrows or bolts hit the ground but they don't show up in K menus...?

Broken bolts. They're basically scenery, you can't do anything with them, except sit and wonder if they are gradually running down your FPS.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: December 16, 2010, 07:52:27 am »

The merchants not packing up properly is a confirmed bug.
To workaround do the following:
pause the game (you might want to view the depot while doing the rest so you can see that it works)
press (d) and then (t) to designate tree chopping. Now hold down the mouse button on a spot with no trees. The merchants should be packing up the 10000 rock mugs you traded them in 0 time (game is paused remember?). Once you see the merchants doing nothing you can unpause again and they should leave.

For the broken arrows, they don't show on paved roads, so if you want a clean archery range put a paved road in front of the target.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: December 16, 2010, 08:18:10 am »

I have a possessed weaponsmith idling in the living room. I built a magma forge, but he hasn't budged, and checked his skill repertoire, to verify that he doesn't have another trade.

Should I begin queuing sixteen coffins?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: December 16, 2010, 08:23:30 am »

Are you sure your magma forge has magma access (test if you can add tasks to it)?
Also i know glassmaker moods are bugged for magma glass furnaces requiring a normal furnace instead.
Build a normal forge and see if that works. Also if you didn't check him dwarf therapist he might just be a dabbling weaponsmith and dabbling in other skills too. Make sure he isn't restricted to burrows.
If all else fails just build one instance of every workshop i guess.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: December 16, 2010, 08:34:45 am »

It's not uncommon for mooders to demand regular workshops instead of magma ones.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1178