Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1091731 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4845 on: November 07, 2010, 12:13:21 pm »

So, after my pitting experiments i've got quite a bunch of kobold and goblin corpses in refuse stockpiles.(partial skeletons already) How do i get rid of those?

Make a chasm, throw them in it, fill it with magma. Or mod the raw files to butcher sentient creatures.

Don't know about FB's, but if the dragon is butcherable it should queue itself if it's taken to a refuse stockpile close to the butchers shop. It may have rotted before reaching the stockpile or may rot before the butcher reaches it, in which case you would have to wait for it to decompose before it's bones can be harvested.

A quick question: is shell better than bone or vice versa? How do bone/shell armors stack with metal?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: November 07, 2010, 12:58:24 pm »

I've captured several horses and want to start taming/butchering them. I haven't bothered to set up an automatic butching system so the former is probably easier for the moment.
Trouble is, can't get horses out of cages without them running amok. I would ideally restrain them, but as soon as I get them out of the cages they run off, so I can't tame, can't restrain to let them start breeding. What am I doing wrong, most people seem to do this easily?

You tame the horses from the kennels while they are still in the cage.  You don't release them before taming them, unless you want them to run amok.  Just queue up the Tame Large Animal job while they are in the cage they were caught in, then you can safely move them around or release them.

Don't forget that you need to enable 'Animal Training' on one of your Dwarfs in order to train those animals.  DF-Wiki http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Kennel

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: November 07, 2010, 01:18:23 pm »

So, after my pitting experiments i've got quite a bunch of kobold and goblin corpses in refuse stockpiles.(partial skeletons already) How do i get rid of those?

in all my fortresses, my main export goods are clothes from dead invaders and bone crafts. make a dedicated bone carver, queue all the bone jobs from the craftsdwarf's workshop with repeat (will give you some cancellations but just ignore them) and you'll have a very healthy export economy soon. i usually have so many crafts (especially after the crafter gets to legendary) that i give traders a 10k profit every time, just to get rid of them. if you've done this already then you can still just atom smash all the corpses and be done with it.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: November 07, 2010, 03:30:56 pm »

Skeletons can't be carved. In the 31.xx series, the only bones you can get from invaders is from severed limbs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SuddenlyCreepers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: November 07, 2010, 06:11:47 pm »

I have honestly, never in my 5 or so months of playing DF, gotten to the iron making stage yet.
I just never bother with it, but I want to now.
Whats an easy way of getting set up for that?

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:19 pm »

I have honestly, never in my 5 or so months of playing DF, gotten to the iron making stage yet.
I just never bother with it, but I want to now.
Whats an easy way of getting set up for that?

The easiest (simplest) would be to embark in an area with a Sedimentary layer (it will be marked in White in the Embark preview - best seems to be Limestone).  You'll pretty much have everything you'd need all in one layer - Flux, Coal and the Iron Ores.  You'd only need one Charcoal (Wood Burning) to start the whole process off.

If you're talking about your current Fort, then it all depends on what you have available.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: November 07, 2010, 09:54:33 pm »

Skeletons can't be carved. In the 31.xx series, the only bones you can get from invaders is from severed limbs.

shit i didnt know that. shows how much attention i pay after q->(bone crafts)->r

can skeletons at least be broken up somehow? "Chewey" seems like such a beauty now, i remember he used to cut everything up nicely. maybe thats why i'm under the impression skeletons provide bones - i always got *goblin bone scepter* and stuff like that back then in that fort.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: November 07, 2010, 11:17:37 pm »

shit i didnt know that. shows how much attention i pay after q->(bone crafts)->r

can skeletons at least be broken up somehow? "Chewey" seems like such a beauty now, i remember he used to cut everything up nicely. maybe thats why i'm under the impression skeletons provide bones - i always got *goblin bone scepter* and stuff like that back then in that fort.

Skeletons and other body parts can be butchered at the butchers shop; the only products from this will be bones, whereas the same body parts fresh will yield all the other fun stuff. The reason *goblin bone scepters* are impossible to get is because Dwarves refuse to butcher sentient creatures; since they will not butcher the skeleton into its component bones, you will not be able to craft them. Sad, but true.

You could mod it such that dwarves are fine with butchering sentients; I myself do not know how.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: November 07, 2010, 11:29:29 pm »

Skeletons and other body parts can be butchered at the butchers shop; the only products from this will be bones, whereas the same body parts fresh will yield all the other fun stuff. The reason *goblin bone scepters* are impossible to get is because Dwarves refuse to butcher sentient creatures; since they will not butcher the skeleton into its component bones, you will not be able to craft them. Sad, but true.

You could mod it such that dwarves are fine with butchering sentients; I myself do not know how.

You would think dwarves would be fine with butchering goblins, elves, kobolds, and maybe even humans.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: November 08, 2010, 12:20:43 am »

You would think dwarves would be fine with butchering goblins, elves, kobolds, and maybe even humans.

You would think so, given the way this game goes; as it is they won't even butcher werewolves.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: November 08, 2010, 06:06:32 am »

IIRC, all you need to do is remove the [CAN_LEARN] tag from the raws. i think the wiki has clear instructions on how to do this as well. but i'd rather find some way without doing that. like some retracting bridge causes an *accident* and the corpses just happen to be in its way (though that will probably just shuffle them anyway).

i thought when corpses become nothing but skeletons, they break up on their own..... and here it is: DF2010:Corpse. Says that after some years it will end up a pile of bones anyway. But it is a bit too much to wait when they'll be stacking up with all the ambushes and sieges. better to start dumping early i guess.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: November 08, 2010, 06:50:56 am »

IIRC, all you need to do is remove the [CAN_LEARN] tag from the raws. i think the wiki has clear instructions on how to do this as well. but i'd rather find some way without doing that. like some retracting bridge causes an *accident* and the corpses just happen to be in its way (though that will probably just shuffle them anyway).

i thought when corpses become nothing but skeletons, they break up on their own..... and here it is: DF2010:Corpse. Says that after some years it will end up a pile of bones anyway. But it is a bit too much to wait when they'll be stacking up with all the ambushes and sieges. better to start dumping early i guess.
No need to make them dumb!
Just make [EAT_SAPIENT_KILL] and [EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER] acceptable!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: November 08, 2010, 10:55:16 am »

Is there a way to rename a squad?

Also on the corpse subject.. any way to mod corpses to turn into bones/skull faster?

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: November 08, 2010, 11:07:51 am »

Is there like a patch-note list? Verion list, with what has been fixed and such?
Its alot of reading when you've been away for some months, on the frontpage.

I just want to know what has been added/changed etc.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: November 08, 2010, 11:28:32 am »

There's the Known Bugs page on the wiki. That shows what version fixed what major bugs.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bugs
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1178