Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116681 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4170 on: October 06, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »

Is medium savagery (i.e., "Wilderness") enough to cause Giant Desert Scorpions to show up in a desert biome? If not, what's the difference between "Wilderness" and "calm"?

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: October 06, 2010, 08:29:43 pm »

Do dwarves always attack with what's in their right hand? Urist is holding his shield in his right hand with his spear in the other, so will he automatically attack with the weapon?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: October 06, 2010, 09:48:38 pm »

How do I view a statue?  To see what it's depicting?  I can't seem to look at them through q or k after they're placed.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: October 06, 2010, 09:49:45 pm »

How do I view a statue?  To see what it's depicting?  I can't seem to look at them through q or k after they're placed.
't'
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: October 06, 2010, 09:58:51 pm »

't'

Ah, thank you very much!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: October 06, 2010, 10:13:50 pm »

Do dwarves always attack with what's in their right hand? Urist is holding his shield in his right hand with his spear in the other, so will he automatically attack with the weapon?
Yes, I think he will attack with the weapon.
But I'm basing this off adventure mode, so it could be different in fortress mode.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: October 06, 2010, 10:34:22 pm »

Is medium savagery (i.e., "Wilderness") enough to cause Giant Desert Scorpions to show up in a desert biome? If not, what's the difference between "Wilderness" and "calm"?

I had to bookmark this 'cos I always look for it as "Biomes" (& one of the redirects unhelpfully goes to Biomes, not Surroundings :(): http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Surroundings

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40:06 pm »

I had to bookmark this 'cos I always look for it as "Biomes" (& one of the redirects unhelpfully goes to Biomes, not Surroundings :(): http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Surroundings

I'm not seeing an answer on that page, but I fully admit I may in fact be blind. Perhaps phrased a different way -- do "neutral savagery" regions behave like "untamed wilds"-lite with fewer creatures, or "calm"-heavy with more creatures? Or are there RAW tags involved that the page doesn't mention?

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: October 06, 2010, 10:46:57 pm »

On the Justice tab of the Z-status screen:

What does the c and e mean next to the number of chains/cages?

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: October 06, 2010, 10:51:18 pm »

I'm not seeing an answer on that page, but I fully admit I may in fact be blind. Perhaps phrased a different way -- do "neutral savagery" regions behave like "untamed wilds"-lite with fewer creatures, or "calm"-heavy with more creatures? Or are there RAW tags involved that the page doesn't mention?

Regarding savagery, it's additive, as I think you're suggesting. That is "calm" zones have a base set of critters, "wilderness" has everything you get from calm plus some more scary critters like bears, and "untamed wilds" has everything that "calm" and "wilderness" does plus some really scary critters like giant eagles.

It's NOT additive regarding alignment. You'll only find "good" tagged creatures in "good" biomes, and "evil" tagged creatures in "evil" biomes.

To answer your original question, no: Giant desert scorpions will only show up in "Untamed Wilds", or their good/evil counterparts "Joyous Wilds" or "Terrifying".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: October 06, 2010, 11:17:41 pm »

Is there an easy way to read the combat report logs?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: October 06, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »

Is there an easy way to read the combat report logs?
Does (r) not work?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: October 06, 2010, 11:41:47 pm »

Quickly pasted from the thread I made on the subject in the suggestions forum.

I like to read, allow 10-20 steps, read, and repeat just to keep up with things as they're happening.  Maybe I need to go about things differently somehow, because I've looked and seen no other complaints about this.  I just find it incredibly difficult and time consuming to figure out which entities received updates to their combat reports and it's also not always clear which ones are related and in just what order things are happening from one creature to the next.

For example

Squad #1 (Urist McBlah) is fighting!
Dark strangler wrestler is fighting!
Squad #1 (Urist McWhatever) is fighting!
Squad #3 (Urist McSplosion) is fighting!

In order to discover that both Squad #1 are in fact attacking the same strangler while one of those soldiers is getting harassed by the other two stranglers, I have to look at every single creatures update screen one at a time and cross-reference updates in my head to match things up and figure it out.  Then there's Squad #3 who has taken no actions since last time I looked at him, but I still have to check to figure out that only the top 5 creatures on the list have been updated.

It's possible that I'm missing something, but I've done plenty of searching and found nothing to make it easier.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: October 06, 2010, 11:43:05 pm »

My bad, I remembered it as listing creatures for Benign & Neutral Savagery levels too. sorry.

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: October 06, 2010, 11:56:46 pm »

I'm looking for an embark with Phantom Spiders, as I've never done much with them before. I know from the raws they show up in both temperate and tropical evil forests.

My question is, when I embark on a location where they're present, will the map be full of webs right from embark, or do I need to give them time to do their thing? I seem to recall it being this way in older versions, and cave spider webs are certainly all over the caverns right from embark...
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 1178