Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116716 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4185 on: October 07, 2010, 12:16:12 am »

A human caravan just left, and being my typically weird self I decided to check my depot accessibility. The whole screen flashes red except for a thin strip along my tunnel, and my depot is considered inaccessible. I just built a tower near my entrance and extended my tunnel out 10 spaces, but none of that should be in the way. There's also a bunch of saplings that popped up, but I don't think they stop caravans.

I know there aren't any wagons that will need that much room to go by, but would that stop any caravans?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: October 07, 2010, 12:26:20 am »

A human caravan just left, and being my typically weird self I decided to check my depot accessibility. The whole screen flashes red except for a thin strip along my tunnel, and my depot is considered inaccessible. I just built a tower near my entrance and extended my tunnel out 10 spaces, but none of that should be in the way. There's also a bunch of saplings that popped up, but I don't think they stop caravans.

I know there aren't any wagons that will need that much room to go by, but would that stop any caravans?

Nope, it doesn't stop them from turning up on foot.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4187 on: October 07, 2010, 01:10:00 am »

The whole screen flashes red except for a thin strip along my tunnel, and my depot is considered inaccessible.
Well, if you want to check WHY your depot is inaccessible, just follow the strip of green to where it stops, it radiates out from the depot, so it should be reasonably easy to find.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: October 07, 2010, 02:16:43 am »

Seems as good time as any to ask this:

I've never played a game of DF where the entire map wasn't entirely red for the caravans.  Is that not normal?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: October 07, 2010, 04:58:56 am »

I dislike doing this, but seeing as my question appears to have been ignored, I humbly quote it in hopes of an answer:

Repeater question (made a thread about it, but it was ignored, so I figure that qualifies it to be put here):

When building an n-step repeater, do I hook every pressure plate in the repeater to what I want repeating (such as my danger room)?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: October 07, 2010, 05:40:18 am »

I'm confused about your question a little bit. I don't know if I have the answer for which you're looking.

Pressure plate 1 should be linked to a floodgate to allow pressure plate 2 to be triggered which in turn is linked to another floodgate to allow pressure plate 3. Extrapolate further steps until you get to pressure plate n which triggers the actual mechanism intended, e.g. danger room traps. 
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: October 07, 2010, 05:53:34 am »

Really, any trigger that goes off and on can be hooked up.  That's the entire purpose of the repeater; to get the trigger going off and on.  Since there is no limit to the number of linkages to any trigger...

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: October 07, 2010, 07:06:22 am »

I'm looking for an embark with Phantom Spiders, as I've never done much with them before. I know from the raws they show up in both temperate and tropical evil forests.

My question is, when I embark on a location where they're present, will the map be full of webs right from embark, or do I need to give them time to do their thing? I seem to recall it being this way in older versions, and cave spider webs are certainly all over the caverns right from embark...

Yes. The webs will be visible upon embark. Good luck!

Chandrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: October 07, 2010, 08:25:25 am »

Question: Can you place stockpiles on constructed outdoor floors? I want to build an outdoor refuse stockpile that sticks out of a cliffside, if possible.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: October 07, 2010, 08:30:58 am »

I've never played a game of DF where the entire map wasn't entirely red for the caravans.  Is that not normal?

Check your depot. It should be green, including some surroundings.
Any green square is accessible by the wagon (which is not implemented as of now). If you build a 3-tile-wide path to the depot, only the middle tiles will light up green. Any green tile is accessible.
Also, wagons can only move up ramps, not stairs. Check the wiki on ramps.

Question: Can you place stockpiles on constructed outdoor floors? I want to build an outdoor refuse stockpile that sticks out of a cliffside, if possible.

Try it on a 1x1 constructed outdoor floor first.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4195 on: October 07, 2010, 08:31:08 am »

Stockpiles can be placed on constructed floors.  They can't be placed on bridges or roads or other buildings, but they can be placed on constructions like floors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: October 07, 2010, 08:44:03 am »

Check your depot. It should be green, including some surroundings.
Any green square is accessible by the wagon (which is not implemented as of now). If you build a 3-tile-wide path to the depot, only the middle tiles will light up green. Any green tile is accessible.
Also, wagons can only move up ramps, not stairs. Check the wiki on ramps.
The entire map is red.  Every map I've ever played, actually, which I find very, very odd now.  The only thing that isn't red are the middle 9 tiles of the depot that are yellow.  I have never seen these green tiles.  I can't possibly imagine what could cause this over so many versions and saves;  I'd just ignored it thinking it was unfinished or something.

I get caravans fine, though.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: October 07, 2010, 08:59:19 am »

Also, would a Great Engraver making an artifact make him Legendary +5 instantly?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Antabus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cabinet problem
« Reply #4198 on: October 07, 2010, 10:11:11 am »

I canīt assign any cabinet to my mayor, or anyone. Help?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cabinet problem
« Reply #4199 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:03 am »

I canīt assign any cabinet to my mayor, or anyone. Help?
Cabinets in a room assigned to a dwarf belong to that dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1178