Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123155 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #555 on: May 01, 2010, 11:47:37 pm »

Can you mostly eliminate the noble problem by trapping the Hammerer in a pit and tossing a plump helmet and a barrel of sewer brew down every few months?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 02, 2010, 12:13:26 am »

Do hammerers even show up any more? I've not seen them yet.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 02, 2010, 01:31:42 am »

Do hammerers even show up any more? I've not seen them yet.
All positions are filled by your own dorfs.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 02, 2010, 01:45:20 am »

I know. I'm talking about the nobles screen displaying the position for appointing the hammerer once the requirements are met. I've not seen it yet. Has anyone had a hammerer yet?

fidgetrice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 02, 2010, 08:00:36 am »

O' M' G'  DX
ok so i have a laptop, long story short i got started and did not realize that the lap top were different than the usual key bindings ya know... well now the dwarfs don't just roam around as they please XD. but i still don't know how to change the level that i am veiwing the tutorials say that it would be the ">" and the "<"  i think with a shift er some thing... and i am desperately trying to get in to this game for a Co worker but this is becoming too much. if there is any one who could help ease my problem it would be awesome.

so i think i accidentally changed the key binding for the changing the level i am viewing like up in the sky or in the dirt under ground where ever in the 150 some layers we have available now =). if some one who understand all the key binding junk tell me which one is the one that does that i will attempt to adjust it. cause it sure doesn't just say level switcher button =D. alternate solutions are also accepted =)

WurmD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 02, 2010, 09:26:54 am »

but i still don't know how to change the level that i am veiwing the tutorials say that it would be the ">" and the "<"

it's the "Move view/cursor up (z) aux" and "Move view/cursor down (z) aux" keybindings
change those to whatever you prefer

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 02, 2010, 09:34:42 am »

Is there any way to forbid dwarfs from going outside? Burrows aren't really that great, because some professions, such as woodcutting and fishing, are mostly outdoors. When I was ambushed I made a burrow and assigned everyone to it, but some of them just stood around outside before being chased and killed by the gobbos. I know there was a 'forbid from going outdoors' order in 28, but what about now?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 02, 2010, 09:48:06 am »

This time I appointed my military dorf as baroness, hoping that she will stay in the squad and I'll be able to give her orders.
To my surprise, not only she stayed in the squad, she also do regular labors, including hauling stuff around.
Raws have following for land holders:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which makes me wonder whether it is a bug. Well, even if it is, I have no reason to complain, finally we have useful nobles.

Is there any way to forbid dwarfs from going outside? Burrows aren't really that great, because some professions, such as woodcutting and fishing, are mostly outdoors. When I was ambushed I made a burrow and assigned everyone to it, but some of them just stood around outside before being chased and killed by the gobbos. I know there was a 'forbid from going outdoors' order in 28, but what about now?
You should use alerts with burrows.
1. Create burrow which contains safe area. DO NOT assign anyone to it.
2. Create new alert.
3. Assign the burrow to the alert.
When needed, switch civvies to this alert from inactive, and they will stay in that burrow.

retheldirood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 02, 2010, 01:03:55 pm »

Two questions.

One, with the reveal tool, is there a method to reveal not the whole map, but just say the top few layers? I'm trying to find my coal and lignite deposits and don't want to have to strip-mine the whole cliff-face to find them.

Two, I'm not sure I understand the application of a waterwheel to a screwpump, and want to be sure I do it right.  Do I simply build the wheel adjacent to the pump, or is there additional material required to connect the two (Axle, gear, etc?)?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 02, 2010, 01:28:37 pm »

One, with the reveal tool, is there a method to reveal not the whole map, but just say the top few layers? I'm trying to find my coal and lignite deposits and don't want to have to strip-mine the whole cliff-face to find them.
Well, DFHack's reveal can be easily changed to reveal only needed layers. I can give you patch, altho cant compile it for windows due to lack of windows and MSVS.
Two, I'm not sure I understand the application of a waterwheel to a screwpump, and want to be sure I do it right.  Do I simply build the wheel adjacent to the pump, or is there additional material required to connect the two (Axle, gear, etc?)?
Yes, you just put it adjacent to center tile of wheel. It transfers power and support on both sides

WurmD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 02, 2010, 01:31:36 pm »

My carpenter's shop is cluttered with wooden blocks.
there is a bar/block stockpile next to it with empty spaces and bins on it.

I've "dump"ed and "forbid/claim"ed them and still no go.

retheldirood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 02, 2010, 02:21:05 pm »

Yes, you just put it adjacent to center tile of wheel. It transfers power and support on both sides

Thanks.  Also, for pump stacks, I assume there needs to be a floor between the two?  It wil still transfer power vertically?  I would also assume that it would be a safe idea to build the pumps first, before the wheel, so as to avoid flooding?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 02, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »

Also, for pump stacks, I assume there needs to be a floor between the two?  It wil still transfer power vertically?  I would also assume that it would be a safe idea to build the pumps first, before the wheel, so as to avoid flooding?
No, there should be a channel on one of tiles in order to transfer power.
Easy to remember design:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So you just mirror it on each layer. Also, channels force you to set directions on pumps properly, since you could not build them otherwise.

If you want to just power pump stack with wheels, you better place gears assembly linked to the lever between them, so you could turn off the pumps when needed.

morejolli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 02, 2010, 04:36:14 pm »

New dwarf manager here with a question regarding depot access.

If my embark site is on the peak of a strangely flat mountain with this flat ground stretching to the edge of the visible map, will caravans have access to my fort? Or will the fact that I'm technically on top of a 9+ cliff-faced mountain prevent their arrival? Assuming I have otherwise cleared the way to my depot as needed.
Quote from: Gandalf
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 02, 2010, 04:40:08 pm »

New dwarf manager here with a question regarding depot access.

If my embark site is on the peak of a strangely flat mountain with this flat ground stretching to the edge of the visible map, will caravans have access to my fort? Or will the fact that I'm technically on top of a 9+ cliff-faced mountain prevent their arrival? Assuming I have otherwise cleared the way to my depot as needed.
That should not be a problem. As long as you can trace an accessible way to the edge of the map on your embark site( press "D" for depot access check), you should be ok.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 1178