Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115265 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #6030 on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:40 pm »

So i retracted m bridge and theres a goblin on the other side of the pit.  Why wont my archers attack him from across the pit when i tell them to?  They have bolts.  Also, why do they run up to people when they shoot instead of staying at a distance?  They have bolts, a crossbow, and a quiver equiped.  Help?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #6031 on: December 14, 2010, 11:34:13 pm »

Retracted bridge acts as a wall, you can't shoot through a wall (retracted bridge)

Archers will opt to hit things with their crossbow rather than shoot 7/10 times, only way to guarantee that they don't is to make it overly difficult/impossible for them to use melee and force them to use range. Archer towers or pill boxes are my favorite way, they shoot bolts and stay out of melee's harm.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: December 14, 2010, 11:54:42 pm »

Screw pumps won't build on floor hatches? I read that hatches under a pump in a pump stack is an effective on/off switch, or does there need to be a machine under the hatch in order for it to work?
The two tiles of the pump aren't supposed to be overlapping with the hatch. You need to have the hatch on the "input" tile for the pump.
see here for details: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Screw_pump#Example_layouts
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: December 15, 2010, 01:30:35 am »

Regarding pets -- will a dwarf eventually adopt an available pet even if they do not have an innate preference for that animal?

E.g., I catch 20 wolves, tame them, and put them all up for adoption. Will only dwarves who like wolves for their cunning adopt the pets, or will other lonely dwarves just for the sheer thrill of it?

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: December 15, 2010, 07:31:26 am »

Once a thief has been revealed, will traps work on them like normal?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:41 am »

No.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6036 on: December 15, 2010, 08:42:13 am »

Retracted bridge acts as a wall, you can't shoot through a wall (retracted bridge)
Retracted bridges don't act like walls.  Raising drawbridges act like walls.  If the bridge was a raising drawbridge it's blocking line of sight.  If it was a retracting bridge, it won't.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: December 15, 2010, 10:01:01 am »

Once a thief has been revealed, will traps work on them like normal?

For a "Goblin Thief" (a snatcher), traps always work, even before he's revealed. For a Kobold Thief, traps never work, even after he's revealed.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: December 15, 2010, 10:50:55 am »

I've captured a Hydra in a cage trap.  Then I used the Kennel command to "tame" it.  It now says Stray Hydra (Tame), but as soon as it gets out of its cage it tries to kill my dwarves.  I had the same problem with a Giant Olm earlier...  how do I actually tame it?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6039 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:58 am »

If it has ever killed one of your dwarves, it will never be tame.  Even if its status says 'tame' it will still keep killing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: December 15, 2010, 11:26:33 am »

Is there anyway to tell my dwarfs to specifically move a certain stone, its blocking production of a workshop, sure I could build said workshop somewhere else but I want them to move the damn stone :L
I've set it on D for dump, I hav ea dump zone, what gives? Do I just have to wait till someone moves it then?
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: December 15, 2010, 11:37:39 am »

I've bought some Raw Glass, (green, red and clear) from the Dwarven caravan, but I am uncertain as to how to turn them into windows.
Anyone able to point me to the right workshop?
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: December 15, 2010, 11:39:51 am »

Raw glass is just a gem. You want to buy or gather sand to make windows. (You can make a gem window with three cut glass gems.)

Shroom: If they suspend the workshop, that means that the stone is tasked for something. You'll have to clear the tasking ere you can build the workshop.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:34 am »

Is there anyway to tell my dwarfs to specifically move a certain stone, its blocking production of a workshop, sure I could build said workshop somewhere else but I want them to move the damn stone :L
I've set it on D for dump, I hav ea dump zone, what gives? Do I just have to wait till someone moves it then?

Your "blocking production of a workshop" comment makes me suspicous.

If the stone is an item (that is, it was part of the landscape but has been mined out and there now sits a lump of stone on the floor), then it will not block the production of a workshop.

What may be going on is that stone may be flagged for a task (such a building something). In that event, your dwarves will not dump it since it is flagged for use in a task. For example, when you build a wall, you have to select building materials. When you do that, each material is flagged for use with that task. Until it is taken and used for that task, it will not be touched. If a task is suspended after the materials have been selected, then the materials will be flagged for use in that task indefinitely.

Basically, chances are the problem will clear itself up (when your dwarves get round to doing that task). If not, make sure that you have not got any tasks that have been suspended (for example, if you build a wall but an animal is on the tile when the dwarf tries to build).

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:06 am »

Is there any way to force a marriage/relationship between two dwarves? e.g. locking them in a room alone with a meeting area and assigning no job.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1178