Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1091762 times)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4965 on: November 11, 2010, 03:02:12 pm »

In adventure mode I'm trying the wrestling feature for the first time, I've grabbed someones bow, but I don't know how to actually take it from him. Do I have to have one of my hands empty?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4966 on: November 11, 2010, 03:12:13 pm »

In adventure mode I'm trying the wrestling feature for the first time, I've grabbed someones bow, but I don't know how to actually take it from him. Do I have to have one of my hands empty?
You have to physically move away from them to attempt to take the weapon away.  There isn't a command to take the weapon away without moving away.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: November 11, 2010, 03:44:15 pm »

Uzu, did you assign any miners/woodcutters to the military by any chance? They might have laid claim to all your food supplies; it's a bug I've had to deal with before.

SandehBear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: November 11, 2010, 04:30:27 pm »

Is there any way to set a large order of, say, armour to be produced? I want a full set of steel for each of my warriors, which I can do, it just takes time. Is there no better way than manually selecting each piece I want produced, no way of either saying, this is the uniform, I want it to now be made, or, this is a useful set of items, I want them to be made together in future?
I can't see it as an option and haven't read it on the wiki, but considering how detailed the game is, I almost expected it.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: November 11, 2010, 04:36:41 pm »

Alright another wrestling question, whenever I try to do something after I've grabbed a part of someone, it just says "You adjust your grip on Urist's *body part*" and t doesn't do anything
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: November 11, 2010, 04:42:10 pm »

Is there any way to set a large order of, say, armour to be produced? I want a full set of steel for each of my warriors, which I can do, it just takes time. Is there no better way than manually selecting each piece I want produced, no way of either saying, this is the uniform, I want it to now be made, or, this is a useful set of items, I want them to be made together in future?
I can't see it as an option and haven't read it on the wiki, but considering how detailed the game is, I almost expected it.

In case you're very new to the game:
You know that pressing 'r' on a workshop task makes that task repeat?

Otherwise:
You can assign a manager - but that has limitations too; see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Manager

SandehBear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: November 11, 2010, 05:29:44 pm »

Yeh, but neither of those do exactly what I want. I want to repeat the order, but I want like 7 things to be made as part of that order. I could have 7 foundries going, or just queue up each full set, but I'd really like to just label it as order 1 and say, I want 20 lots of it, go do it. Kind of hoped that was what the manager was, but it doesn't seem to be?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: November 11, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »

So, I started a new fort because I wanted to take on aquifiers for some reason.

Anyway, how aggressive are chimps?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: November 11, 2010, 05:54:22 pm »

SandehBear:
Might be best to just queue up the full set on repeat - I think the soldiers will take the best pieces as they become available (or my military are a bunch of slackers) and with a little observation of the forge(s) you'll be able to tell when enough has been made.

Double A:
I had an infestation of chimps once - they do seem to gang up on dwarves that don't run away fast enough and did small injuries (which fully healed) to a couple of mine.  Some armed military will cut them up real quick.  As far as I remember it took my hunters tons of bolts to kill them for some reason.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: November 11, 2010, 05:57:09 pm »

Yeh, but neither of those do exactly what I want. I want to repeat the order, but I want like 7 things to be made as part of that order. I could have 7 foundries going, or just queue up each full set, but I'd really like to just label it as order 1 and say, I want 20 lots of it, go do it. Kind of hoped that was what the manager was, but it doesn't seem to be?
If you have a manager, you can assign a certain number of goods to be made.
Go to the [j]obs screen, then [m]anager, [q]new order. Pick what you want made, then the amount.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: November 11, 2010, 05:57:45 pm »

They can get skittish and unpredictable if approached too closely, but are quick to flee. They can seriously damage and possibly kill civilians. That becomes more likely if it's cornered inside, out in the wild it may take a few swings and run away even if not threatened.

Is anyone willing to comb this thread for frequently (re)asked questions and their answers?

If not, I don't blame you...not volunteering, myself.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4976 on: November 11, 2010, 06:06:04 pm »

So, I started a new fort because I wanted to take on aquifiers for some reason.

Anyway, how aggressive are chimps?

I had a monkey 'push' a dwarf into a lake once. He drowned before he could be rescued.. I found out how annoying dodging can be.
Two of them lead my wardogs away from the caravan while the rest stole most of my food.
This was immediately after embarking. (the miners were on their way to start digging)
On my first fort :(

Quick question, can civilizations mine away a mountain? I have a large mountain with a aquifer up top on the sedimentary layer, and half of the mountain appears to have been 'cleared' away. Also, can you not embark on top of a mountain anymore? Sure, it has no plants or trees and contains a big fat aquifer, but that's the whole reason I want to embark there.
It's just that I rarely find an embark area that screams 'perfect', the geographical formations are just so awesome, and the aquifer makes sure I have enough water to flood the world. My fortress would be smack dab in the middle, surrounded by high cliffs on one side and low (flood-able) valleys on the other. But it won't let me embark :(
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:32:15 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: November 11, 2010, 06:33:40 pm »

There's an "embark anywhere" utility, check the modding forum.

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: November 11, 2010, 06:37:07 pm »

Some questions:

1) I set my military dwarves to take a break, I set a month to unactive, and cancelled all orders in that month. Yet they continue to train at the barracks.

2) I dug into a cavern, all fine and dandy only lost 3 dwarves, but now there are all these saplings and ead bushes sprouting up all around my fortress, how do I get rid of them?! D:

3) Can you butcher trogdolyes? :3

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: November 11, 2010, 06:51:12 pm »

Some questions:

1) I set my military dwarves to take a break, I set a month to unactive, and cancelled all orders in that month. Yet they continue to train at the barracks.

2) I dug into a cavern, all fine and dandy only lost 3 dwarves, but now there are all these saplings and ead bushes sprouting up all around my fortress, how do I get rid of them?! D:

3) Can you butcher trogdolyes? :3

1) Did you set a barracks up and set it to train that squad?  If so, toggle it off.

2) I think that making a stockpile stops things growing, but I don't see a reason why you'd wat to do that.  Building a road would work for sure.

3) I don't think you can butcher sentient species.  Moody dwarves might use their bones after the corpses rot though.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 1178