Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123105 times)

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 29, 2010, 05:20:59 am »

The relative lack of fish is well known, already, and slated for a fixin' with .04. From what I understand, temperature shenanigans are cooking fish populations to death, or something along those lines. So it's entirely possibly there's no fish in the brook. Of course, it could be something else entirely, heh.

Have you tried just setting your dwarves to fish without designating fishing zones and seeing if they try the brook?

Yeah they try fishing in the swamps and with those I atleast get the message "There is nothing to catch in X".
It's odd because they've embarked in a temperate biome and theres no excessive heat evaporation.. however I think the water source does pass through a desert on the Worldmap...?
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 29, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 29, 2010, 11:28:51 pm »

Yes, except for one thing; magma pipes are of uniform shape the whole way now, so you won't be able to tap in directly anymore, unless you don't mind losing a miner.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 30, 2010, 12:06:51 am »

But I have a volcano. Could I channel a couple squares in the obsidian floor on the top level of the volcano?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 30, 2010, 11:06:54 am »

Yes, that works fine to get magma shops operational, I've done it on a several maps right after embark.  Defending the forge from surfacing magma critters is another matter, but I've noticed on a few maps now that the magma frequently tends to 'surface' a z-level down from the earthen lip of the vent so I think their movements above-surface are much more limited now.  In 40d the magma surface always seemed to be even with the earth surface.

My question - creating farm plots has to be done frequently via bucket-brigade, as described in the wiki.  On my current map, with many no-job dwarves, and a good 7-8 buckets, I only ever saw two dwarves get down to the actual task of carrying water.  This is a bit frustrating when the plot is a good distance from the map's only murky pools, and the water is drying up nearly as fast as they can pour it in.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

soylentbrew

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 30, 2010, 11:19:39 am »

Does the "mood" of your departure area effect the types of creatures you get in the caverns? I.E. if i start out in an evil biome will i get different caverns than in a good biome?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 30, 2010, 05:06:39 pm »

Regarding bucket chains, you'll only get one bucket per zone. Dig another hole, create another zone above it and you'll double the rate of your water dispersal.

Regarding underground creatures, their location is defined by their tags, including the tags [GOOD], [EVIL] and [SAVAGE]. Some subterranean creatures eg. Trolls have tags such as [EVIL] tags, so it's assumed they wouldn't show up on non-evil maps.

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 30, 2010, 09:30:01 pm »

Ok, odd as it is, i am having trouble finding much info on starting builds. I know there are numerous possibilities but what do the pro's recommend you have as starting profesions for your dwarves in DF 2010?

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 30, 2010, 11:37:49 pm »

Sand?
I'm on a map with no sand immediately obvious.  There is loam.
Is there a specific layer or type of layer where sand is known to appear?
Should I just keep digging randomly hoping to find some sand?
Or if I don't see it on the surface, does that mean there will be no sand ever on this map?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 01, 2010, 12:02:19 am »

Unless I'm forgetting something random, if sand (plain sand or colored sand, not loamy sand) doesn't show up in the biome list on embark, the only way you're getting any is via trade (providing you're using the 2010 version(s).).

If some sort of sand's listed on the embark screen, then you've got a layer of it somewhere on the map; it may or may not be visible on the surface. If sand's not on that biome list whatsit, you don't have native access, effectively period.

Now, if you've forgotten what was on that list, just dig around. Unless you've got multiple biomes in your embark area, it's only going to be one soil type per z-level, so you probably don't have too far to dig to find out if there's any accessible on your map.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 01, 2010, 04:34:14 am »

For starting builds and equipment I find the Play Now! build quite adequate. You can have two miners straight away (I usually assign my mason to mining duty for a year).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 01, 2010, 04:36:18 am »

Is there anything I can do to get my marksdwarves to shoot?

Can Dwarves ever equip two-handed weapons? (Halberd, Great Axe, Two-Handed Sword)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

WurmD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 01, 2010, 06:32:25 am »

I have a stack of 2 whip vines sitting in a wood stockpile, and there is a food stockpile just next door.. ? report bug?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 01, 2010, 09:13:49 am »

Is there anything I can do to get my marksdwarves to shoot?

Pray :D

Can Dwarves ever equip two-handed weapons? (Halberd, Great Axe, Two-Handed Sword)

In DF2010 they should be able to do so,if I remember correctly

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 01, 2010, 11:02:22 am »

For the first time in a very long time, I've just had a dwarf go into a Strange Mood. Namely Possessed.

Now I'd like to try to keep him alive as its my Expo leader, (the first jumped off the waterfall) so how can i find out what his requirements are? he hasn't claimed a Workshop yet so i assume I need to build one, but the question is which?

Will it always be linked to his activated Labours?
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 1178