Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123067 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #495 on: April 23, 2010, 06:54:16 pm »

@halo

1. I don't know of a working method to get marksdwarves to train (or fight properly). afaik they're the buggiest of all the new military. as for getting non-marksdwarves to do individual combat drills, see the link in my sig.

2. i have no idea as far as captains/lieutenants/generals. outpost liason is the guy your civ sends with the trade caravan to ask what you want the caravan to bring next year. diplomats come from the humans and the elves. the elven one bitches at you about cutting down too many trees, the human one i think comes if you're at war to negotiate peace. as for the wiki in general, if the 2010 article has no information or broken links, try the 40d article. most of the information is still accurate (unless contradicted by something the 2010 page says)

3. i really don't know. you could just release the marmots so your military can murder them.

4. not that i'm aware of. you're better off just getting a cat for vermin control.

5. dunno

6. yeah, you have to fish up a turtle (or cave lobster) and then process it. if you have murky pools, mark one as a fishing zone, afaik currently turtles are the -only- thing you can fish aboveground. so if you have murky pools getting one should be easy. otherwise, you're pretty much boned.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 23, 2010, 09:17:42 pm »

How do we assign Fortress Guards (for [great] justice) in the new military screen?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2010, 03:04:28 pm »

2. The wiki has listed (red linked) on their nobles page various nobles that I have no idea what they do. Militia Commander and Militia Captains I understand. What are Captains, Lieutenants, General, Outpost Liasons and Diplomats? Are they just upgraded versions of current nobles, the same way a Duke/King is just an upgraded Baron?
I'd assume so. In 40d as your hamlet grew the noble titles would change. The book-keeper became a hoardmaster, for example.

3. My first attempt at capturing wild animals for meat resulted in 3 Hoary Marmots in cages. Are you required to tame a caged animal just so you can slaughter it for meat? That seems counter-intuitive. I assigned the military to kill it, but they just stood by the cage and glared angrily at it. I did try to tame them as well, but when I went to the kennel and selected tame a large animal, it looked like a list came up, except that list was empty, and the marmots were not listed. Alternatively, if I tried the same thing on tame a small animal, the giant rat was listed. which leads me to the next question...
I haven't mastered butchering myself, but I know you need a butcher's shop, and to designate the marmots for butchering.
5. Do fish "travel" through water pumps? IE, if I pump water from a river/lake into my fortress, can that water then be fished in? I realize that fish are vermin and they "spawn" in their biome, but is my artifical pond then considered part of their biome? I know that magma creatures will not spawn in magma taken away from the magma tube, will fish then not spawn in water taken away from the river? This is mostly a for the future question, since I know right now all the fish have been boiled away in the death oceans bugs.
I've fished in moats, and IIRC even in the occasional exposed aquifer.

You should be fine.

Nick

Baron Of Hell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2010, 03:59:28 pm »

How do you page down on the screen where you picking animals to assign to cages or picking which type of furniture you want to build?  I'm not talking about the - or + that lets you go up or down one item at of time. I want to move a page at a time.  Or if this doesn't exist is there a way to quickly find what I want.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 24, 2010, 04:03:36 pm »

* and /

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 24, 2010, 04:55:41 pm »

Do demonstrations work, at all? I always have a couple members waiting for dodging demonstrations, and a couple waiting for combat demonstrations, but they never happen or gain skill.

I just recently got a couple to start individual training, but others just sit around wasting food.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2010, 07:40:33 pm »

Is there an alert level that lets forbid a burrow?

My map is divided into two areas. There's the fortress, which is always expanding and completely safe, and there's the parts goblins can go. It would be extremely nice if I could make the Goblin-go areas into a burrow, and set an alert-level where nobody will go there.  This is much more convenient then adding a new part to my official home burrow every time my miners dig a new hole.

Also how do you get your troops to actually pick up their weapons? The things are assigned from the equipment screen, stored in pretty bins 10 squares from where I station them, but the squad refuses to pick them up. Apparently wrestlers wearing iron caps are no match for some goblin chick with a whip.

Nick

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 24, 2010, 09:22:05 pm »

I answered my second question. I need an arsenal dwarf.

Still need to know if there's a way to forbid a burrow.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:44 pm »

Nick, you could simply make a new burrow spanning everywhere and remove the part where the goblins can go to.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 25, 2010, 02:25:41 am »

Nick, you could simply make a new burrow spanning everywhere and remove the part where the goblins can go to.

But then you have to update it every time "everywhere" get's bigger. I think a "stay out of burrow" command would be useful as well.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 25, 2010, 06:50:49 am »

What's the difference between regions and islands when generating a world?

Sulphuratum

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 25, 2010, 10:14:42 am »

shardok, islands tend to have more water and have oceans on everey edge
Serpentine fried up in olivine oil and limonite juice?  Sounds gneiss.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 25, 2010, 03:12:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 25, 2010, 04:26:31 pm »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 25, 2010, 04:56:31 pm »

What the hell is up with that camel? It insisted on coming inside and pestering people in the stockpiles, despite my putting up traps. It was wounded by the military before, and subsequently battered with rocks, punched, and bitten by dogs.
It finally just died of a rock to the head.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1178