Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1090818 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4890 on: November 09, 2010, 03:26:16 pm »

Can the queen currently come?
It depends on how skillful the King is.

*simultaneous headdesk and rimshot*

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4891 on: November 09, 2010, 03:41:30 pm »

I accidentally tried to trade a large clear glass gem that I imported and the elves got mad at me and left. Except I closed the gates on them and killed them all with my military, including the donkeys. Will any elves actually know I did this, or can they only assume since their caravan went to my fortress and never returned?

I traded all of their overpriced wood crap to the next human caravan, had enough to buy everything I wanted from them, and some stuff I didn't want.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: November 09, 2010, 03:54:33 pm »

I accidentally tried to trade a large clear glass gem that I imported and the elves got mad at me and left. Except I closed the gates on them and killed them all with my military, including the donkeys. Will any elves actually know I did this, or can they only assume since their caravan went to my fortress and never returned?

I traded all of their overpriced wood crap to the next human caravan, had enough to buy everything I wanted from them, and some stuff I didn't want.

Elves (and all caravans) will compare the value of the items on the returning caravan with what they sent out. If the numbers don't add up, either because nobody came back or you stole from them, then they'll get pissed. It doesn't matter whether you deconstruct the depot, kill them directly, flood the caravan, or if they get ambushed by goblins as soon as they enter the map; they will blame you for the loss.

On the plus side, losing a caravan isn't an automatic war- they'll likely be back peacefully next year. Just be prepared for the worst.

Incidentally, the reason they were offended by that glass gem is because wood must have been used in its creation; namely, charcoal. AFAIK, metal and glass items that use magma as a fuel source do not anger the elves; presumably they have some method of determining whether they were created via elf kosher means.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: November 09, 2010, 04:05:29 pm »

Incidentally, the reason they were offended by that glass gem is because wood must have been used in its creation; namely, charcoal. AFAIK, metal and glass items that use magma as a fuel source do not anger the elves; presumably they have some method of determining whether they were created via elf kosher means.

From the Wiki -  "Glass ... wood-derived lye and pearlash are used in their production."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4894 on: November 09, 2010, 04:06:16 pm »

Actually, the elves were offended because it was clear glass.  Clear glass requires potash to make, and potash can only be produced from wood ash, so clear glass items require wood to be cut, and therefore offend elves.  Green glass doesn't offend elves, because it can be made with coal or magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: November 09, 2010, 04:07:20 pm »

Cheerfully withdrawn!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: November 09, 2010, 05:40:23 pm »

Got a bunch of questions.

I obtained a cougar tooth, but it cannot be made into any tooth crafts? Why not?

Cutting raw glass into gems doesn't appear in the jewellers workshop, does it have to be done by manager only?

Do skeletons of kobolds and goblins eventually become usable bones and skulls for making things with?

How many boots and gauntlets does a Forge task produce? a pair of gauntlets? one boot? two boots?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: November 09, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »

I obtained a cougar tooth, but it cannot be made into any tooth crafts? Why not?
I'm not sure about this, but you may want to try ivory crafts.
Cutting raw glass into gems doesn't appear in the jewellers workshop, does it have to be done by manager only?
Raw glass already counts as a gem, so you cannot cut it. You can use it to encrust things, though.
Do skeletons of kobolds and goblins eventually become usable bones and skulls for making things with?
Eventually, I think.
How many boots and gauntlets does a Forge task produce? a pair of gauntlets? one boot? two boots?
I'm fairly certain it is two at a time.

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: November 09, 2010, 07:12:55 pm »

Mild annoyance: Why do dwarves seem to path to the most distant (random?) piece of stone to complete a task.
I have created workshops with stockpiles of stones surrounding them but no....
My masons go to the furthest reaches of my mines to pick up that random piece of diorite (when I wanted all doors to be microcline!).
My smith has to pick up the most further lying piece of limestone to make the pig iron when next door there is a huge stockpile prepared.

What is causing this? Any other workarounds besides mass forbiddings via Stocks menu?  ::)

"You are not going crazy! You are going sane in the crazy world!"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: November 09, 2010, 07:36:06 pm »

They could be coming from any direction, or decide on any item at whim to work with before reaching the workshop, but once they sit down to a queue of tasks, they'll usually go for the nearest stockpile. So the simplest way would be to set up a list of multiples and expect a few unwanted pieces to creep through production.

If you have the attention to spare, you could forbid a stone just as they're sitting down, they'll cancel the job whether it's set to repeat or not, then if there's another they'll get to it with what's nearest available.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: November 09, 2010, 07:51:11 pm »

Dwarves also only check the distance from an object in straight tiles, and consider Z-level changes as single tiles.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: November 09, 2010, 08:23:05 pm »

A possible solution is to create a burrow containing the workshop, the stone pile, and some food and booze, and assign your mason or whatever to that until you have a sufficient supply of the items you need.

ETA: I have a possessed clothier/military dorf. S/he asks for leather, of which I have plenty, rough gems, of which I have plenty, bones, of which I have plenty, and "cloth... thread". I got a parade of dorfs heading down to the caves to hunt for webs, but s/he seems to be rejecting the spider silk. What gives?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:25:46 pm by proxn_punkd »

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: November 09, 2010, 08:29:47 pm »

ETA: I have a possessed clothier/military dorf. S/he asks for leather, of which I have plenty, rough gems, of which I have plenty, bones, of which I have plenty, and "cloth... thread". I got a parade of dorfs heading down to the caves to hunt for webs, but s/he seems to be rejecting the spider silk. What gives?

Dorf wiki indicates that "cloth.. thread" demands actually indicates an already made silk or fiber cloth rather than the thread itself.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mood#demands
"You are not going crazy! You are going sane in the crazy world!"

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: November 09, 2010, 08:55:37 pm »

Dorf wiki indicates that "cloth.. thread" demands actually indicates an already made silk or fiber cloth rather than the thread itself.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mood#demands

"Collect Webs" seems to be automatically queuing "Weave Cloth". The problem was all the rough gems were in the gem bins I'd assigned to the trade depot; once I put those back in the gem stockpile, she happily grabbed some and went back to work.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: November 09, 2010, 09:00:26 pm »

Quote from: Kat
I'm not sure about this, but you may want to try ivory crafts.

Tried ivory/tooth crafts, no joy.

I guess since the tooth didn't appear via butchering (hunter shot the tooth out o.0), it's just a miscellaneous body part, like a tail or nose is.
Not actually the kind of tooth that the ivory craft is looking for.

Raw glass already counts as a gem, so you cannot cut it. You can use it to encrust things, though.

I can issue "cut raw glass" orders in manager, and they cut raw glass into things. Encrust too.
But using glass doesn't appear in the workshop menu for cutting or encrusting.

I'm fairly certain it is two at a time.

Yeah, turns out it's two at a time. Think I misremembered how it worked before, confusing it with artifact boots. A previous game, a dwarf made an amazing boot. It menaced with spikes, and had an image of a dwarf striking down a goblin (possibly kicking the goblin, given it was a wrestler).
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 1178