Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1090829 times)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4935 on: November 10, 2010, 06:21:38 pm »

They never clean mud, ever.

I am almost completely certain that dwarves do, in fact, clean mud off of underground smoothed/constructed floors.

If they do, it could be interesting.  My most recent farms were, in fact, made on underground smoothed-then-muddied stone.  However, it also could be that they clean mud incidentally if they want to clean less useful contaminants (such as blood) from nearby tiles.

And in any case, they're definitely not cleaning in YellowPebble's situation, and the wiki does not yet have discussion of exceptions.  "Cleaning" currently states "dwarves clean interior and non-muddied subterranean floors," and "mud" lists the construction option only.

--Rexfelum

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: November 10, 2010, 09:46:11 pm »

My lava pool keeps displacing my obsidian floor hatch and flowing through the channeled square. How can I prevent lava from moving over the hole?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: November 10, 2010, 10:42:26 pm »

Alright, two questions today.

If I were to build a floor of floor hatches or whatnot instead of a standard obsidian farm floor, and there was a room the same size under the giant obsidian slab, and I somehow trapped enemies under the floor hatch room barrier, severed the obsidian, then opened the hatches with levers, would they die a squishy death?

Also, can building destroyers attack across z-levels? This would make my Slab-O-Matic™ less likely to malfunction (read: not user error). Also, it would make me feel better regarding floor hatches used as staircase doors to the depths (in short, could a staircase to a cavern, blocked by a hatch, keep nasties out)? I also plan on having a fort where stuff is connected by outside and tunnels, and the floor hatches would be used as doors (kind of like tree houses, but instead of being made of sissy trees be made of stone and/or metal)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:44:11 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: November 10, 2010, 10:59:52 pm »

I think obsidian would destroy the floor hatches.

And building destroyers cannot attack across z-level.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: November 11, 2010, 06:54:29 am »

Dwarves will remove mud from areas designated to be smoothed.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: November 11, 2010, 07:29:24 am »

Thanks for a lot of responses.

My dining room is bare earth, so the question of whether dwarves do or do not clean mud of smoothed stone is moot. I will go with constructing and deconstructing stone floors. Actually I would just construct them and leave the dining room with stone floors, but from what I understand you cannot build other constructions on top of a constructed stone floor?

It would be nice if "clean floors" was a designation, like smoothing stone or chopping trees.

Useful to know about building cages: I didn't know you could.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: November 11, 2010, 07:49:37 am »

Actually I would just construct them and leave the dining room with stone floors, but from what I understand you cannot build other constructions on top of a constructed stone floor?

This only, and I stress only, applies to things built through the (C)onstructions menu. Furniture, workshops, traps, and farms can be built just fine. For your dining hall, I reccomend using blocks to boost the room value, and building stone block walls for the same reason (just dig out your soil ones and replace)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4942 on: November 11, 2010, 09:04:06 am »

If I were to build a floor of floor hatches or whatnot instead of a standard obsidian farm floor, and there was a room the same size under the giant obsidian slab, and I somehow trapped enemies under the floor hatch room barrier, severed the obsidian, then opened the hatches with levers, would they die a squishy death?
When the obsidian forms, it destroys anything in the same tile.  This will include the hatches.  Furthermore, hatch covers don't provide support, so the obsidian wall would promptly cave in as soon as it formed even if the hatches weren't destroyed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: November 11, 2010, 09:41:01 am »

My brand-new fortress seemed pretty secure. There's only one entrance, and it's one-tile wide. Enough for a fortress that hasn't even got it's first caravan yet.

Unfortunately the local elephant herd disagreed. They have apparently mastered the art of walking up hallways. They aren't actually doing anything except scaring my dorfs, but at some point I'm gonna have to off them. And I got no army.

Melee will be useless because my guys got no skills. Archery will only piss them off. Siege weapons are tricky because my elephant infestation moves up and down z-levels. Traps are possible, but it'll take a long time for the elephants to decide to walk on them.

Advice?

Nick

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50:40 am »

Just send some dwarves in to stab them. It's good practice, and elephants don't have armor, so slashy weapons will do fine.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: November 11, 2010, 09:56:04 am »

Traps are possible, but it'll take a long time for the elephants to decide to walk on them.

Advice?

Nick

Set your Cage Traps at the choke points (next to stairwells/outside the doors/etc) mark all of your doors as 'Keep tightly closed' http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Door
.   Set up your cages where they aren't, but where they eventually will move through (so your Dwarfs setting up the traps aren't scared during construction).  You'll probably need tons and tons of traps, so lock off your Workshop areas as much as possible to control where they might move to.

As long as you don't attack them, they won't become violent.  Once you've captured them, they are easily tamed then you can butcher them (or make them into WarElephants -- WOOT ).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:01 am »

I actually have a question for once.

If a tamed animal kills a tantuming/insane dwarf, is it safe to keep around, or should it be put down?

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: November 11, 2010, 10:54:37 am »

Are underground lakes infinite water sources when they go off the edge of the map? Or will my waterfall plan end up draining the top cavern layer?

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: November 11, 2010, 11:04:20 am »

Are underground lakes infinite water sources when they go off the edge of the map? Or will my waterfall plan end up draining the top cavern layer?

Infinite water goes into/comes out of all lakes (rivers/streams) that connect to the edge of the map.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: November 11, 2010, 11:05:04 am »

Tame animals don't go savage.

only applies to wild animals...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 1178